U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2008, 02:23 PM

86 posts, read 251,547 times
Smile Bus driver jobs in florida...are there any?

I have pondered the thought of moving to Florida for a while now, and as a job, all my life I have driven buses...tour buses, transit buses and light rail cars for 15 yrs in Pittsburgh, and now a school bus, a job I love and I am also a state certified bus training instructor. Recently I decided to get my class A tractor trailer license too, so I can do that as well, but I prefer the bus.

What is the job market like for bus driver in Florida? Where would be the best places to begin? I would appreciate any input you may be able to give me.

thanks

Shawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 03:08 PM

1,782 posts, read 4,641,549 times
Look around the Orlando area I see listings for shuttle bus drivers quite a bit and lynx. Because of all the tourists bus drivers are always needed.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:26 PM

9,978 posts, read 15,822,036 times
Bus ridership is increasing everywhere due to the gas prices, I would think you would probably be able to get a job somewhere right now.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:18 PM

5,974 posts, read 3,239,640 times
You can get a great bus driver job for the Orange County Public Schools for $12 per hour,lol.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:25 PM

5,701 posts, read 16,903,098 times
Santa Rosa County $10 - $15, just got to apply....

Old 03-07-2009, 12:38 PM

86 posts, read 251,547 times
Well, I've been down here in Plant City now since January, and have YET to find a driving job... I came down here because Hillsborough schools said no problem for a bus drivers job...and they keep messing around. I already have my school bus license, and I was a bus driving instructor for the past 3 years, yet i still have to sit through 62 hours of training...go figure that...

I fail to understand why they are playing around so much, especially when I know there are drivers here doing double runs because they don't have enough drivers...They need to worry about the kids more and offer a expedited training for the district rules as needed for people who HAVE their license. For me to have to sit and watch people get their permits and go to learn HOW to drive the bus to me is a complete waste of time. I have driven bus since 1984, so I hope I know what I am doing by now. The company I trained at had a 2 day refresher for people WITH licenses we hired, and if you were without, I had you for 2 weeks. and we were not hurting for drivers. I am sure that the 62 hour deal hurts the district since most people that hold licenses, don't want to be trained all over, so they take a pass and go elsewhere.

I am so tired of driving past schools like Plant City high school and Durant, and seeing kids standing there waiting because there are no drivers to take them home, and they have to wait on another bus. This is not right to the kids.

So here I sit, after being assured there are open positions to drive, and there are, but I cant get into a stinking class until APRIL 20!

Other than having 0 income right now, and wondering how long until we are on the street, I just must be missing the logic.

Shawn

Old 03-07-2009, 07:53 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,596,406 times
I wish you the best. Many times here in FL they do things way out of the ordinary, not very professionally either. Maybe you're idea could help the state save money (wasted tax dollars) instead of having you go through all the BS, bring up the idea of the 2 week refresher course which will save alot of time. FL definitely could take some ideas from other states. I'm sure you will do just fine though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida