Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 09:10 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,550 times

Advertisements

When I moved from New York to Arizona, I had the same thing happen. I would then go back to NYC and it occured again. When I moved to MO, still the same. For me, I believe it to be the major change in Altitude and the humidity. The Oxygen saturation is much different in these areas. I adapted after a few days each way...... could be....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 09:12 PM

159 posts, read 803,879 times
'Dem Yankees ain't too useta the summer heat down south.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,196 times
I like the SW area Cape Coral, Fort Myers and Naples(pricey now).

Old 05-22-2007, 01:34 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,599 times
I was watching Oprah and she and Dr. Oz were talking about a think called a netty pot or nose bidet...you put saline in the pot and there is a special way to pour it in your sinus cavity, it fills the sinus, cleans it out and then runs out the other side of your nose...

This woman who had never done it before got up there and tried it out and didn't choke on the water, then she came back a month later and talked about how her and her husband were so much better...

I think I'm going to get one, I have been having such sinus problems...

Old 05-22-2007, 05:16 AM

262 posts, read 937,700 times
Thanks for posting that - I'd never heard of it. The procedure doesn't sound too pleasant, but I'm ready to try just about anything.

I've been here my entire adult life, so it's not a problem with adapting. And when I go up north, it gets worse.

I have been told by several people that the Tampa Bay area is the worst place to live if you get migraines. I've had the experience of driving south with a migraine (ow!) and having it disappear near Venice - Ft. Myers, somewhere around there. Then, when we go home, once we go through Bradenton, it hits again. Very weird.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:49 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I was watching Oprah and she and Dr. Oz were talking about a think called a netty pot or nose bidet...you put saline in the pot and there is a special way to pour it in your sinus cavity, it fills the sinus, cleans it out and then runs out the other side of your nose...

This woman who had never done it before got up there and tried it out and didn't choke on the water, then she came back a month later and talked about how her and her husband were so much better...

I think I'm going to get one, I have been having such sinus problems...
It works, allergist gave me one years ago, you can get it at CVS.

It feels similiar to when you were a kid and water went up your nose when you were in the pool.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:12 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,196 times
HEADACHES- I have a friend who suffers because of the sun but that doesn't sound like the case here.

ALLERGIES- My cousin lived in Florida in a house surrounded by Pine trees and in 5 years she had a lung collapse and her ear drum burst due to severe allergies. She only was able to cope with weekly allergy shots. Once she moved, she was fine.

SO DAKOTA- I worked with a lady in Pensacola that said she was allergic to the 2 or 3 types of grass that grew in North Dakota.

So for allergies it really depends on what EXACTLY each person is allergic to.

When I lived in England, I ended up with a throat infection(tonsulitis) every six months. Since I moved back to Florida, haven't had it once. Go figure.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:21 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoaster View Post
Thanks for posting that - I'd never heard of it. The procedure doesn't sound too pleasant, but I'm ready to try just about anything.

I've been here my entire adult life, so it's not a problem with adapting. And when I go up north, it gets worse.

I have been told by several people that the Tampa Bay area is the worst place to live if you get migraines. I've had the experience of driving south with a migraine (ow!) and having it disappear near Venice - Ft. Myers, somewhere around there. Then, when we go home, once we go through Bradenton, it hits again. Very weird.
ACtually I thought the same thing however this woman walked right up on stage and did it, if you adopt the correct stance, I think thats the secret, I believe she said her and her husband do it daily...

I found several on Amazon, I have not looked yet at places like Walgreens and CVS but I would imagine in the area where they have equipment they would have some.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:31 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoaster View Post
I found this thread from last January.

I am curious - do people in the Tampa Bay area suffer from migraines worse than in other locations? I've had two acquaintances tell me this is the worst place for migraines.

The issue seems to be the barometric pressure - specifically changes involving ridges of high pressure. If you have any information on this, or have heard of any effective treatment, could you please post it here.

These (expletive) headaches are ruining my life.
I had every test imaginable done by my allergist. He came to the conclusion that I was "hyper-sensitive to atmospheric changes." I tried all the prescription meds, pills, sprays...The only thing that works for me with no side effects is loratidine (which is Claritin & now most pharmacies have their own generic.) I take one every night. And yes, it did seem to be particularly bad when I lived in Tampa. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:00 PM

262 posts, read 937,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl View Post
I had every test imaginable done by my allergist. He came to the conclusion that I was "hyper-sensitive to atmospheric changes." I tried all the prescription meds, pills, sprays...The only thing that works for me with no side effects is loratidine (which is Claritin & now most pharmacies have their own generic.) I take one every night. And yes, it did seem to be particularly bad when I lived in Tampa. Good luck!
Are you still living in FL? What region? I'd love to move anywhere (in FL, of course) where I could get relief from it. The last one went on for 5 days, ended yesterday - and here comes another!

Lisa, thanks for the info - I'm going to drop by CVS and see if they have it. Pluses to you for mentioning it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida