U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 04:20 PM

2,932 posts, read 4,015,427 times

Advertisements

I know this is an old thread but.... classy people are all around you. Look a little harder. Watch what people do, rather than how they dress or talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:18 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,276,458 times
There is a reason the entire nation views Florida as the source for most of the wild and crazy news stories that show up.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:57 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,782,164 times
You're in Ocala! That's "country" FL for u! Did you think that Travolta moved there for the "classy ppl"? Nope...he moved there because he can be left alone as in these ppl have no clue who he is...hahahahahahha

I wouldn't call anyone "classy" in SoFla either!!! If you refer to classy ppl as the educated ones, who appreciate good manners, are polite and enjoy the arts you will have to dig deeeeeeep to find them through the sea of snobs.

Good Luck!

Old 07-17-2012, 01:31 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,550,391 times
Seriously folks...this thread is from 2008 the OP isn't even a member of Citi-Data anymore.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:45 PM

513 posts, read 807,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalToFl View Post
I 33 years old guy who just moved to Florida from Southern CA and am living in Ocala at with relatives and trying to make a life in Florida.
Where are all the classy people?
I got a gym membership at this gym here in Ocala that is a good deal but has equipment from the 1970's (which is fine). Most people that work at the front desk have no customer service skills to speak of. They just look at you when you check in or leave. Never smile or act upbeat when you leave. They have this strange split personality where when they see someone they know they instantly smile from ear to ear but don't act anything close to that to the members or anyone they don't know. The actual gym members have this ***** kicker vibe and remind me of the people you see on cable tv prison documentaries. Only about 2 percent of the gym members seem to have class. I always feel worse after I leave that place.
The stores around here have employees with absolute zero customer service skills! They never smile or thank you for doing business there.
The only places that are remotely ok are the bookstores and it's really only a little but better. I will be reading and trying to enjoy coffee or something and I'll hear this obnoxiously loud male red neck laugh out of no where (I know that sounds strange but out of no where comes this loud AAHAHAHA laugh. I will sit there and act as though I never heard it but everyone else looks up to see if they are being laughed at. It's depressing and dysfunctional).
I just got back from Wal Mart and there was a man in his 50's who let out this nasty loud belch in front of 20 women and children and then spit all over the entrance side walk on the way out. It's so trashy.
There are almost no refreshing women who dress classy and are stylish.
I'm trying to stay positive but this place is draining me.
I am in the twilight zone.
Where are the people with class?
One word: "OCALA". LMAO Your post was awesome. Going to walmart must be depressing. Is there a Target near you? How many wealthy people are there in Ocala. Maybe move to West Palm Beach or Lauderdale.

Your gym sounds horrible. Like something you would see in Slasher film.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:37 PM

398 posts, read 644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Seriously folks...this thread is from 2008 the OP isn't even a member of Citi-Data anymore.
It's an old post but the reality is stil the same. Classy people in Florida.......hard to find

Old 07-21-2012, 07:01 PM

798 posts, read 2,176,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalToFl View Post
I don't mean people who act like they are better than everyone or pretend to be rich and snobby. I just mean people who have well rounded personalities and are not totally red neck. Kind of middle of the road. Not one extreme or the other. Although I'd like to live in a place of all kinds, just not an over abundance of one or the other. More or less a place where people are real and the energy is good. There has got to be a place in Florida like this.
This was a really helpful thread for me to read today.

It would be great to find this, anywhere really. It's hard to find a well-balanced place to live in the midwest, too. There are rich enclaves, college towns, and then the very downtrodden.

Where people are very high "class," they're not approachable and you can't easily get involved in the community, or it's too expensive to live there. Where people are downtrodden, it's very depressing to be around, and the people get in their own way. The crime, violence, lack of self-respect and the fact that they're not being respected by anyone. They get intimidated and bullied by everyone from politicians to criminals.

Just a well-balanced, middle of the road place where people are intelligent, cooperative, bright, creative, accepting, and have a good work ethic. That would be great. If the OP is still reading this thread, I'd suggest the book on the "Creative Class" by Richard Florida. Kind of describes what you and I are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Your fundamental problem is going to be this:
"to live in kind of a forward thinking area "

Break it down, the "thinking" part is an issue.You have been forever ruined by the experiences of living in metro DC and NY. Thinking person's demographics. So California doesn't count, their brains are fried out there too, and not "serious people" except for some pockets of academic locales.

"Forward thinking"...further complicates your unreasonable malcontent expectations LOL. In a state that encourages low performance in schools and employment, relocation for weather and tourism, sex offender destination, police providing tent cities for conviced criminals, and allows entire cities to transform into foreign countries and pretend to be a mecca for some stylized version of LA superficiality, the worship of clothing and cars as it's ethos. And claiming a celebrity was there.

Florida is also lacking the basic tenant of forward thinking and that is freedom of speech. There's also an intolerance for venting. Put up or shut up (unless it's "MY" vent)

You'll also see alot of speech here spouting off supposed truths that have nothing to do with reality. Like people who moved here who claim that the mass transit is bad. Well, FL doesn't offer mass transit. So uhhhh duh. It's not on the menu, chose another restaurant.

You'll see people complain about the heat then get bashed. Well, imo, the heat is a valid complaint because it's something that wears on you and ages you year after year and is getting progressively worse. People dont' realize that till they get here and live it. Quite different than complaining about a train that never was and never will be.

You can find it all in FL. Retirees looking for some simple peace and quiet, Skinheads, rebels, religious zealots, mullets, pickups, hunters, gangs, illegals and poverty. But not forward thinking, IMO and IME.

Due to business reasons, my son chose downtown West Palm Beach. I can't speak for anywhere on the West coast but he's told me several times that up North over there attracts several of the previous paragraph. Downtown WPB doesn't hold any magical academic relief but does offer some everyday activities that you'd find up North with some everyday type of people who might also find value in a book store or library. The downside, of course, is the poverty in the community and crime as in the Dunbar Village episode last year that occurred within walking distance of downtown.

I've found forward thinking in several places, even poor little Fayetteville Arkansas thanks to the University. But not here. I live in Vero Beach, a beautiful town of 17,000. (with the citydata listed demographic of 1 sex offender to every about 148 people which is high compared to several other towns and major metro cities).......I don't see one bit of forward thinking but the people are what I'd call civilized. Not friendly, (except the cute mayor) not particularly "smart" not engaged with strangers, all talking on cell phones while shopping and all not knowing the basics of retail in their retail jobs. But not offensive and I came here for strictly the weather and beauty (and my sole remaining relative, my son). Had nothing to do with any appreciation of any of Fl other qualities especially jobs.

When you are "older" your everyday activities decrease, so all the retirees, usually couples, are satisfied with a dinner party and discussion then go home. So the retiree demographic coupled with snowbirds and the economic support to Florida from them, (AND THEIR VOTES) impacts what communities offer, counterintuitive to a progressive atmosphere.

People act like moving here for just the physical environment is some kind of criminal act. LOL I could care less, I brought my money and I'll spend it where I chose.

The mantra I've adopted is from my dear deceased mother, part time FL resident, who always reminded me "What do you expect they're a bunch of rebels down there, get used to it".

Nature abhors a vacuum, and without an identity other than tourism, the vacuum has been filled with a bunch of randomness. Uneducated randomness.
Really explains well why I wasn't comfortable in Florida or in Indiana. Nicely written.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:08 PM

798 posts, read 2,176,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
I've been in Ocala for my entire life, and the classy people are here, but they're reclusive. It's the same with intelligence... it's here, but you don't see it too often.
I've found that, too. Nice people tend to hide. You just know they're out there, but "where are they?" is the question.

I've got one great neighbor where I am, but it's taken eight months of running into each other once-in-a-while in the parking lot, to actually have enough bits of conversation to determine that we get along and might want to hang out or stay in touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida