U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: cost of living, tax help, market, retirement, home prices.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:18 PM

132 posts, read 386,804 times

Advertisements

WOW... some interesting comments...

Well...
I am really looking forward to moving here... I love the tropical climate, I was born in a tropical climate, I have vacationed all over Mexico with the same type of humidity and thunder/rain this time of year (PV, Acapulco, Cancun)... and I love it...

Have a great weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 07:15 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,874,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I agree! The chronic complaining about Florida gets tiresome. I also believe it gives people who come to City Data for relocation information a skewed view of the state and its people. No place is perfect, but Florida has many good points that often get lost in the negativity. One of the biggest pluses for me is the friendliness of the people who live in Florida. I'm always amazed at how truly nice Floridians are to deal with and how helpful they are when you need a hand.
Sure, whatever..... Once again I'll point out that we'd have less chronic complaining without threads being started that are naturally going to draw the boo-birds and are, by their very nature, meant to antagonize the people who don't like the state.....

I mean how many times more must we see this???

Threads with titles similar to.

"I'm so tired of the complaining"

"In defense of Florida"

"What's so bad about Florida???"

"I don't get what people's problems with Florida is???"

"Why all the whining???"

Old 06-28-2008, 07:17 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,874,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B to the T View Post

Well...
I am really looking forward to moving here... I love the tropical climate, I was born in a tropical climate, I have vacationed all over Mexico with the same type of humidity and thunder/rain this time of year (PV, Acapulco, Cancun)... and I love it...

Have a great weekend!
More power to ya...... Far be it for anyone to stop you...

Old 06-28-2008, 07:32 AM

6,853 posts, read 19,776,356 times
Quote:

Well...

Have a great weekend!
Thank you for moving here, this way others like myself can get out of Florida!

Old 06-28-2008, 07:38 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,156,672 times
Default median stats are deceptive

Some people would like to blame the residents for their complaints of poor wages. Like they have no skills or no college or whatever so they sorta deserve low pay.

Well, it appears that even the Florida Supreme Court Justices cannot live on the salaries they get and the state cannot find anyone to take the job.

Perhaps they need to go back to school for HVAC or something?

Salary is a concern for Florida Supreme Court justices - St. Petersburg Times

Old 06-28-2008, 08:06 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,156,672 times
Quote:

Well...

Have a great weekend!

The Fed government says that when comparing cities you must compare similarly situated ...the driver is population. Otherwise the stats are off. I had a link but cant find it at the moment.

Citydata pages for est 2006 show:

Sarasota is estimated 53,000 population with a +0.4% growth since the 2000 census.

Sacramento is estimated 453,781 population with a + 11.5% change since the 2000 census.

The entire issue boils down to income/finances imo. As a recent relo person here, I feel if you are totally sure, without a question of a doubt that you are either:

(1) Bringing a big bank account here that you can live off of for a coupla years or

(2) Receiving a paycheck that is without question of a doubt going to continue for a coupla years and a contingency plan for if that paycheck stops....then of course you will have a successful move. Because climate and other quality of life issues are irrelevant, you'll have a little break from CA in FL and move on. IF you have the money.

For decades California has been know to be "expensive". My DH moved to SF and had no problems whatsoever. Because his salary was raised by 300% LOL.

But if you're comparing Sacramento to any city in FL especially uhhh Sacramento....no. I believe (I might be wrong but I don't think so)... that would be either mostly only Miami (lower but close population) or Jacksonville (higher pop). Jacksonville is not tropical btw.

Go look at the population of Sacramento versus any city in Florida and go look at the potential job pools in Sacramento versus any city in Florida and unless you meet the criteria (1) or (2) then tap the breaks and keep researching IMO and IME.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:03 AM

9,463 posts, read 12,275,368 times
Default Go for broke only you know what's good for you......

Quote:

Well...

Have a great weekend!
B to the T only you know what's best for you so go for it and Make It Work...Make It Happen...because at the end of the day it's not going to effect anybody else but "you"....

Old 06-28-2008, 09:48 AM

132 posts, read 386,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
The Fed government says that when comparing cities you must compare similarly situated ...the driver is population. Otherwise the stats are off. I had a link but cant find it at the moment.

Citydata pages for est 2006 show:

Sarasota is estimated 53,000 population with a +0.4% growth since the 2000 census.

Sacramento is estimated 453,781 population with a + 11.5% change since the 2000 census.

The entire issue boils down to income/finances imo. As a recent relo person here, I feel if you are totally sure, without a question of a doubt that you are either:

(1) Bringing a big bank account here that you can live off of for a coupla years or

(2) Receiving a paycheck that is without question of a doubt going to continue for a coupla years and a contingency plan for if that paycheck stops....then of course you will have a successful move. Because climate and other quality of life issues are irrelevant, you'll have a little break from CA in FL and move on. IF you have the money.

For decades California has been know to be "expensive". My DH moved to SF and had no problems whatsoever. Because his salary was raised by 300% LOL.

But if you're comparing Sacramento to any city in FL especially uhhh Sacramento....no. I believe (I might be wrong but I don't think so)... that would be either mostly only Miami (lower but close population) or Jacksonville (higher pop). Jacksonville is not tropical btw.

Go look at the population of Sacramento versus any city in Florida and go look at the potential job pools in Sacramento versus any city in Florida and unless you meet the criteria (1) or (2) then tap the breaks and keep researching IMO and IME.
For starters... climate and other quality of life issues are NOT irrelevant... they are a part of the decision process.

You really can't compare Sac to Miami... not now, not ever, there are not even close to being comparable... Sac is in the valley and 2 hours from just about everything... I know nothing about Jacksonville but that might be a better fit... Miami to SF maybe, but SF can be soooo cold and foggy...

In regard to paychecks... yeah... any place that you get paid well makes the cost of living easy, and conversly if your pay sucks you hate the cost of living. If I worked at Mickey D's I am not going to be able to afford to do much of anything anywhere... be it in Cali, Florida, Idaho... you name it... it all becomes an economy to scale... Mickey D's pays more in SF then it does probably any where in the mid west... but the money does not go any further in SF... SF is expensive to live in my opinion, but I don't think the Doctor or that Lawyer in his Porsche thinks so... good for him, but I am sure as heck not going to hate on him... he did what he needed to do to get there, he was far more motoviated to do something about his life then me, therefore he deserves it more then me... simple math.

In regard to my move, no fat bank account, but a nice paying job... and if the job was offered in Sac, I would take it no second thoughts (it also pays more-bigger territory)... but right now my best friend has the job, hence the hook up with the company... This job (if I get it) will be a stepping stone to even better jobs, and like you stated, it will be good for a couple of years... no plans in place after the fact... opportunities will be what they will be... good or bad, that is the risk I will take... and the higher the risk, the greater the rewards.

So when you complain about the cost of living... remember this... you can complain because you are alive... when you compalin about your job, you are employed... when you complain about the taxes on the home you own, at least you have a roof over your head...

Like everything in life... it's the Yin & Yang... you must have ugly in order to value beauty... we must suffer through war in order to appreciate peace... you have to deal with the bad to have good... neither can exist without the other... and that is what these boards are... that is what life is... but the kicker is... bad can be anything at any time if you choose to see it that way... you need to look for the good, you need to strive to find AND appreciate the good things you have, WHERE EVER YOU ARE... in what ever you do... because someone else ALWAYS has it worse then you... and they would do anything to have it as good as you...

Old 06-28-2008, 09:54 AM

1,377 posts, read 3,730,701 times
Quote:
For starters... climate and other quality of life issues are NOT irrelevant... they are a part of the decision process.

You really can't compare Sac to Miami... not now, not ever, there are not even close to being comparable... Sac is in the valley and 2 hours from just about everything... I know nothing about Jacksonville but that might be a better fit... Miami to SF maybe, but SF can be soooo cold and foggy...

In regard to paychecks... yeah... any place that you get paid well makes the cost of living easy, and conversly if your pay sucks you hate the cost of living. If I worked at Mickey D's I am not going to be able to afford to do much of anything anywhere... be it in Cali, Florida, Idaho... you name it... it all becomes an economy to scale... Mickey D's pays more in SF then it does probably any where in the mid west... but the money does not go any further in SF... SF is expensive to live in my opinion, but I don't think the Doctor or that Lawyer in his Porsche thinks so... good for him, but I am sure as heck not going to hate on him... he did what he needed to do to get there, he was far more motoviated to do something about his life then me, therefore he deserves it more then me... simple math.

In regard to my move, no fat bank account, but a nice paying job... and if the job was offered in Sac, I would take it no second thoughts (it also pays more-bigger territory)... but right now my best friend has the job, hence the hook up with the company... This job (if I get it) will be a stepping stone to even better jobs, and like you stated, it will be good for a couple of years... no plans in place after the fact... opportunities will be what they will be... good or bad, that is the risk I will take... and the higher the risk, the greater the rewards.

So when you complain about the cost of living... remember this... you can complain because you are alive... when you compalin about your job, you are employed... when you complain about the taxes on the home you own, at least you have a roof over your head...

Like everything in life... it's the Yin & Yang... you must have ugly in order to value beauty... we must suffer through war in order to appreciate peace... you have to deal with the bad to have good... neither can exist without the other... and that is what these boards are... that is what life is... but the kicker is... bad can be anything at any time if you choose to see it that way... you need to look for the good, you need to strive to find AND appreciate the good things you have, WHERE EVER YOU ARE... in what ever you do... because someone else ALWAYS has it worse then you... and they would do anything to have it as good as you...
Yeah, but the jobs here will change your mind as well as the people running them. Good luck!

Old 06-28-2008, 12:44 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,669,336 times
Smile Florida

I actually love living in Florida. My husband is a native and from Miami. He does not speak Spanish and gotten along just fine. We are friendly people and you will find most natives are.

A lot of us have families and are busy with them. I have all my family here except my daughter who moved to NYC last year. (However, she begs to come home every once in a while if I pay the air fare).

I have been to California and my husband and I love Healdsburg, SF and LaJolla. I know there are other parts that are beautiful too.

It's funny, though, lately, my husband keeps saying how much he is glad we live where we do. Everything is within 5 minutes of must-do stuff.

Where are you in Cali?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or