Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 04:48 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times

Advertisements

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2007/01/14/m1a_CRIME_0114.html (broken link)

This was in my newspaper today and I have shown my mom and dad this. I cant wait to get out of here and into a safer place, probably Oil city or some other safe, small town. Des Moines has crime but nowhere near as bad as south Florida! I want to pay to relocate my parents to where ill relocate because I worry about my safety as well as my parent's plus its a good thing to be near my family I can get a big fixer upper house for $25k and can buy my parents one as well. Dad is an expert at fixing and will make our houses as good as new

Dad is retired, mom is a teacher but could easily retire with the funds from selling their house. Prices have gone down alot but its still worth something nice. I do hope they sell it before the hurricanes severely depress values or destroy their house! I will be letting everyone know our location is totally unsafe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 05:33 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
Quote : As for the random crimes, such as the November carjacking and kidnapping of a woman and her two young children as they waited in a Taco Bell drive-through near State Road 7 and Southern Boulevard, or the Gaines Park maintenance worker who was beaten bloody by three young men on Jan. 2, one criminologist said there's no need to panic.

"We're going through a cycle here. Those things are still not the norm," said FAU criminologist Charles Massey. "We are a very unstable community and, in fact, we don't have much of a community, but the sky isn't falling."

Why does this guy sound like a real estate developer. If someone thought the sky was falling we could have fixed the mess before it got this bad.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:40 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
NAH, are you parents willing to move? It's often hard to get older people to do anything new or different. Are they happy there? You definitely don't want to make them move if they're content where they are.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:40 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Lightbulb Is up to US the people to take it back

I just visit the web-site for PBC, wow is all glory and show. No input on what is going up. The following are the cities and towns in the county:

Palm Beach - Atlantis, Belle Glade, Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, Briny Breezes, Canal Point, Cloud Lake, Delray Beach, Glen Ridge, Golf, Greenacres, Gulf Stream, Haverhill, Highland Beach, Hypoluxo, Juno Beach, Jupiter, Jupiter Inlet Colony, Lake Clarke Shores, Lake Park, Lake Worth, Lantana, Loxahatchee, Manalapan, Mangonia Park, North Palm Beach, Ocean Ridge, Pahokee, Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens, Palm Beach Shores, Palm Springs, Riviera Beach, Royal Palm Beach, Sandcut, South Bay, South Palm Beach, Tequesta, Wellington, West Palm Beach

How much money in the area? Can the members of the communities take back their areas? Do we need the Guardian Angels or National Guard to move in?

This is a problem that the residents generated and the residents need to take action. Involvement, mentorship, leadership, some one to take the initiative to move forward.

I love this type of news, we got CANCER, but we didn't have symptoms, WOW . No one had a clue that things were bad, but now is hell. Please wake up and be active and Involve in you community.

Today, Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw says we are on the cusp of becoming another Miami. (WHAT do you do to prevent it?The gang names have changed — we've got the Top 6, MS-13, San Castle Soldiers — and their guns are better at killing. No way, we are afraid because very powerful people is making money with drugs.

But, on a smaller scale, the terror is the same:WHAT smaller scale? 101 murders last year with gangs related to 55 percent to 75 percent of all violent crimes in the county, according to a countywide violent crimes task force. We must fight bullets with bullets

Million dollar homes, $300K Ferraries and gangs hitting your town, don't have logic. Bring the NYC Police to give no S- H- I- T action. Get rid of all the county individuals that are getting a kick-back. Do something and don't complain.
Also, some people will run, but what happen if the same takes place in your new State/town; You run again? Fight for what is yours.....

Old 01-14-2007, 10:30 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
NAH, are you parents willing to move? It's often hard to get older people to do anything new or different. Are they happy there? You definitely don't want to make them move if they're content where they are.

Not at the present. I have a feeling it could be around 5 years before that happens unless they become victim to crime or a bad hurricane then they will be scared right out. They dont take the crime nor hurricanes seriously. I will offer to buy them a house in Oil city or some other affordable place if they move when I move. My parents dont have any good excuses to stay in FL. Sure the winters are pratically nonexistant, actually its hot enough to need a/c all year around save for a "cold" front that brings temps from the 80s to 60s I cant make them move out but it sucks having to worry about them when they wont even worry about themselves!

sunrico90, we need to do something about the crime. If not, more and more people will keep leaving, replaced by illegals and criminals. My parents could live much cheaper, better quality of life, safer, no hurricanes, less crime, and everything else by relocating. I am relocating, crime being a big reason.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Not at the present. I have a feeling it could be around 5 years before that happens unless they become victim to crime or a bad hurricane then they will be scared right out. They dont take the crime nor hurricanes seriously. I will offer to buy them a house in Oil city or some other affordable place if they move when I move. My parents dont have any good excuses to stay in FL. Sure the winters are pratically nonexistant, actually its hot enough to need a/c all year around save for a "cold" front that brings temps from the 80s to 60s I cant make them move out but it sucks having to worry about them when they wont even worry about themselves!

sunrico90, we need to do something about the crime. If not, more and more people will keep leaving, replaced by illegals and criminals. My parents could live much cheaper, better quality of life, safer, no hurricanes, less crime, and everything else by relocating. I am relocating, crime being a big reason.

OK. What is going to be your new location?

Old 01-14-2007, 11:53 PM

168 posts, read 762,891 times
Why does this guy sound like a real estate developer. If someone thought the sky was falling we could have fixed the mess before it got this bad.

firemed

---------------

because most people's lives are not affected by crime. just because it bleeds and it leads on your local news doesn't mean you have to be fearful that the sky is falling on YOU.

a high volume of crime often takes place where there is an overpopulation of people and a finite geological space. if you crowd enough lab rats into the finite space of a maze, sooner or later they will turn on each other - murder, mayhem, mischief.

florida is not a very "wide" state. major populations are crowded onto the coastlines - where to the east is the ocean and to the west is the glades. there are only so many you can put on so little space without a societal breakdown, which usually transmutes to "crime."

and you have a choice: is this the life i want to live?

i lived, as i have posted quite a bit, in miami from 1951 to 1984. here's the extent of the crime our family personally experienced at my parent's home: 1.) we had a car stolen in the 70s, a 1965 1/2 mustang which the police later found burned - and the transmission removed; stolen to rebuild someone else's mustang, apparently.

2.) we had a truck broken into in the 80s but nothing was stolen or removed; there wasn't anything for them to steal other than the truck and they didn't do that.

we lived in working class hialeah - which if anyone knows the area was hardly miami beach or coral gables.

however, the suburb was changing, more transients moved into the neighborhood, families moved out. crime WAS happening, it just wasn't happening to us on any consistent or grand scale. no house break-ins, no hold-ups. but when a neighbor's car was stolen in 1984 (two years after our truck was broken into), it was another signal that things were changing and we didn't like it. living there was becoming "dicey."

we put the house up for sale the next day and moved not long after that.

afterwards, we lived in gainesville florida for 17 years (my mother lived there until she died in 1997). NOT ONCE was i ever affected - personally affected - by crime. any crime. no break-ins, no hold-ups, no car jacks, no property crime, no cars broken into, no nothing. that was from 1986 to 2003. and at different times i lived in a family neighborhood of houses, the student southwest section with apartments, the northwest section of mixed family houses/condos/upper scale apartments.

i can't even recall friends or coworkers who experienced crime in gainesville either. but we knew crime existed in gainesville. it lead off the evening news all the time. but not once did it affect me or my friends or my coworkers.

other than danny rolling, a psychopath transient from louisiana who came to gainesville and killed five students and "terrorized" the city with unknowns, gainesville was actually rather sedate, again, personally speaking.

the point is: chose how you wish to live - both physically and emotionally. crime will always exist - from the rural to the small city to the medium city to the megaopolis. and because it is exciting to our news reporters and station owners, it will always be front page or at the top of the broadcast. but we don't often have to buy into it and turn ourselves into fearful people locked away from the world because something might happen to us.

if big city living is fearful and "crime-ridden" - leave. find another city - yes, they even exist in florida - where you feel more comfortable hopping in the car at 9 p.m to pick up a loaf of bread at Publix - or walking the dog at 11 p.m.

find a place that works for you, where you take the normal precautions against being a crime victim, but where you live your life without constantly worrying if the sky is falling.

because we can choose to live the fearful life - or we can choose to live the reasonable life.

remember - it is all in the living because in the end, no one gets out of this life alive.

Last edited by florigidge; 01-15-2007 at 12:20 AM..

Old 01-15-2007, 07:09 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
Need Affordable Home...You can't force your parents to move as you well know. My husband's parents lived in PARRAMORE - it's probably the worst area in Orlando. They were living in the first house they had purchased in the 50's. It had so much sentimental value to it and according to them it had been a nice, middle class neighborhood when their son (my husband) was growing up.

My Father in law never wanted to move, but did go and look at homes we found for them. One was right beside our home in Winter Park. It was a great buy - they could have sold their home at the time and added about 20K to the profits and paid cash for it. It needed a little work but both my father in law and husband are handy, it was nothing they couldn't have done themselves. Unfortunately, they didn't buy it, my father in law came down with cancer a couple of years later and my mother in law was left living alone in PARRAMORE for 10 years by herself.

All 10 years, we tried to get her to move. By this time, it gotten so bad, that the corners were filled day and night with drug dealers, prostitutes stood by her house and stopped 'customers', other prostitutes had screaming fights in her front yard and one night some guy keep running and throwing himself at her front door to try and break in. She never slept at night - there was too much going on and she felt she had to be alert.

One evening a police detective saw her watering her plants about sundown - stopped and walked over to talk to her. He said, "You need to get out of here. This is not a safe place for you." That's all he said then walked back to his car and drove away. She said it was so weird and had never happened before. At the exact same time, my husband and I were eating at Pizzaria Uno in Altamonte Springs discussing all the problems she was having in the area and we felt this certainty that it was time and she HAD to move. She had already planned to come to Winter Park and spend the night to keep our son the next day - he was out of school and we were working. My husband decided he was going to tell her that she MUST move from the area and move in with us until she could find a place in a safe area.

When she got to our home that night, we said to each other at the same time..."I have something to talk to you about"....None of us could hardly believe that this happened at the same time. That's what finally made her realize she had to move. It really wasn't anything we did - I believe it was God, some people call it fate, coincidence.

But by that time the other housing prices in Orlando had risen dramatically and she couldn't find anything else - even a condo - in a nice area that she could afford. She has lived with us since. We are fine with it and are greatly relieved but she would much prefer her own place.

The sad thing is - if they had bought that house next to us in Winter Park, she would have had her own house and been in a safe, good area with a good investment. My point is when people live in a place for so long sometimes they become blind to what is happening around them. They are comfortable in their little pocket and there's not much the rest of us can do about it. They may not agree to change until things reach an extreme level or touch them personally. I admire your love and concern for your parents and wanted to share my story in case it may help in any way.

Last edited by pianogal; 01-15-2007 at 07:23 AM..

Old 01-15-2007, 07:17 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Need Affordable Home...You can't force your parents to move as you well know. My husband's parents lived in PARRAMORE - it's probably the worst area in Orlando. They were living in the first house they had purchased in the 50's. It had so much sentimental value to it and according to them it had been a nice, middle class neighborhood when their son (my husband) was growing up. My Father in law never wanted to move, but did go and look at homes we found for them. One was right beside our home in Winter Park. It was a great buy - they could have sold their home at the time and added about 20K and paid cash for it. It needed a little work but both my father in law and husband are handy, it was nothing they couldn't have done themselves. Unfortunately, they didn't buy it, my father in law came down with cancer a couple of years later and my mother in law was left living alone in PARRAMORE for 10 years by herself. All 10 years, we tried to get her to move. By the time, it got so bad, that the corners were filled day and night with drug dealers, prostitutes stood by her house and stopped 'customers', other prostitutes had screaming fights in her front yard and one night some guy keep running and throwing himself at her front door to try and break in. She never slept at night - there was too much going on and she felt she had to be alert. THEN, we finally convinced her she had to get out of there. But by that time the other housing prices in Orlando had risen dramatically and she couldn't find anything else - even a condo - in a nice area that she could afford. She has lived with us since. We are fine with it and are greatly relieved we don't have to worry about her constantly anymore but she would much prefer her own place. The sad thing is - if they had bought that house next to us in Winter Park, she would have had her own house and been in a safe, good area with a good investment. My point is when people live in a place for so long sometimes they become blind to what is happening around them. They are comfortable in their little pocket and there's not much the rest of us can do about it. I admire your love and concern for your parents and wanted to share my story in case it may help in any way.
Great story Pianogal.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:59 AM

[quote=florigidge;276540]Why does this guy sound like a real estate developer. If someone thought the sky was falling we could have fixed the mess before it got this bad.

Well things just don't go bad on a blink of an eye. The ones that change a community is the People. Back in early 1970, my folks lived In a jewish community by Riverdale and towards 230 Broadway, Bronx NY. The members of the community had groups that walked the area. Crime was low not erradicated but very low. The Police Department work with the community, even the Irish Pub owner will have the customers walk the area.

This is called a community working as a team with the resources that are available. By early 1980 most of the folks that instituted the crime watch move to senior homes, died or relocated with their children. The community door now had no one looking out from within; this area turn bad even that some try to fight, but the new owners did not care.

Can a community working together accomplish something positive? Can they assist the local police? Or should we sit and watch the news and add iron bars to our windows? I say no, I will fight and will make a difference.

Better example, if you have a child that leaves the trash in the room, What happens? How you do to correct the problem? The principle of the answer gives a solution to any situation or problem: GET INVOLVED

By the way not a developer, just a Logistician.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida