Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: cost of living, tax help, market, retirement, home prices.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:14 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,089,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
This IS the kind of Homework people Should DO BEFORE they move! Not move Then Complain about the new location...GREAT Work!!

Superb point... This is the research that is negated, you can't complain if you don't explore what will be affecting you...

Florida just like California is not for everyone, the same problems that we have in FL are also in-place in most of our states. Sometimes we accept a risk to start a new life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 06:30 PM

132 posts, read 425,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
This IS the kind of Homework people Should DO BEFORE they move! Not move Then Complain about the new location...GREAT Work!!
Thanks!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:46 PM

395 posts, read 1,535,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B to the T View Post
Isn't everything relative? The tide raises all ships...

My point was the excessive complaining about how tough they have it and the over all negitivity... Floridians have not cornered the market in high taxes etc... Oklahoma was the cheapest, it was ranked 50th... maybe that is an option for those who don't like FL?
It sure is for us.My hubby and I have a one to two year plan to move to Oklahoma City.Yeah they do tax groceries and there is a state income tax, but housing there is less expensive along with HOI and property taxes.We are lower income. We could not afford to move to any of the metro areas in Florida even if we wanted to stay. I do not make much money, but with what I do I can get a job in Oklahoma City easily.

I really do not hate Florida. I was born and raised here. I am just sort of ho-hum about it. After spending most of my thirty-seven years here I want to experience what it is like to have four seasons. I want to experience life elsewhere.There are also some stressors in my life here that will no longer be once we have moved. I am really looking forward to beginning a whole new chapter of my life. I also want to re-experience what it is like to only go through two tanks of gas a month rather than eight.

We know that life in Oklahoma will not be perfect, but we are hoping for better opportunities in OKC.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:25 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,723,341 times
Come on and move here buddy... Go 6 months and then you tell us how great it is here.... Crappy pay, death heat, foreclosures up the ying yang, BAD health system, terrible economy, NO JOBS worth a crap, need I go on? AND in case you don't know this since you ARE NOT EVEN HERE, the tax rates are different for EACH county, some 6%, some 7% some 8%.... WIN.... NOT FLORIDA! You are like other people who come here with big dreams, then after a few months(if that long) find out, this is not paradise or the promised land...

NUFF SAID?

Quote:
OK... so I am a Cali guy who has yet to move to or live in Florida (just visits) but this might all soon change... but I have been warned by others and have read on here so many people complaining about property tax and the high cost of living etc... let me share a few things with you from where I am at, maybe the FLHaters will see things differently

State income Tax
California has it... Florida does not
Win goes to FL

Sales Tax
CA avg 7.25%
FL avg 6%
Win goes to FL

Fuel tax per gallon
CA $0.639
FL $0.516
Win goes to FL

Combined Tax burden ranking 2007 (State/Local/Federal... #1 being the worst)
CA 8th
FL 12th
Win goes to FL

Nuff said?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:27 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,194,715 times
Jobs/Wages

Win goes to C to the A 'nuff said

Old 06-27-2008, 08:32 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,723,341 times
Any state wins over F to the LORIDA... It's a joke trying to live here with the wages we get paid in F to the LORIDA.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Jobs/Wages

Win goes to C to the A 'nuff said

Old 06-27-2008, 10:05 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,476,147 times
Quote:
why is it that the stats I displayed made you so angry at me? The messenger has been shot, the message stays the same...

Thanks and have a great weekend!
I'm not angry with you but I do question the integrity of your post which is the reason I responded.

Supposedly, you are a 50yr old single male who looks 35 & likes to date younger woman (you generously supplied this info). So, you are not moving to FL with a family to support. You have never actually lived in the state, so you have never experienced what frustrates some; many times those with families. Most people in the state of FL do not make the income you stated you will supposedly be receiving.

Stats mean squat to me. They are stats that are made for an agenda. Those general stats are about as pointless as can be & provide nothing new.
CA costs one thing & FL costs another. Ok. Most people are not leaving the state due to property taxes or cost of gas. Many are moving to the state b/c they prefer the weather & way of living FL has to offer.

We did all the research. We did all the research & all the stats & all the stuff those who would die for the state of FL think those people who did not care for it were to stupid to do. We did all the research b/c we were choosing to move there & wanted it to be a positive experience.

We saw what we did in SWFL after LIVING there. We also have children and we wanted them to be near family. When that opportunity arose, we jumped on it.

We don't blame FL for anything. That makes no sense. If anything, our experience there made us appreciate even more so what we have today & where we are today. Our son had the chance to play in the ocean every weekend for months on end. What a great opportunity for him. He now gets to play with his cousins every weekend & see his grandparents a few times a week. It was a no brainer for us. But, that's US & it works for US.

I will have a great weekend. Thanks!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:31 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,089,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
Any state wins over F to the LORIDA... It's a joke trying to live here with the wages we get paid in F to the LORIDA.......
Your goals might be one that can't be achieved in this state. Best of luck from the ones that are staying and hoping to continue work and achieve our own plan. As many of us said before for some this is hell while for other is paradise.

I just hope that your desires are multiplied regarless of your future and hopefully one day you can look back and understand that a state does not make the person, the person makes his own path regarless of the outcome.

Best of luck from one that found a path of success and as many others have also found a home here in Florida.

Thank you.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:57 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,981,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I agree! The chronic complaining about Florida gets tiresome. I also believe it gives people who come to City Data for relocation information a skewed view of the state and its people. No place is perfect, but Florida has many good points that often get lost in the negativity. One of the biggest pluses for me is the friendliness of the people who live in Florida. I'm always amazed at how truly nice Floridians are to deal with and how helpful they are when you need a hand.
This is very true, also, if you are a beach person, no other place in the country has beaches as beautiful as Florida does. And one can pull the car right over and stay in the beach in Sarasota. Destin and Navarre have pure white sand!!!!!!!!gorgeous views!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:06 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,086,316 times
Maybe the Stats dont fit your life style...so do your own stats.

Kids...check schools
Jobs...do they have any where you plan to move, What kind & what income
Housing...buy or rent

Thing is You have the internet to find out BEFORE you move.
So check things out FIRST & stop complaining when what YOU decide backfires!!!

With the internet You Dont Have to Move Blind...You Can Move INFORMED....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida