Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2007, 03:25 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times

Advertisements

One of the things we love to do is find Unique places to eat whereever we go...
I thought it might be great to share some of the favorite, unique places with others - it might give us some new places to explore!

I'll go first with some of my favorites...

Colombia - the original in downtown Tampa - the knockoffs in St. Augustine and Celebration don't do it justice.

Bern's SteakHouse - Tampa - pricey but worth it

Chalet Suzanne - Lake Wales - VERY pricy...but the experience is one of a kind

Old Spanish Sugar Mill and Griddle House - DeLeon Springs State Park - Deland - the most fun with family

The Bubble Room - Captiva Island - just outright crazy and fun!

Miller's Dutch Kitchen - Sarasota - Mmmm good...come REALLY hungry
You'll think you're in PA.

Schooner's - St. Augustine - Great variety of seafood - reasonable prices

O'Steen's - St. Augustine - the VERY BEST Shrimp I have ever tasted...get there early!

Scarlett O'Haras - St. Augustine - Fun for the novelty of it..great band..good bar

Boston's Fish House - Winter Park - Great, Fresh Seafood ....be prepared to stand in line.

Arthur's 27 - Orlando (Wyndam Palace Resort -Disney)...the food is great but the view and service are the best anywhere

Amalfi's - Orlando - the best, freshest veal dishes ever and the fresh bread!! to die for!

Now, it's dinner time and I've made myself hungry. Going downstairs to make Tilapia. Hopefully when I return some of you will have given me some ideas of new places to try!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 04:53 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
The Bubble Room is real good we use to go there all the time. The bread is great and the boyscout type shirts crack me up.

Last edited by firemed; 01-15-2007 at 05:02 PM..

Old 01-15-2007, 05:33 PM

148 posts, read 604,599 times
Default great Italian market

There is a wonderful Italian market in St. Petersburg called 'Mazzarro's'.

It has a funky atmosphere with all kinds of antique memorabilia---old espresso machines, religious statues, a great cappucinno bar with music ranging from Frank Sinatra to Andrea Bocelli playing. Great cappucinnos with mounds of foam piled high.

They have all kinds of authentic Italian homemade items to take home---fresh ravioli (ricotta, spinach ricotta, lobster, etc.), a great selection of cheeses...found a French feta that I love.

The place is so unique and loaded with personality plus so many delicious things to eat...the pastries are to die for also.

Overheard a customer there say he wished he could stay there overnight...my sentiments exactly...you don't want to leave.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:12 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
We do like to wine/dine in our area:

Out of town:

Colombia - the knockoffs in St. Augustine: a must while visiting the Old City

Scarlett O'Haras - St. Augustine - agree great place and fun

Caribbean Breeze: great food in Canada

Bahama Breeze 8735 VINELAND AVE. excellent a must every 3 months

Around town

Ruth Chris: great steak house (we got one in Destin)

Carrabbas: Great Italian food (Pcola)

The Fish Bone; Excellent seafood and steaks plus nice atmosphere. Destin & Pcola...

I'm working on a sausage soup with veg. and white rice and Amberback to close the long weekend with friends. Ramon and Ivette just got here with fresh calamari, so we are going to stink the kitchen.....

Old 01-15-2007, 07:15 PM

Mazzaro's sounds yummy! We haven't been to St. Pete in awhile. We went almost every weekend when we lived in Tampa. We'll have to plan a trip soon and visit Mazzaro's.

We have a couple of Bahama Breeze and Ruth Chris restaurants here in town. I've been to Bahama Breeze but it's been a long time ago. Never been to Ruth Chris but have heard good things about it.

I like Carrabbas, too. I've had almost everything on their menu by now and haven't found anything that wasn't delicious! We have a Fish Bone but I haven't tried it. We'll have to try it soon and let you know what we think.

Dinner sounded yummy...how was the calamari cooked? Never have quite developed a taste for that. The Tilapia was delish....used a Rachel Ray recipe with Tomatillo Sauce and Lime...yummy!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Mazzaro's sounds yummy! We haven't been to St. Pete in awhile. We went almost every weekend when we lived in Tampa. We'll have to plan a trip soon and visit Mazzaro's.

We have a couple of Bahama Breeze and Ruth Chris restaurants here in town. I've been to Bahama Breeze but it's been a long time ago. Never been to Ruth Chris but have heard good things about it.

I like Carrabbas, too. I've had almost everything on their menu by now and haven't found anything that wasn't delicious! We have a Fish Bone but I haven't tried it. We'll have to try it soon and let you know what we think.

Dinner sounded yummy...how was the calamari cooked? Never have quite developed a taste for that. The Tilapia was delish....use
d a Rachel Ray recipe with Tomatillo Sauce and Lime...yummy!
Cleaning the calamari is the worst part, mix a breading (jazz it your way) deep fry and you are done.... A red sauce to dip and is heaven. The soup was excellent, a bit on the spicy side, but GOOD to the last drop.....

Old 01-16-2007, 03:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Wow, some nice-sounding places here. Hope we get to some of them esp that Italian place.

I won't post its link (lol) but I do like the Indian Pass Raw Bar here.
It is a mom and pop operation and the menu is simple:

Oysters: raw, baked or fried
Shrimp
Chicken
Hamburgers

You go to the cooler and get your drinks. Waitress takes your order. Keep track of how many beers you have because it's on the honor system.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:54 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
Fishbone's (not Bonefish) in Lake Mary - freshist seafood in Florida, and you get exactly what it says on the menue, no doctored up cheap fish to look like another fish. The owners of this establishment know how to pick the very best fish, and they don't get them from Sysco or Nabisco. Also has premium steaks cooked over a real wood fire grill. You can feal the heat from the wood fire grill as you walk in. If you go, notice the artwork - some of you should recognize the artist that is showcased there.

Le Coq Au Vin in Old Orlando - great country french cooking; one of the few places around where you can get boar medallians, venosin, and rabbit when in season. Make reservations in advance or you won't get in. For those of you who don't like eating Bambi, Thumper or Piglett, they have chicken and other great dishes too.

Amigo's on 436. Great tex-mex, good quality meat and good portions.

Royal Thai on Old Cheney and 436.

Cecil's BBQ - Texas style on Orange Avenue.

Texas De Brazil - I-Drive in Orlando, I know they have these elseware, but this one is great! Meat gallore! And, excelent quality too.

A Taste of Italy on Aloma - great little local casual Italian place with awsome pizza.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the tips, Prichard. I really have to try Fishbone's, I have heard about it before. Someone told me Le Coq Au Vin had gone out of business. DH and I used to eat there when we first moved to Orlando and lived in the area, haven't been there in years. Are they still on South Orange Ave.?

Amigos is our favorite texmex - don't eat it anywhere else! Texas De Brazil is where my son always wants to eat for his birthday. Isn't that the one where they just keep bringing you meat? Oh my gosh...way too much meat for me...but the guys loved it! We lived near A Taste of Italy when we lived in Winter Park. I agree it's a great little place.

I haven't tried Royal Thai although I drive past it all the time. Do you know if they have Orange Beef? That's my favorite and it's hard to find. I've also heard good things about Cecil's - will try it soon.

THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida