U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:23 PM

66 posts, read 142,846 times

Advertisements

Please, will someone tell me your honest opinion of the differences between these two communities?

I understand they are next to each other, and used to be part of the same development.

I am a single young senior, female, who would be living alone with small pets.

I have not seen either, and am considering renting in that area sight unseen, as it costs too much and is a lot of effort for me to come down there making pet arrangements, etc. to look around. There are photos of the units posted online and I have talked w/owners.

Also, I have a family member in Port Orange and he cannot understand why I do not want to go there instead. I was in the area for a few weeks last winter, and being a mature single person with no children around, it seems to me that Ormond beachside has more activity. Easier access to shopping, beach, and everything else.

Am I correct in thinking that Ormond is more lively for a young single senior citizen? I am in my 50's, and not ready for a rocking chair. Not nightlife, either...just people moving around in the evening shopping and so on. Port Orange seemed so quiet last year after sundown.

I am up North and do not want to spend another winter here. Thank you to any who answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 10:19 PM

574 posts, read 1,843,614 times
Actually no matter where you live, from Ormond down to Port Orange, the travel distance between them is not that far so you can be a part of all the activities if you want. I think Daytona has the most night life if that is what you are looking for. Beachside has more night clubs, bars, etc. of course, but in my opinion there is way more shopping available on the mainland side in everyone of our communities (I live in Port Orange). I wouldn't say P.O. is that sleepy of a town either. We have three kids and two of them are older teenagers. They seem to always have something to do around here and seem happy. I would love to be a bit closer to the beach too, but there are some downsides to it. Your vehicles rust a lot more quickly because of the salt air and in the event of a tropical storm or hurricane approaching (thankfully it is not all that common, but usually one or two threats a year) you are the first group to have to evacuate. Also, if you live on the mainland side, you need to consider that you will probably still not be more than about 20 minutes from the beach. If you have any specific questions do not hesitate to ask. I am 49 and have lived in the area all of my life.

Nancy

Old 06-27-2008, 12:03 AM

1,343 posts, read 4,674,638 times
Didn't you post earlier about Ellinor Village under another name?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:48 AM

Default Thanks to BioAdoptMom3 and SSGII

First, Thank you Nancy for helpful information. I am new here and I thought I left a post in reply last night, but looks like I did not know how to do it. Hope this one works. I know Port Orange is safe and everyone says it is "family oriented". The only thing is...my family is 2 cats and an old Chihuahua.

I know your kids have plenty to do, and thus so do you, with those kids. However, looking at it through my eyes, it seemed dark and lonely in the evening when I just want to go out and see some folks. I thought the beach area with what I perceive as more activity, would be better for me.

That being said, from Dunlawton to A1A to ISB is downright desolate at night in the winter. And I mean before midnight. So, I thought with Bellaire Plaza and Granada Plaza...with all the restaurants and markets, would have some people milling about in the evening.

Thanks for the info about the rust and evacuations. I had not thought of that. I really appreciate your taking the time to do that.

Now..SSGII...yes, I did. That fell through, and I have now learned about Ocean Village Villas. The reason I am asking is...I had heard that OVV is more groomed as far as grounds go, and makes a more pleasant atmosphere. And in case you are wondering, the only reason I have another name is because I signed up with this one first, and forgot all about it. But the forum did not..and one day here it was again, not even asking for my password, so I just jumped in and used it. Nothing nefarious, in case you were wondering. I do thank you, too. I don't know what to do. The winter and heating oil prices are scary. I think I would rather spend that money on rent at the beach, instead of on heating oil. Thanks again.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 11,308 times
Default Ellinor Village, Ormond Beach, FL 32176

Ellinor Village is located on the Ormond Peninsula walking distance to the beach and the intracoastal waterway. The neighborhood is a mix of single family, duplex and triplex properties. Large lots, brick decco style and palm tree lined streets describe the properties. The buildings are great for owner users where you can live full or part-time on one side and rent the other side. For more details call Miller Real Estate, Inc. (386)677-3002

Old 01-18-2009, 06:52 AM
ptm

16 posts, read 65,475 times
Just wondering, WonderingWhere, what you decided and if you've moved.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:20 PM

Hi ptm. No, still here freezing and pondering all this. I was set to come down, but I got waylaid with uncertainty over where to go.

I am familiar with the Ormond/Daytona/Port Orange areas and they are lovely and all that, but upon further thought, I really prefer a more walkable area. I want to spend more time than just the winter. I am presently researching other locations in Florida. I would love more activity within walking distance, hence searching a downtown area that is desirable and affordable. This is not easy. It does not even have to be Florida. Myrtle Beach looked nice, but too cold in the winter. I love California and would go in an instant, if I could afford somewhere nice. I have never been to the west coast of Florida, but am considering there.

Why do you ask? My best regards to you, and thanks for the question.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:58 PM
ptm

Hi WonderingWhere -

Well, I guess I'm curious what other people go through in trying to decide where to relocate to. I would love to move to Ormond Beach, mainly because I have friends there and visit every year, and because I am so sick of the cold and snow.

I thought about other areas, too, and did some research, but I cannot picture myself moving some place where I know nobody. I like Ormond Beach from what I've learned in my research, but I also like St. Augustine, which I think would meet some of your criteria. The downtown area is just amazing with lots to do.

I am torn, though, because I have two grown children, one of whom lives with me and the other living in CT (I am in the Boston area). I am struggling with the thought of separation from them and don't know if I can do it.

Time will tell for me, and in the meantime, I will take my vacations and enjoy the warmth!

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:11 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,135,593 times
Most people with good connections with their family have a hard time doing a permanent move.
If you can the best thing to do is be a winter snow-bird. Rent in the winter months.......then return home in the spring.
It may be too costly to do that for some, Florida is quite high in rental prices.
Perhaps some area in SC would suit you. The rentals would be more reasonable, you escape winter and get to return back home to family.
It seems to work very well for those we have met here in SC. I have seen rentals here as low as 500 and 600 per month. The airport is in a good location also....Just an idea...

Old 01-23-2009, 07:20 AM
ptm

I was actually referring to the part time move, six months or so in Florida and the rest in NH where I have a home. I say Florida because I have a number of friends and relatives living there, with my brother retiring there in two years or so. Even leaving for that amount of time is scary for me.

I think at this point all I can hope for is extended vacations during the winter months, and when the economy turns around, maybe I will be in a better financial position to buy something. I am not stressing over this ... time will tell and things just seem to work themselves out.

Thanks for your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida