U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:07 AM

35 posts, read 121,410 times

Advertisements

Besides the pollen, there is obviously a lot of mold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 03:07 PM
ARC

181 posts, read 718,352 times
I was thinking 'mold,' too, which can trigger headaches. My 6 year old son suffers from migraines and is under the care of a neurologist. His headaches are worse in the hotter months. If he's outside too long in the bright sun w/out sunglasses, he'll get a headache, too. You have to understand that we have bright sunshine year round with the possiility of hot muggy days even in the middle of winter.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:04 AM

262 posts, read 846,958 times
I found this thread from last January.

I am curious - do people in the Tampa Bay area suffer from migraines worse than in other locations? I've had two acquaintances tell me this is the worst place for migraines.

The issue seems to be the barometric pressure - specifically changes involving ridges of high pressure. If you have any information on this, or have heard of any effective treatment, could you please post it here.

These (expletive) headaches are ruining my life.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:45 AM

6,853 posts, read 19,759,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC View Post
I was thinking 'mold,' too, which can trigger headaches. My 6 year old son suffers from migraines and is under the care of a neurologist. His headaches are worse in the hotter months. If he's outside too long in the bright sun w/out sunglasses, he'll get a headache, too. You have to understand that we have bright sunshine year round with the possiility of hot muggy days even in the middle of winter.
I have the same issue, I had migraines as a kid especially in elementary school when you have PE like every day. Once I went in to Middle/High school were you don't have PE things got a lot better, now only get sinus headaches because I have developed adult alergies somehow (never had any as a kid) to certain grasses and molds. If I get outside in the heat/humidity and get to hot, in a short time I will get a bad headache still. I have learned how long I can be outside in the summer months. So I try not to stay outside in the heat and humidity to long from Mid-May till Nov. We are looking to move out of state, so that I can be in some cooler weather.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:04 PM

607 posts, read 3,304,861 times
three words.......... Fungicides, Pesticides, Herbicides. That's all there is to it.

They are used everywhere, indoors and out. You can't escape them in Florida. If you walk on any grass that is green there is a good chance you have gotten the poisonous chemicals on your shoes which you then track into your home. Take your shoes off with your hands, now the chemicals are on your hands.

These chemicals can get into the blood stream through ingestion, through pours in the skin and most often through inhalation.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:27 PM

237 posts, read 990,130 times
The humidity helps mold prosper. Oak pollen. Lawn spraying is a biggie. Also, if you recently bought a house, see if it just had roof repairs. Possible mold. If you're getting any smoke from the fires, that can bother you even if you can barely smell it.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:57 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,930,851 times
I have lived in s. FL for 30+ years. The intense sun can cause headaches, dehydration can cause headaches and dizziness (drink lots and lots of water), allergies may be a factor.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:15 PM

62 posts, read 340,330 times
For me, it is the exact opposite. In California, I would get several migraines a month, since moving to Florida I have had one in almost a year. The humidity has actually made my condition much better.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:03 PM

262 posts, read 846,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
For me, it is the exact opposite. In California, I would get several migraines a month, since moving to Florida I have had one in almost a year. The humidity has actually made my condition much better.
I'm glad to hear you don't have as many in FL.

I get them here - but I don't think it's the humidity. If I'm not mistaken, we had a red-flag warning for low humidity and still got one, grrrr.

No mold in my house - although that's a trigger for a lot of people.

There was a huge ridge of high pressure parked just to our north and I'm betting that is to blame. I have more trouble with those than the lows.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:07 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,516,883 times
My allergies and asthma are worse here...but my back pain because of the cold was a lot worse when I lived in Texas, its all a change off.

The smoke has been killing me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or