U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2008, 06:28 PM

96 posts, read 460,486 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, which Gulf Coast Florida city has:

The most liberal population?

The largest gay community?

The most diverse (ethnic) community?

The best art community?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:08 PM

6,477 posts, read 13,148,092 times
Tampa

Old 06-25-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Tampa
Thanks for replying. Would you care to elaborate on your answer?

Old 06-25-2008, 09:36 PM

13,566 posts, read 23,068,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Curt View Post
In your opinion, which Gulf Coast Florida city has:

The most liberal population?
Tampa is pretty liberal. Not that there aren't conservatives, but I found Tampa to be more liberal. Maybe because there are a great many folks from all over the country

The largest gay community?
I agree Tampa, if you are talking about the Gulf Coast only.

The most diverse (ethnic) community?
Tampa is very diverse.

The best art community?
Art.. well there are several theaters where you will find broadway plays and other venues. There are a lot of art shows in the Tampa Bay area. Dunedin has a little artsy town. What are you looking for?

Thanks!
Hope that gives you some info. If you are a little more specific, we can answer your questions.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 06-25-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Hope that gives you some info. If you are a little more specific, we can answer your questions.
Your answers helped a lot, thanks.

More specifically re the art question: Are their any pop culture or "low brow" type art shows in Tampa or the St. Pete areas? (For a definition of low brow, see this link: Lowbrow (art movement) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks.

Last edited by Sailor Curt; 06-25-2008 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: Fix problem with link

Old 06-26-2008, 08:08 AM

13,566 posts, read 23,068,505 times
Since I have neither low or high brow art knowledge, I will give you what little info I have.

There is a Salvador Dali museum in St. Pete and Ybor city in Tampa has some art stores/galleries.

You might want to ask your question on the Tampa forum, there are more 'hip' folks who would know.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 06-26-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Since I have neither low or high brow art knowledge, I will give you what little info I have.

There is a Salvador Dali museum in St. Pete and Ybor city in Tampa has some art stores/galleries.

You might want to ask your question on the Tampa forum, there are more 'hip' folks who would know.
Thank you again for your reply and for the new information. I'm sure the Tampa forum will be helpful.

Actually, I am already a bit aware of what there is to offer on the Gulf Coast, but wanted to hear the opinions of locals or people who have visited there.

I have currently set my sights on the Tampa/St. Pete area, with a real focus on owning a condo in St. Pete, preferably, as close to the water as possible.

I don't need to have everything that I want right outside my front door, but I do like to know that the things that are important in my life are very close at hand (or at least a short drive away).

I have visited St. Pete a few times and a few years ago, went to Dunedin with the express purpose of evaluating that town as a potential place to live. (I found it a bit too small, among other things).

St. Pete appeals to me because it at least has a bit of its older architecture still in place, I like the beaches, and have always found the people to be friendly.

How available is organic food in the Tampa/St. Pete area?

Thanks again.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:13 AM

440 posts, read 1,701,918 times
Though we do have a pretty special community of artists here along our Emerald Coast, we would have to agree that the St Pete area is probably more what you are seeking. Having lived in Dunedin, Tampa, Pass-A-Grille, and Bradenton ....... both Dunedin & Pass-A-Grille would be our choice to live in if we found ourselves there again.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bohemians View Post
Though we do have a pretty special community of artists here along our Emerald Coast, we would have to agree that the St Pete area is probably more what you are seeking. Having lived in Dunedin, Tampa, Pass-A-Grille, and Bradenton ....... both Dunedin & Pass-A-Grille would be our choice to live in if we found ourselves there again.
Dunedin has some great homes there, of that there is no doubt. When I was there, I saw some of the nicest mid-century modern homes that I have ever seen. But I just found the area slightly smaller than I had hoped for and the beach was not as thriving as I would really want.

The Pass-A-Grille area is very much a charming place. And the Starlight Tower and Don CeSar buildings are simply fantastic. (I recently found a condo in the Starlight that was on the market and have been intrigued by the area since). I would be interested in hearing from people who live in that area, by the way.

My wife and I are both considering a move to Florida. Now the only thing we have to do is find a place that both of us can agree on! (We have the same tastes, but she is slightly more demanding about certain cultural things, such as access to art communities. Demanding, but not inflexible! I share her same passions for all of the things that I listed in my original post, but would be willing to let the beauty of a beach override my own needs for those to some extent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida