U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 02:30 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,941,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
TANaples - Great post! Add another "pale, vampire" wanna be to the list. I have been avoiding the sun since I was about 15 years old. At 15 I met a woman in her 60s who had great skin, I asked her what her secret was, she said it was living in NY for most of her life. Even though I don't go out in the sun that much, as little as possible, I still have a simi tan skin with lots of sun damage (freckles). They say most people do enough damage to their sun before 18 years of age. Which I know will one day turn into skin cancer. Runwithscissors you actually sums up what I do to avoid the sun and one reason why I want to leave Florida.
I just moved from NY last year and will turn 60 this November. I hope what you said is true and a few years here doesn't reverse the trend.

I read somewhere that the women in the British Isles have the nicest complexions and one of the lowest rates of skin cancer.

Must be true. Just look at the weather there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 08:24 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,129,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
TANaples - Great post! Add another "pale, vampire" wanna be to the list. I have been avoiding the sun since I was about 15 years old. At 15 I met a woman in her 60s who had great skin, I asked her what her secret was, she said it was living in NY for most of her life. Even though I don't go out in the sun that much, as little as possible, I still have a simi tan skin with lots of sun damage (freckles). They say most people do enough damage to their sun before 18 years of age. Which I know will one day turn into skin cancer. Runwithscissors you actually sums up what I do to avoid the sun and one reason why I want to leave Florida.
YEP good thing I love the porch at night like the prev poster said. I love the rain also. I read that they invented the UV protective clothing because of the huge melanoma rates in Australia and sunscreen was cost prohibitive and not working enough anyway. I even have the goofy hat with the flap on the neck ha ha.

Believe it or not, 2 weeks before I was going to move here I went for my annual screening and the dermatologist greeted me with "oh great you saved your Basal Cell for me?"

She saw a skin cancer under my eye without her magical glasses from 3 feet away. And another abnormal one on my lower back I had to have surgically removed. Now I get to go every three months. But no melanoma so that's a plus.

I've never had great timing LOL.

I had my car windows and rental house tinted with Sun Dial 3M and it helps tremendously. Supposedly it prevents 99% of UV. But I have two small birds living here and they think it's time for bed by 5 PM now, poor guys.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:08 AM

33 posts, read 135,977 times
Every place you live is what you make it. South Florida IS hot and humid. You should have known that before you moved down there. Unhip? No chance. Miami's the style capital of the south and a beautiful, diverse place with so much to do.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjpimentel View Post
Every place you live is what you make it. South Florida IS hot and humid. You should have known that before you moved down there. Unhip? No chance. Miami's the style capital of the south and a beautiful, diverse place with so much to do.
Well since you live in New Hampshire and will be attending school in North Florida I can understand your point of view.

Also, it's good, it's the type of attitude that I, as a mom like to see in my son, too. But remember the OP is a grown woman with an "older" mother so what's fun for you might not be fun for them.

Yes she should have known it was humid and hot lol, but I'm sure her point was to dramatize the experience she's having here. Living in heat and humidity can be a trade off for other positives and she hasn't found them yet.

Wait till you get here, you'll see what people are talking about. My son went to school in Boca and what an eye opener. He called it the 13th grade and had to move off campus at 18 because he couldn't concentrate in the party ridden, alcohol poisoned ambulance calling dorms lol. But yeah, he had fun alright. Just like all 18 yr olds.

However, living here is a different matter. Not everyone lives in Miami (or wants to) and not everyone speaks Spanish and not everyone can live in a deco hotel on South Beach. Or would want to.

The term SOUTH FLORIDA encompasses a vast area, and most of it is nothing more than housing developments and strip centers and chain stores and restaurants just like other states. FLL to Miami would take up the better part of two hours just in the drive (if not more door to door) BTW.

But regardless, I'm sure you'll have a great time in college and best of luck. (as a mom I gotta say, watch the partying though, it's really EXTREME down here if you're i a dorm)

Old 06-29-2008, 09:37 AM

711 posts, read 1,626,067 times
What's unhip?

1) Asserting NYC should be the model for all cities
2) Freezing in winter, muddy slush in spring
3) Public transportation: a slow expensive boondoggle disease vector
4) Being gouged by your neighborhood grocer
5) City councils who think it's their job to save me from big-box stores. See #4.
6) The cost of living in a supposedly hip urban "mecca"
7) Public corruption. If you think Miami is bad, it's got nothing on NYC or Chicago
8) Snobs who spend their time proclaiming how "hip", "cultured", and "superior" their personal lifestyle choices are

Old 06-29-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
What's unhip?

1) Asserting NYC should be the model for all cities
2) Freezing in winter, muddy slush in spring
3) Public transportation: a slow expensive boondoggle disease vector
4) Being gouged by your neighborhood grocer
5) City councils who think it's their job to save me from big-box stores. See #4.
6) The cost of living in a supposedly hip urban "mecca"
7) Public corruption. If you think Miami is bad, it's got nothing on NYC or Chicago
8) Snobs who spend their time proclaiming how "hip", "cultured", and "superior" their personal lifestyle choices are
Well maybe the OP will return and define it since they were her words. And I thought it was obvious she was going for alliteration. Meanwhile I don't see any of #8 except for the pro Miami contingent.

1. Nobody said that. NYC was one of several cities mentioned and the point was made that you cannot compare FLL to any other city of dissimilar population. Pittsburgh was mentioned with a pop of about 350,000 probably smaller than Miami.

And as I stated, Miami is ruled out for many of us since Spanish is the norm there. UNLIKE other snobby Northern and Western cities lol.

Further, these urban cities enjoy plenty of communities that are not an urban vibe and extensive SUBurban communities enjoying the same benefits as "downtown".

2. Some people love winter.

3. Don't understand what that means. boondoggle disease vector. Let's break it down.

boondoggle: wasteful unnecessary pursuit
disease: (got it)
vector: carrier

OHhhhh....people going to work and play are actually on a boondoggle (remind me to tell my boss) and people who take a plane or train for vacation are just unnecessarily spreading disease.

4. wow never heard of bashing small business.

No, just want some produce that isnt withered, yellow and old, let me know where I can find that please? Except Whole Foods in FL. I've been driving around for MILES and still cant find any greens that arent yellow. I'm actually MOVING potentially somewhere in FL depending on the grocery. Kinda lame, I know.

In my old SUBurban neighborhood outside of Phila I could walk to several stores such as hardware stores (haven't seen one yet, here) and the asian grocer where the "greens" selection alone was 12 linear feet, fresh and cheaper than our chain supermarkets. Our chain supermarkets (several) all have fresh produce at inexpensive prices, too.

5. I am not aware of any City Councils prohibiting big box stores and if you can tell me of more than one occasion that Walmart [I do remember one instance of it) was kept out it's news to me. We are speaking of MOM AND POP store support. And DIVERSITY in our non big box stores.

Rest assured that every city I mentioned has PLENTIFUL big box stores everwhere.

6. Cost of living in the cities I mentioned is excellent compared to here. My former company paid $30 per hour plus full bennies including college tuition program for a union position in a call center and pays Tampa's non union employees $9.00 per hour with less bennies and even no bennies and 3 year term not permanent. Here you can't even get a bus or cab regardless of how much you pay in taxes. PLUS poor schools and housing that people can't afford (still)?

There's a 600 sq ft 1/1 condo over here selling for $35,000 and they're saying the taxes are 2500.00. Not waterfront and not any great neighborhood.

In my old neighborhood A single 3-4 br house on a quarter acre selling for 200,000 paid 3000.00 in taxes. I'm not seeing it.

7. Corruption? LOL Isn't that a stretch? Well, nobody mentioned corruption here and I have no clue. The only corruption I know of in my old neighborhood (a SUBburb) was the city admin going to jail for stealing 6 weeks vacation. Of course we know about Chicago, what impact exactly does that have to everyday life relative to this discussion, I'm not sure and judging from my friends who live there, they agree.

The only corruption scandal I know of lately was Chicago making fois gras illegal and reversing the law without hearings. [wow, filthy scoundrels LOL]

Our former Phila mayor was big Eddie Rendell whom you've seen on tv who is the governor now, and has always been popular and continues to be.

See that's the problem I think. NYC doesn't claim to be a tropical paradise. Nor do any of the other cities I mentioned. The point is, newcomers have given up SEVERAL quality of life measures in exchange for weather and beach. And paid for it with hard cash.

I see how it works though, it's like only the citizens who were here before NEW ones get to complain. Anybody NEW has to put up or shut up? LOL Maybe the OP was lacking tact (don't think she cares, though) but the defensive insistence that other places are "bad" is sorta odd, imo.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:28 AM

crossposting another thread about job loss by politicians in Miami

how dumb are these guys

Old 06-29-2008, 12:29 PM

31,005 posts, read 19,500,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post
Actually, being "unhip" is a positive rather than a negative.

People who consider themselves "hip" are usually condisending, self centered, conformists who ironically think themselves to be nonconformists.

I saw enough of that narrow mindedness in the 60s.
This is not considered a rude post?

Old 06-29-2008, 04:47 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,512,809 times
Agree, that is why my WHOLE FAMILY and I are moving back to Massachusetts in October... I cannot wait... I just have to deal with this lovely heat for 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
If she doesn't like it here, her Mom doesn't like it here, they should both find a way to leave together and be where they will both be happy. Maybe that cannot happen right away, but they can work on it.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:10 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,941,244 times
Default I congratulate you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
Agree, that is why my WHOLE FAMILY and I are moving back to Massachusetts in October... I cannot wait... I just have to deal with this lovely heat for 3 months.
Good luck. I hope to do the same someday. In the meantime, just taking it one day at a time.

PS. LOVE your description of where you live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or