U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:23 PM

22 posts, read 198,053 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if there are any bigger cities in the North Western parts Florida... i'm looking to relocate somewhere with tons of rain and palm trees. I found a perfect city in Hawaii, but I don't think I could manage moving all the way there.

Are there any cities like that in Florida? I was trying to do some research on the annual rainfall down there, there seems to be more in the NW part of FL. anyway, any direction or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 01:35 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,814,977 times
Here is a map of Florida's precipitation.
I think it's been kinda dry the past year or so, especially since there were no hurricanes. But when we do get rain, seems like it comes in buckets.

http://www.ocs.orst.edu/pub/maps/Precipitation/Total/States/FL/fl.gif (broken link)

Old 01-15-2007, 01:37 PM

4,723 posts, read 12,375,422 times
Default Florida has a rainy season...

...and it is during the summer....it is not Hawaii with tropical rain forests! Summer is also hurricane season, thus the rain.....you may have to pull over while driving during a tropical summer rainstorm as it can be impossible to see, at times...

Old 01-15-2007, 01:45 PM

9,817 posts, read 20,045,079 times
I haven't been to every part of the Panhandle, but a lot of it is covered in pines and desert-like scrub. Only a few varieties of palms grow there. Last summer the drought was so bad that even the plants that were adapted to the climate started dying. Very disturbing.

If you are imagining Hawaii, you might need to look in south Florida. There are some amazing tropical gardens with hundreds of varieties of palms growing down there. Some areas have a dry and rainy season, with summer being the rainier, I've been told. Look on both coasts in Ft. Meyers/Naples and Miami/Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:50 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,212,886 times
Thumbs up Florida Precipitation Forecast Map

See below for forcast map for the entire state.

The palm trees are all relocated from the south at least in Pcola Navarre, Fort Walton and Destin. See below for historical data....

Old 01-15-2007, 01:56 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,212,886 times
Default Distribution map of genus Sabal after Zona, 1990.

No other plant personifies Florida like a palm tree. Even FDOT believes this as they continue to plant palm trees in the highway medians and along bridge abutments. The palm tree says ‘Tropical’ better than any other plant. So why doesn’t Northwest Florida have more palm trees along the highways and in residential and commercial property??

It is that most palm trees are tropical and we live in a semi-tropical climate. Most palms dislike temperatures below freezing and here in NW Florida our typical low temps are around 20F to 25F. So what do we do ? We can plant Sabal Palm and Pindo Palm. They have proved Winter hardy in NW Florida for over a 100 years. They grow well and even reproduce, sometime irritatingly so. But there are several other palms that grow here in the right places. In fact the Little Sabal Palm is native here and grows well in wet and irrigated areas all over NW Florida.

Livistonia Palm Trees
http://www.fosterfollynews.com/home/news/images/livchi_001.jpg (broken link)

European Fan Palm Tree
http://www.fosterfollynews.com/home/news/images/chamaerops_humilis_000.jpg (broken link)

Distribution map of genus Sabal after Zona, 1990.

Sabal palmetto hammock

Old 01-15-2007, 03:13 PM

33 posts, read 331,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
...and it is during the summer....it is not Hawaii with tropical rain forests! Summer is also hurricane season, thus the rain.....you may have to pull over while driving during a tropical summer rainstorm as it can be impossible to see, at times...
Yea, the rainstorms make it impossible to see at times. I try to stay in doors when it rains to many accidents happen, and the lightning is strong. Me and a friend were outdoors on a overcast day no rain (yea I know what were we thinking) and lightning striked out of no where across from us .

Old 01-15-2007, 03:27 PM

Sunrico
You posted real links! Can we post links now?
Florida Precip (http://www.ocs.orst.edu/pub/maps/Precipitation/Total/States/FL/fl.gif - broken link)
Well, I guess *I* don't have the magic touch.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:34 PM

22 posts, read 198,053 times
well, i think i've found the right state, but does anyone know of any larger cities in the NW!?! i don't know, maybe there are none?

Old 01-15-2007, 03:43 PM

Is Tallahassee big enough? Approx 153,000.

http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...n-Profile.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or