Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2006, 09:19 PM

24 posts, read 33,596 times

Advertisements

Anybody know what life is like there?

Old 05-19-2006, 09:47 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 997,505 times
I live here.
What do you want to know?

If I had to define present-day St. Augustine using as few words as possible, i'd probably call it 'Ten Pounds Of ****t in a Five Pound Bag'.

Massive 21st Century Tourism and Overpopulation with 'quaint' 16th Century Infrastructure.
It used to be a great place to live.

Last edited by Yac; 04-29-2009 at 07:00 AM..

Old 05-25-2006, 06:20 PM

33 posts, read 100,888 times
LM-1
I'm sure you are only saying that because you don't want anyone else to move there. Unless it has changed drastically in the last 2 years, it is such a lovely area. Do you happen to know what happened to Monk's Vineyard on George's St.? It was closed down and for sale then and I was wondering if it ever reopened. You probably don't go to George's St much, I guess it might be too touristy if you live there all the time. My husband loves the little pub there. I think the St. Augustine Beaches are so beautiful, we stay at the Bryn Mawr Camping resort and in the morning I bring my kids out early to see the sunrise...it doesn't get much better than that! I wish we didn't have to move to Tampa b/c I 'd move to St. Augustine in a second.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:16 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 997,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirlGoinSouth
LM-1
I'm sure you are only saying that because you don't want anyone else to move there. Unless it has changed drastically in the last 2 years, it is such a lovely area. Do you happen to know what happened to Monk's Vineyard on George's St.? It was closed down and for sale then and I was wondering if it ever reopened. You probably don't go to George's St much, I guess it might be too touristy if you live there all the time. My husband loves the little pub there. I think the St. Augustine Beaches are so beautiful, we stay at the Bryn Mawr Camping resort and in the morning I bring my kids out early to see the sunrise...it doesn't get much better than that! I wish we didn't have to move to Tampa b/c I 'd move to St. Augustine in a second.
I actually used to live on St. George Street in one of the apartments right near the Monks Vineyard. I haven't been down there for a while, but last I heard, they were still trying to sell it.

It isn't really that I "don't want anyone else to move here". I own real estate here that I will be retaining for my eventual retirement, so the more people who move here, the better since I am on my way out. My real discontent comes from the fact that I know what St. Augustine used to be.
Not 2 or 3 or 5 or even 10 years ago. 15 years ago. 20 years ago. When you could walk down Anastasia Boulevard in the middle of a Saturday afternoon and see 3 cars. When there were still "stores" in St. George Street that didn't sell T Shirts and Postcards.

Had I never seen what St. Augustine "used to be", i'd probably love it here. Sadly, knowing what it once was, I can't stand what it's become.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:30 AM

33 posts, read 100,888 times
That is really sad. My husband introduced the area to me when we first met in 1990 , he had been vacationing there with his family since he was a boy. His dad introduced his mom to the area when she first came here from England in the 50's so it kind of holds a little history for our family as a beloved vacation spot. I know my in laws would love to retire there. It is a bummer when they make charming areas full of tshirt and souvenir shops. As a tourist I don't even want to look at that crap, but as a resident it must be really annoying! Well have comfort knowing that unfortunately, no matter where you go in any coastal community this is what is happening, I am seeing the same thing happening here in Point Pleasant, NJ, not so pleasant anymore actually.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,840 times
St. Augustine is a gorgeous area and it is terrible if it has been turned into a Disney World. I had my honeymoon there in 1982 and it was even starting then but worse the last time I was there in 1998.

I remember sitting there in the evening and watching the fog roll in and enjoying the sights, sounds and fragrances of a historical city.

--Laura

Old 07-23-2006, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 9,345 times
Life in St.Augustine is laid back.The people here overall are friendly,but it seems as though it is hard to meet singles as it seems to primarily be a family town.I moved here from upstate N.Y.6 months ago and I really like it here. The area is beautiful,rich in history and living by the ocean is a wonder in itself.The downtown area is amazing and there is actually night life here,but it is limited. Jacksonville is about 30 minutes away for bigger city life and all it has to offer. I guess it all depends on where you are coming from and what you expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida