Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 07:41 PM

33 posts, read 146,638 times

Advertisements

Hey all. First time poster, longtime reader, great board.

I currently live in NH but was recently accepted at Flagler College in St. Augustine and will make my way down in less than 2 months. St. A's is obviously very touristy and it's beautiful place, but is there much to do nearby? I heard there's a great hookah bar here. Any suggestions in places like Jacksonville (which may be my best bet, as it's a relatively short drive), Gainesville, or Daytona Beach? Keep in mind I'm a young, outgoing, liberal guy from the northeast...

Appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 09:30 PM

92 posts, read 241,414 times
hookah bar????????????????????????????,LOL you said you heard there is one but you said here, does that mean here as in NH where you say you are mean there?

edit
just thought, your only a kid so drinking is out anyway, don't expect mad college parties either, even the dorms are not co ed not that you are there for that.<grins>

not sure why you mention liberal as ones political views I would have thought are more private and being liberal anyway is not a good thing to many in st Augustine actually being from the north east is not good in many peoples minds anyway, not something I would boast about in the town to the locals but being form NH is a pass I would have thought. Most people in town think the north east as places like MA,EEK

right

st Augustine is a very conservative religious town as is the college board.
there will be some dems I would have thought for you to converse with at the college.
Never met any radical left loons like the move on.org even at the school
There is some resentment to maybe Yankees who come to the south and drive like idiots, act they are better attitude ,
\I know one girl who came to school and was shocked to see confederate flags but after four years of studying history she has the reverse view now.

the college is beautiful

things to do, not much, its a small town,drinking then I suggest you stay local as the sheriffs dept is very strict. drinking and driving is stupid anyway
Fishing, hunting and shooting are the most common things to do, watching NASCAR is very popular

Jax is not that a short drive away it takes about 45 Min's to get thereto the city center anyway, gainsville is nearly two hours away, daytona is an hour away.
Lets put it this way, the town is not a party town at all

the town is great, old south still, a lot of history there are 3 monuments to confederate soldiers right outside the college, the old castle, the old walls, which were used to protect the city from pirates, British Spanish etc. in fact the Indian Geronimo was held there for two years sadly. The town is beautiful, it is not certainly the north east OR like Miami.

have an open mind, remember St Augustine is still a place where [people say yes mam and no sir. have an attitude and you'll get one back .

the best place though not sure if you would like it is trade winds, walking distance from school, great bands, though it is a more of a local place and a bikers place.

many college kids go to the British pub or used to on a Thursday night,owners name is Dave and Rebbecca

any questions feel free to ask and best of luck , if you need to know of a church to join I could guide you in the right direction.

Last edited by proud American; 06-28-2008 at 10:06 PM..

Old 06-29-2008, 01:03 AM

33 posts, read 146,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud American View Post
hookah bar????????????????????????????,LOL you said you heard there is one but you said here, does that mean here as in NH where you say you are mean there?

edit
just thought, your only a kid so drinking is out anyway, don't expect mad college parties either, even the dorms are not co ed not that you are there for that.<grins>

not sure why you mention liberal as ones political views I would have thought are more private and being liberal anyway is not a good thing to many in st Augustine actually being from the north east is not good in many peoples minds anyway, not something I would boast about in the town to the locals but being form NH is a pass I would have thought. Most people in town think the north east as places like MA,EEK

right

st Augustine is a very conservative religious town as is the college board.
there will be some dems I would have thought for you to converse with at the college.
Never met any radical left loons like the move on.org even at the school
There is some resentment to maybe Yankees who come to the south and drive like idiots, act they are better attitude ,
\I know one girl who came to school and was shocked to see confederate flags but after four years of studying history she has the reverse view now.

the college is beautiful

things to do, not much, its a small town,drinking then I suggest you stay local as the sheriffs dept is very strict. drinking and driving is stupid anyway
Fishing, hunting and shooting are the most common things to do, watching NASCAR is very popular

Jax is not that a short drive away it takes about 45 Min's to get thereto the city center anyway, gainsville is nearly two hours away, daytona is an hour away.
Lets put it this way, the town is not a party town at all

the town is great, old south still, a lot of history there are 3 monuments to confederate soldiers right outside the college, the old castle, the old walls, which were used to protect the city from pirates, British Spanish etc. in fact the Indian Geronimo was held there for two years sadly. The town is beautiful, it is not certainly the north east OR like Miami.

have an open mind, remember St Augustine is still a place where [people say yes mam and no sir. have an attitude and you'll get one back .

the best place though not sure if you would like it is trade winds, walking distance from school, great bands, though it is a more of a local place and a bikers place.

many college kids go to the British pub or used to on a Thursday night,owners name is Dave and Rebbecca

any questions feel free to ask and best of luck , if you need to know of a church to join I could guide you in the right direction.
i meant hookah bar in st augustine, yeah i heard about the dorms not being co-ed. extremely disappointing. thanks for all the info. i heard the cops are pretty strict, but students have told me its pretty easy to use fakes. but i turn 21 in feb. so i wont bother with that plus im not really looking to party too much and want to focus on my studies and some extracurricular activites for the most part my first year.

i mentioned im liberal because i know how some are in the south...very religious, by-the-books, and conservative, take it or leave it. but i suppose that because st. augustine is a tourist town that it may not exactly apply as much. i heard the surf is usually pretty good in st. augustine and flagler is right near the beach, which is a plus.

what kind of bands play at trade winds?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:31 AM

92 posts, read 241,414 times
bands play are rock and country, country music is big in St Augustine only a couple of weeks ago a big star played in the town called trace Adkins

the beach is on the island which is a few miles away.
St Augustine might have tourists but it still is a small southern town with a sense of southern pride I suppose. Like I said so long as understand you are in the south and not the north east and don't have an attitude which sometimes is prevalent with some tourists who are from Boston or NY city then you'll have a good time.
while tourists are treated nice they are certainly back stabbed when those tourists leave the shop or place they have been.
A local told me once,

what is the difference between a Yankee and a damn Yankee

a Yankee is one who comes down and leaves a damn Yankee(sometimes called carpetbagger) is one who comes down and stays for a bit

You have Scarlett's across the road and froggys, the latter maybe , isn't your cup of tea, it s hole in the wall sort of bar with rough locals and bikers.
Scarlett's is a tourist small place where the old couple from another state might grab something to eat.

I've known a few students who have transferred from Flagler after their first year as it just wasn't what they thought.
They thought it would be like Amherst in western MA but parties are few, the board are very conservative and believe students learn and not party.

Basically for students who just wish to learn it is a great place if someone is looking to have much fun and party then the school is certainly not their place.

It really is a beautiful school though , the place is very old, the dining hall has all Tiffany, it has a rich deep tradition , many tourists go there because of the age of the school which used to be a hotel.

Oasis near the beach is a place you'll probably end up.
When bike week is on the town is full of bikes, trade winds gets taken over.

I like the town except for one thing and that was those horses pushing carts with rich tourist yuppies around in over a 100 degrees and they never even get shade.
used to drive me crazy when I saw it

Old 06-30-2008, 01:04 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjpimentel View Post

i mentioned im liberal because i know how some are in the south...very religious, by-the-books, and conservative, take it or leave it. but i suppose that because st. augustine is a tourist town that it may not exactly apply as much. i heard the surf is usually pretty good in st. augustine and flagler is right near the beach, which is a plus.
You'll be fine in St. Augustine, it's a laid back city and while it is conservative (more conservative than Jacksonville, I'd say), it's not going to "cramp your style" in any way .

Yeah, there was a Hookah Bar just off the main drag, as best I remember. We have a few of them in Jax too.

Initially, you'll have plenty to do. The beach is gorgeous and there are some hangouts along the beach. Downtown is rich with history and there are lots of little hangouts there too. There are some coffee shops the students hang out at, plently of lunch spots, pizza joints, etc. Live music is always playing in St. Aug, so there's plenty to hear. Modest Mouse just played in St. Aug last week (not a common occurrence, but it happens ).

When you've fully explored St. Aug, then check out Jax. Pick up a Folio magazine to see all the listings for clubs and bands. If you're underage right now, you can still go to Bourbon Street. You'll want to hang out in Jax Beach, lots of irish bars here. San Marco is upscale with wine bars and galleries. Downtown has a small nightlife scene going on.

Lots to see and do in St. Aug and Jax.....you won't be bored .

Old 07-10-2008, 03:49 PM
CJG

2 posts, read 7,500 times
Thumbs up St. Augustine trivia

One fun thing to do (that doesn't cost anything) is Team Trivia night at local restaurants/bars in St. Augustine. The best one for food and fun is at Woody's BBQ at Cobblestone Village on Tuesday nights and Saturday nights.
904-819-8880.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:09 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,479,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
You'll be fine in St. Augustine, it's a laid back city and while it is conservative (more conservative than Jacksonville, I'd say), it's not going to "cramp your style" in any way .

Yeah, there was a Hookah Bar just off the main drag, as best I remember. We have a few of them in Jax too.

Initially, you'll have plenty to do. The beach is gorgeous and there are some hangouts along the beach. Downtown is rich with history and there are lots of little hangouts there too. There are some coffee shops the students hang out at, plently of lunch spots, pizza joints, etc. Live music is always playing in St. Aug, so there's plenty to hear. Modest Mouse just played in St. Aug last week (not a common occurrence, but it happens ).

When you've fully explored St. Aug, then check out Jax. Pick up a Folio magazine to see all the listings for clubs and bands. If you're underage right now, you can still go to Bourbon Street. You'll want to hang out in Jax Beach, lots of irish bars here. San Marco is upscale with wine bars and galleries. Downtown has a small nightlife scene going on.

Lots to see and do in St. Aug and Jax.....you won't be bored .
I agree. The prior posts make St. Aug sound way more country and conservative than it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida