U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:10 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,518,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Stay away from some of the smaller rural towns especially inland and further north in Florida, you may encounter some of that weird stuff you described while you were in Kentucky!
You live in Polk County/Lakeland and are going to put down Kentucky ?!?!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 07:46 AM

15,208 posts, read 31,172,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post

I live here, you don't. Lakeland is very classy.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:54 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,214,683 times
Quote:
I am a native of this state, and I do love it despite it's shortcomings, but it overall is NOT a "forward-thinking" place. I have spent a lot of time looking for that. But the good news is that in the past few years more areas are becoming MORE forward-thinking, which to me means more environmentally aware, more "green" consciousness, demanding better quality food, more intelligent pursuits, etc.

I think that the best places in Florida will be college towns. I currently live in Lakeland, in the past it was mostly an agricultural town known for citrus groves and phosphate. Today it is a beautifully preserved and landscaped town with forward-thinking leaders who have put in the infrastructure for new growth. Lakeland has a number of small colleges the most notable being Florida Southern, which was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Lakeland is also about to break ground on a major USF branch campus which will be a cutting edge polytechnic university.

We also are purchasing a second home in Sarasota; a beautiful town which was very conservative and kind of backward when we lived there many years ago, but which in the past decade has reinvented itself and become much more hip and forward thinking. It too, is a college town with a small branch campus of USF, and a couple of smaller private colleges.

Bottom line, you can find pockets of what you are looking for, but will not find it right now on a broad scale like you would find in NYC, DC or LA. But slowly but surely it's getting there as more people come here from some of those more "forward-thinking" areas and it feeds upon itself - it will attract more and more of the higher consciousness.

The best areas besides college towns, will be places of great beauty where people want to come - look for artist type places.

This is all JMO, of course; since what appeals to you, the OP, will be a bit different than what appeals to me. You could probably enjoy South Tampa, downtown St. Pete, or Sarasota on this coast. Maybe Ft. Lauderdale on the other.

Stay away from some of the smaller rural towns especially inland and further north in Florida, you may encounter some of that weird stuff you described while you were in Kentucky!

This is good practical advise. Tour I'd go visit all these places and spend some time. If you have some hobby or interests you will always find people you have something in common with. Otherwise, you'll have to get a job in a bookstore to meet people

Old 07-04-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I live here, you don't. Lakeland is very classy.

Right on Lakeland's website is this PROGRESSIVE downtown development project. Kudos to Lakeland. At least they are using common sense and proven marketing ideas. and making an effort to turn things around. Something that sadly, I don't see Ft Lauderdale, my father's home, doing in the time I've been watching. Other than to make it a convention destination. Which it doesnt even seem to be close to anyway....

Yes "SENSE OF PLACE" is number one. I'm going over to look at Tarpon Springs because for me, I have an affinity for Greeks and water. Maybe good maybe bad, we'll see.

The Lakeland Downtown Development Authority Wants Your Input!
Complete this Short Survey (http://www.lakelandgov.net/files/1A9AD7B49AC846E28AAA43FA69657B7D.pdf - broken link)
The Lakeland Downtown Development Authority is embarking on a Downtown Branding and Marketing campaign. The purpose of this project is to establish Lakeland with a sense of place that will continue to attract and increase our exposure to new businesses, residents and visitors in Downtown Lakeland. We need your help! To get started with our branding, we need you to complete this survey. Please answer these questions and fax (863-683-2783) the completed survey back to us.

I'm definitely headed over to Lakeland too. I like their website representation of their city.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:09 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,711,927 times
Ocala is a country type town. Even the rich of Ocala are horse farm types.

For the sort of "class" you're looking for, you need to move to a metro area. It's like going to Kansas and asking where the ballet theater is!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:30 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,349,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post

Lakeland is not some one horse town maybe you should do some research before you bash a place.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:57 AM

15,208 posts, read 31,172,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

Yes "SENSE OF PLACE" is number one. I'm going over to look at Tarpon Springs because for me, I have an affinity for Greeks and water. Maybe good maybe bad, we'll see.

I'm definitely headed over to Lakeland too. I like their website representation of their city.
Tarpon Springs is another of those little "gems" that I love, and felt I could live there and be happy.

One of the really nice things I love about Lakeland is that it is still a very balanced city - we have a balance of lower, middle and upper class here. The wealthy here are also low-key- about their wealth, they don't flaunt it; and they tend to be very philanthropic and invest in the town. The large corporate centers such as Publix, also invest heavily in the town - they like their town to be a nice place. Also, Lakeland has more beautiful community parks and recreation facilities than any other place in Florida that I have seen - the public tennis courts and golf course look like a private country club! Also, all the beautiful lakes in the town were kept for the people, not sold off to the wealthy, Lake Mirror right downtown features the gorgeous Hollis Gardens and classical promenade, Lake Morton is a swan sanctuary, and Lake Hollingsworth has a wonderful 3 mile walking/jogging path. There is a fantastic library downtown, as well as a top rated art center, children's museum, restored movie palace for live performances and art films, and the fantastic Lakeland Center to enjoy Broadway plays and other fine entertainment.

Here are some links to photos/info:

Lake Mirror Park, Lakeland, FL

What Others Say About Lakeland (http://www.lakelandchamber.com/VisitingLakeland/WhatOthersSayAboutLakeland/tabid/685/Default.aspx - broken link)

Old 07-04-2008, 11:59 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,810,965 times
It's still better than Miami-Dade county!

Old 07-04-2008, 12:05 PM

Thanks so much for that information. I think the OP should definitely check it out. Not everything has to be right on the coast and a resident's pride like yours says something.

Love the Amtrak service right there.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-04-2008 at 12:15 PM..

Old 07-04-2008, 12:52 PM

790 posts, read 1,466,693 times
I worked in Ocala ten years ago and lived In Lakeland for almost three years. Trust me, you would not want to move to Lakeland. It'd be like taking a step back and judging from your post would have nothing that you're looking for. Sorry to offend some but I am glad I'm out of Lakeland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida