U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:52 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,907,475 times

Advertisements

The news reported tonight about animal sacrifices in the state for religious purposes. Do you agree with this type of religious action?

Followers of Santeria do practice animal sacrifices as part of their religion, and the constitution does allow this.

Is this Faith or Cruelty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 10:01 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
its about the law.
you may believe what you want but acting on that belief must be within the law.
my personal opinion of satanic and voodoo black magic, based on personal experience, is not good.
cultures and religions that break the law have lost their cloak of religious privilege.
that covers a lot of ground doesn't it including christian.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:05 PM

8,204 posts, read 31,555,612 times
We want to be careful not to consider Santeria and Satanism as having anything to do with each other, because they don't.

Followers of Santeria may offer animal sacrifices to their gods/goddesses, but I don't think all do. I've never personally been present at one, but I would expect that the sacrifice is done quickly and as painlessly as possible. There is great respect for the animal as it is meant to appease the gods/goddesses and to ask for something in return, so the follower would not do anything to the animal that would upset the gods/goddesses.

Is it animal cruelty? I'd lean more towards it not being cruelty. I think what happens to get a hamburger on a plate is far more cruel than a chicken being sacrificed in the name of a god.

We allow cows to be slaughtered following Kosher standards, so I think the chicken being sacrificed is similar, there are Santeria standards being followed.

All that being said, I do not want the chicken to be sacrificed. I am a long-time vegetarian, animal rescuer and sometimes animal activist. I'm also a supporter of minority religious rights, or the rights of the non-religious, such as atheism. Just because a religion is different from someone's majority religion does not make it "evil" or "satanic", and those are christian-created ideas anyway, there is no "Satan" in many of the world's religions.

This is a good link for anyone who wants to find out a bit more and it mentions an author Louisa Teish who has written some very approachable, easy to understand books about the Santeria religion:

darkmother.net - your portal to our african origins and godmothers

Old 06-25-2008, 04:09 AM

12,870 posts, read 12,770,385 times
if voodoo actually worked, haiti would not be possibly the poorest country in the world. these animals are being sacrificed out of stupidity.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:15 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,796,361 times
We have to be tolerant towards others religions, its sad but it seems people of conventional religions like the big 2 or 3 often consider other religions to be cults. They have the right to practive just as you do, there was a time that your religion was considered a radical cult as well.

I don't see how this is any more cruel than the cruelty of the meat industry. If you've ever watched a special on the treatment of animals before slaughtering as well as at the factory after, you will see cruelty in action for that hamburger on the table.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
We want to be careful not to consider Santeria and Satanism as having anything to do with each other, because they don't.

Followers of Santeria may offer animal sacrifices to their gods/goddesses, but I don't think all do. I've never personally been present at one, but I would expect that the sacrifice is done quickly and as painlessly as possible. There is great respect for the animal as it is meant to appease the gods/goddesses and to ask for something in return, so the follower would not do anything to the animal that would upset the gods/goddesses.

Is it animal cruelty? I'd lean more towards it not being cruelty. I think what happens to get a hamburger on a plate is far more cruel than a chicken being sacrificed in the name of a god.

We allow cows to be slaughtered following Kosher standards, so I think the chicken being sacrificed is similar, there are Santeria standards being followed.

All that being said, I do not want the chicken to be sacrificed. I am a long-time vegetarian, animal rescuer and sometimes animal activist. I'm also a supporter of minority religious rights, or the rights of the non-religious, such as atheism. Just because a religion is different from someone's majority religion does not make it "evil" or "satanic", and those are christian-created ideas anyway, there is no "Satan" in many of the world's religions.

This is a good link for anyone who wants to find out a bit more and it mentions an author Louisa Teish who has written some very approachable, easy to understand books about the Santeria religion:

darkmother.net - your portal to our african origins and godmothers

Excellent presentation...

Old 06-25-2008, 03:35 PM

All the replies do present excellent points of view. Faina00 makes a great point that because we don't understand a religion or how their practices are we will jump to conclusions that might not be correct.

Riveree also mentions Santeria and Satanism and both are not related. Due to the large influence of families from all over the world in our state we have a diversity that probably is not found in every state of our great nation.

Have you experienced or attended a Santeria ritual and can provide more info on how this is incorporated into our state. The more information that we have the better we can understand this religion. Here are a few links for info:

Leonidas 2
SanterĂ*a - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SANTERIA, LA REGLA LUCUMI, and LUKUMI
BBC - Religion & Ethics - Santeria

Old 06-25-2008, 07:39 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,224,271 times
You must be talking about that news story here in Orlando.

My opinion if it`s part of the religion then so be it, and all this is caused by a bunch of nosy neighbors.

There comes a time in everyones life when they should just mind your business, the police looked into it and it was found they are doing nothing illegal so they should leave it alone and go on with life.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,226,903 times
I wonder why they are not fined by Team Metro for possessing livestock? They sure harass people for things like compost barrels and rainwater storage.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:17 PM

8,204 posts, read 31,555,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
We have to be tolerant towards others religions, its sad but it seems people of conventional religions like the big 2 or 3 often consider other religions to be cults. They have the right to practive just as you do, there was a time that your religion was considered a radical cult as well.

I don't see how this is any more cruel than the cruelty of the meat industry. If you've ever watched a special on the treatment of animals before slaughtering as well as at the factory after, you will see cruelty in action for that hamburger on the table.
Absolutely Faina!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or