U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: cost of living, tax help, market, retirement, home prices.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:19 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,951,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
I read this thread because, like so many other threads on city-data, I thought it was interesting. I really was not going to comment since no one is going to win this back and forth match. There are people who will love Florida and find it works for them and others who hate Florida and look to move out as soon as they can. What made me post here, with all due respect, was I truly disagree with it. I am not defending Florida here, but I am not wealthy and will never be. I am a teacher. I left a position teaching Catholic high school in Philadelphia and will continue teaching in Florida (by the way, getting the position was extremely easy for me). However, I know I will never be rich. That is not why I became a teacher and not why I moved to Florida. My family and I came to Florida with some savings as my husband retired from the police department. We had a nice house built in a beautiful area. The area is safe and family-oriented with good schools. We did our research. Florida, like any other state in the union, is definitely not one sided. In fact, nothing in life is one-sided. If you desire for whatever reason to relocate, you have to have the courage to imagine yourself having a different life, then do your homework and go for it. If it doesn't work out for you, then you have to figure out what you are going to do about it. But to say that Florida only caters to the wealthy really is doing a disservice to all those who live here, work every day and live the life they wanted to live, all without being wealthy or disgruntled.
Bugets cuts across the lines from teachers to police to firefighters. What they do here, which they didn't where I am from in similar circumstances, is that they will cut positions, and then the people with more seniority with the district will replace the others. It doesn't matter how long you have been teaching, it only matters how long you have been with the particular school district. The district where I live eliminated a guidance counselor position, "bumped" a 4th grade teacher who had only been working here for 2 years, and then replaced her with the GC who had 15 years with the district, but hadn't been in a classroom in all that time. I will not go into what they did with support staff and the custodians.

You don't want to be a civil servent in any form here right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 03:21 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,319,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
I think there are a lot of people (not just native Floridians) who just refuse to accept how bad conditions have gotten in other parts of the country AND how much the standard of living has declined in this country over the past 20 years.

I am far from a pensioner, I've got a ways to go before that. I've got college degrees. Finding work isn't easy, but I did it.

Both my wife and son make more here than in the Northeast. (my wife has a much better job here than she could ever hope to get there).

I just think this is much more of a NATIONAL PROBLEM than most people want to admit. (especially the gov't).

Eventually we're all going to run out of places to move to. The cost of living in places like Tenn, North Carolina, etc. will continue to go up.

Mikey
I'll admit this: when I thought about leaving the company I now work for, I couldn't find anyone willing to pay me AS MUCH AS I was already getting. And most of those places would have required me to DRIVE to work, whereas for now I can just walk.

But I'm not wealthy, and I'm getting by just fine. Perhaps that's because I'm not materialistic. Haven't bought new clothes for a few years now...the clothes I now own are just fine. I even have a hole in my boot, but it's not too noticeable if I wear black socks. No big deal.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:57 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,156,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I even have a hole in my boot, but it's not too noticeable if I wear black socks. No big deal.
That's cute My DH used to take the collar of his work shirt, remove it, flip it over and sew it back on and it was brand new. Comes from being raised frugally. In Greece. Playing with a ball made of rolled up socks when you didn't have a ball.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:22 AM

657 posts, read 1,629,684 times
i have a few friends that i would love to see have to learn to live frugal. it is so hard to try so hard to be very careful and live without alot of things but watch others go crazy and still do all they always did. i was raised a little different than most. im 38 and very thrifty, cautious. my friends are rich girls in poor girls bodys or visa versa... they sure look the rich part. i almost cant wait to see what they have to do to survive soon.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:19 AM

6,102 posts, read 13,074,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
By the way, Retiredcoach, no disrespect intended but do you even know any people first hand (really know) that live here? It's very hard to take such a strong position when you live in Pittsburgh. My family has been here for decades and although I have issues with Florida, the issues you point to (underprivileged people's standards of living, taxes, housing) all exist elsewhere and even in PA in counties.

The spotlight is on Florida because it's such an unusual state and everyone WANTS IT to be some Disneyworld paradise.
When people are struggling;when they have chronic aches and pains it hard to think of much else. Even if they are in the "Disneyworld paradise" they won't appreciate their surroundings. This is an obervation about so many people that I see that when they have issues it begins to overwhelm their whole being. They lose interest, focus, pleasure, optomism about many great things that surround them. It is so hard for them to get beyond the intensity of the situation, their source of irritation, that they can't enjoy so many things that they used to, and should continue to take pleasure in.

The economy is terrible right now. For everyone that is their source of irritation. It is not isolated to Florida though. Things work in cycles it will change.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:29 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,910,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
Yea, this guy seems to have a quality position in hand before he/she steps foot in Florida, what he said doesn't apply to most Floridians.

The issue with Florida is money, money is what makes the world go round, you cannot live off $10.00 per hour unless you've established a firm plant in the ground and have expenses lined up with a accurate calculation of what is left after bills are paid.

No offense but it's usually the "I got wealthy in other areas and I live in Florida now and I love it" types of people that always are on this "Half empty/ Half full" stuff. Simply put, Florida isn't for a certain type of person and the thought that you can make it anywhere with hard work and determination isn't a true. Sometimes you must look at the reality of the situation and make a firm choice on it.

Florida lacks in alot of areas, the biggest area is the lack of quality, decent paying jobs.... if you have a position lined up already here then this isn't for you but don't come on here and tell others they're bitter and negative for the way the think, they think this way for a reason.

I came to Florida with about $50 in my pocket, no place to stay and no job.
I don't have a college degree and didn't know anyone here.
I managed to make it with hard work and determination, something that you seem to think can not be done.
You may have to shovel **** for a while, yes I did that, but if you have the attitude that you are going to make it you will.
If you have the attitude that anyone that has made it had it handed to them then you will continue to dwell at the bottom rung of the ladder.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:36 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,156,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzup3 View Post
i have a few friends that i would love to see have to learn to live frugal. it is so hard to try so hard to be very careful and live without alot of things but watch others go crazy and still do all they always did. i was raised a little different than most. im 38 and very thrifty, cautious. my friends are rich girls in poor girls bodys or visa versa... they sure look the rich part. i almost cant wait to see what they have to do to survive soon.

I know, right? My DS learned to live frugally when I refused to send one penny more then the pre-arranged amount for spending during college (in Florida) no matter what excuse he came up with. Choose beer over food? Fine lol....

He worked for free as an intern because he loved the job so much and it was his dream job. They hired him after school and can't pay anywhere near where his skills would get him elsewhere. But they helped him start a similar business while he still works for them, and that's what his focus is. He doesn't care he LOVES THIS CAREER and says when he gets sick of the challenge he'll go elsewhere. And the skills he's gaining from working at that company are far more than any money would provide. He could actually open up a business and knows all the factors for success or failure now. Actually like product manager training for this little company and he doesnt even know it LOL. (the music business)..

He doesn't even like FL he loves hockey and the cold but his dream job is here. I'm so happy he was able to find something he is passionate about. The other funny thing is, now, I've offered several times to do things like "lets go to the mall you need a better wardrobe" or "I'll bUy you new hockey equipment so you can get back in the rink" and he always declines. He says he's too busy working and save the money for an emergency or something. (like computer upgrades) (YAY)

The only things alot of people are passionate about are a big house and stupid handbags with advertising on them. IMO if FL students (or any student or adult for that matter) could find something they actually loved, they would venture out into the world to do it. I know it's not easy but if you identify a passion, you don't mind sacrifices for awhile, ime. And it doesn't feel like "work" sometimes.

I had a coworker with a teenage daughter turn into a habitual mother. She was subsidized by the state and did not have a thing, and neither did my goofy coworker from paying for everything. On her 4th pregnancy, they took the father to court for support. He was like, 20 yrs older than the girl.

The mother came to work bragging how her daughter looked so awesome in court in her business suit (borrowed) and her Louis handbag (fake from the flea market). LOLOL

OK, first you are a dope sorry...but second you are a double dope for not going in there looking like you're homeless or something. wth???

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-02-2008 at 06:46 AM..

Old 07-02-2008, 02:02 PM

132 posts, read 386,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Good luck B to the T......!
Keep us posted on your progress....

Frank D.
Well someone in Florida just landed themselves a sweet gig... I lost out to the internal canidate. It was an uphill battle from the word go, but I gave it my best shot... I was really looking forward to the move, oh well... I guess something else better is coming, it's all about the Yin & Yang...

Old 07-02-2008, 05:37 PM

765 posts, read 2,373,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B to the T View Post
Well someone in Florida just landed themselves a sweet gig... I lost out to the internal canidate. It was an uphill battle from the word go, but I gave it my best shot... I was really looking forward to the move, oh well... I guess something else better is coming, it's all about the Yin & Yang...
Don't let it get you down. At least you made the top 3. This has happened to me a lot too! You just have to brush yourself off and keep on going. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:06 PM

132 posts, read 386,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
Don't let it get you down. At least you made the top 3. This has happened to me a lot too! You just have to brush yourself off and keep on going. Best of luck to you.

bdpop... thanks for the kind words... the hard part now is shifting gears mentally, I was already in Sarasota in my mind... oh well... at least I still have a good job, I am close to my friends and family, a roof over my head.. it's all good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or