Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:22 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times

Advertisements

What is a Floridian? I would consider that to be a person born and raised here. If you are talking about transplants who have moved to Florida and then move away to another state, then you are not talking about Floridians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 11:03 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
So you're a "construction manager" but yet you were looking for work in Albertsons?

Did you just up and leave to TN and magically go from "unskilled Albertson's candidate" to construction manager..... or were you unable to find work in your field of choice during an unprecedented construction boom in the state? How long ago?
I'm glad you asked !

At age 18 I was fresh out of highschool and my grades/SAT scores were high enough only to go to school at a local community college. I couldn't find any employment in the Tampa Bay area and yes, I had to work at Albertsons.

At that time, I lived with my mother who had alot of family in Tennessee and wasn't finding much luck in the workplace either so we left. I ended up working at a Krogers store in Nashville and later was offered a job within some of my families construction company. While working that job I was accepted to Tennessee State University where I'm only about 2 years away from my Bachelors degree in Business Management. I worked my way up to management in families company and later took a position at another construction company here in Nashville. Like you really care, right ?

Quote:
A new Ford Ranger at 18 and you're complaining that you couldn't find a job over $6/hour? And that is FLorida's fault you couldn't pay the bills?

I'm sorry, but even at 18 my insurance rate was NEVER $400. You didn't look hard enough for insurance. My 20 year old brother WITH tickets AND a wreck doesn't pay $400/month!
My first truck was co-signed with my fathers credit. My interest rate was nearly nothing and my payments were less then $250/mo. Everyone has to have a car, right ? Honestly, Why even ask such a question ? I honestly don't care about your 20 year old brother. I'll use a page from your tactics. You're not your brother, don't use him as an example.

Quote:
You don't have to believe it. I'd scan my policy declarations page and prove it if I cared enough to. Insurance rates have gone down, I adjusted my deductibles and got a wind mitigation as necessary.

TN has no income tax, but does tax dividends, bonds, and notes receivable.
I don't care to see your policy, You're an example of what's wrong with Florida. Dividends, Bonds, Notes Receivable... LOL.. you're going a little far to prove a point, eh ? Do you use bonds ?

Quote:
Lol, don't you worry about me. Some of us went an additional three years of schooling after college to obtain our professional degrees of choice.

I am a year older than you. I'm not sure what, exactly, I'm going to "eventually see."

What did you study in college that left you so bereft of job choices upon graduation? Liberal arts? Feminist studies? People need to stop going to college as a way station to avoid "the real world" and start gearing their efforts towards future employment. We have to ship in foreigners to take high skilled jobs, and we have art history students crying that nobody has a place for them and their "skills."
Like I said above, I'm 2 years from my Bachelors in Business Management. My cousin whom lives in Orlando has a Bachelors in Business and says all he can find there is being a 7-11 assistant store manager making $12/hr.. I'd rather stay put. Thanks.

Quote:
You may "love it", but I'm HERE, and I'm willing to defend it from those who chose to leave it and denigrate it because THEY didn't make it. Believe it or not, people like you do more harm than good by chasing quality people away who would add to a community's betterment.

And by the way, people in Tennessee, last I heard, are none to happy about the invasion of Floridians.
I am here to tell people the truth about Florida because they get the sunshine fever and think lifes all sunshine and lollypops in Florida. They don't know how bad the economy is. They see hundreds of job listings on Monster and Career Builder and think it's a Mecca but what they don't know is that those companies are either taking applications, have only a handful of jobs availible, or have hundreds of applicants with college educations.

Last time I checked, We didn't have the Sheriff working as security guards because of companies laying off. Oh, and hell no we're not happy. Floridians are coming here, driving up the housing costs, taking all the jobs, and come with an attitude that they are supperior because they're from the " All-Mighty Florida "

Oh and please, tell me... What state are you Native of ?

Old 07-08-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
What is a Floridian? I would consider that to be a person born and raised here. If you are talking about transplants who have moved to Florida and then move away to another state, then you are not talking about Floridians.
True, Real, Floridians are a thing of the past. People that were born here are tired of the state worshiping tourists and people from the North. So they are moving out in droves.

There was a guy in the Alaska forum of all places talking about how he grew up in the 50's in Kissimmee and how horrible it is now and how he was planning to move to Alaska.

Grew up in the 50's... now THAT's old school.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I'm glad you asked !

At age 18 I was fresh out of highschool and my grades/SAT scores were high enough only to go to school at a local community college. I couldn't find any employment in the Tampa Bay area and yes, I had to work at Albertsons.
So I don't get it.... you're complaining that fresh out of high school you couldn't find a job making $44k/year, or you couldn't find a job after graduating with your associate's degree? The associates degree should usually only be a segway to your next career step, unless your chosen field only typically calls for an associate's degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23
At that time, I lived with my mother who had alot of family in Tennessee and wasn't finding much luck in the workplace either so we left. I ended up working at a Krogers store in Nashville and later was offered a job within some of my families construction company. While working that job I was accepted to Tennessee State University where I'm only about 2 years away from my Bachelors degree in Business Management. I worked my way up to management in families company and later took a position at another construction company here in Nashville. Like you really care, right ?

Actually, I DO care, because your story only proves my point. You act like you had to flee Florida to Tennessee to where all the good paying jobs are... when IN FACT, you moved into a FAMILY COMPANY and pursued your career. Any Joe Schmo looking to move out of the Northeast to milder climates is similarly NOT going to have the chance to go into a family business and work themselves up to eventually land a career as a manager at another construction company. Had your family had a construction company down HERE, you would have likely followed the same path, and made a killing during the real estate boom.

Quote:
My first truck was co-signed with my fathers credit. My interest rate was nearly nothing and my payments were less then $250/mo. Everyone has to have a car, right ? Honestly, Why even ask such a question ? I honestly don't care about your 20 year old brother. I'll use a page from your tactics. You're not your brother, don't use him as an example.
Why even ask such a question? Because you complain about how bad the economy is, and how expensive everything is, but you're buying a new truck with a $250/month payment right out of highschool.

And then, let's see.... you cry about a ridiculous $400/month car insurance rate, which I think you're either LYING about, or confusing with your six month premium.... and you don't want to hear about counter examples about how your situation is not even CLOSE to being "normal" by any stretch of the imagination, but it's too much for you to bear.

Meanwhile, you're screaming about that ridiculous cost of insurance, scaring people who don't know any better, and complaining about taxes and insurance you've never paid on a house you've never owned in Florida because you could never find a job making more than $6.45/hour.

Excuse me while I take your "analysis" with a grain of salt.

Quote:
I don't care to see your policy, You're an example of what's wrong with Florida. Dividends, Bonds, Notes Receivable... LOL.. you're going a little far to prove a point, eh ? Do you use bonds ?
You don't care to see my policy because it would refute the numbers you pulled out of the air to make a point of how expensive it is in Florida. Yes, HOI can get expensive, but making things up doesn't help.

And, lol, "I'm an example of what's wrong with Florida?" Why? Because I challenge your baseless assumptions? Cute, but no cigar.

And you don't "use" bonds, you trade, sell, and make income from bonds.

Quote:
Like I said above, I'm 2 years from my Bachelors in Business Management. My cousin whom lives in Orlando has a Bachelors in Business and says all he can find there is being a 7-11 assistant store manager making $12/hr.. I'd rather stay put. Thanks.
Tell your cousin to call me. I have a friend who had the hardest time finding qualified managers in South Florida. Oh, and by the way, let's keep up with the demands of the global economy. A "bachelors" in business is only worth the paper it's printed on. MBA or go home if you want a good paying "business" job.

Quote:
I am here to tell people the truth about Florida because they get the sunshine fever and think lifes all sunshine and lollypops in Florida. They don't know how bad the economy is. They see hundreds of job listings on Monster and Career Builder and think it's a Mecca but what they don't know is that those companies are either taking applications, have only a handful of jobs availible, or have hundreds of applicants with college educations.
No. You are part of the same group who whine and complain about how AWFUL Florida, a huge diverse state with 3X the population of Tennessee has it, while extolling the virtues of how good everyone has it up there. Meanwhile, TN's economy is based on a shaky manufacturing base and seconded by tourism.

FYI, the poverty rate in Florida is 11.4%, while in Tennessee it's 15.2%.

Let's not forget that the violent crime rate for Tennessee is ALSO higher than Florida, as is the murder rate.

So, let's all hail Tennessee... land of milk and honey!

Quote:
Last time I checked, We didn't have the Sheriff working as security guards because of companies laying off. Oh, and hell no we're not happy. Floridians are coming here, driving up the housing costs, taking all the jobs, and come with an attitude that they are supperior because they're from the " All-Mighty Florida "

Oh and please, tell me... What state are you Native of ?
Why would your sheriffs take jobs as security guards because companies are laying people off?

And btw, I'm a "native" of New Jersey, but more Floridian than YOU, as you chose to run away to greener pastures which may be better overall for your circumstances, but not for everyone. In fact, it is YOU who exemplifies everything that is bad with Florida, with the constant moaning about how much better it is somewhere else, and the "all complaining, no action to try to make it better" attitude.

What next? Stunning observations about how hot it is in Florida?

Old 07-08-2008, 12:25 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Can you both please find a locker room in a junior high to continue your bickering?

What started off as a really decent thread is turning into a pissing match by posters who complain about complainers.

The OP asked a decent question & WAS getting some decent responses from both sides.

Not sure why there needs to be this "I am better than you" fight brewing, but it sure sounds childish.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:20 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
I can compare Florida only to the other places I lived. My comparison is below:

California - weather was awesome, but couldn't afford to buy a home there at the time.
Was also too liberal for my bent and too far from family who all lived east.
We moved back to Florida

Georgia - I'm sorry to say my husband calls this the 'armpit' of the nation. I know this is
not true for everyone who lives in Georgia, but in the areas of Middle and South
Georgia where we lived, ignorance and red necks were the order of the day.
We LOVE the Atlanta area, North Georgia mountains and Savannah - but
haven't had the pleasure to living there so can't compare.
We moved back to Florida.

Tennessee - We love the beauty of the Tn. mountains. Unfortunately, there were NO
jobs for us there and the poverty was staggering. We just spent two
weeks there this summer and while it seems better - it still amazes us.
Homes that would be condemned and torn down here in Orlando, have
large families living in them. And the restaurants! The health department
would close them down - not to mention the building inspector. DH
couldn't believe the exposed wiring, etc.

South Carolina - Most of the comments from TN also apply to SC. However, there are
some places in SC that are slowly changing from an agricultural society -
Greenville, Columbia and Charleston. However, all the smaller towns seem
to be dying.

Florida is not perfect and I would really love to live again in a temperate climate with 4 seasons as long as it doesn't get too cold....below 30! Is there anywhere like this?

However, that probably won't be until retirement if ever. I'm happy to live here for now and visit all those other places. I hope anyone isn't offended by my comments. My intention is not to 'diss' other places - only to compare my experience.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Can you both please find a locker room in a junior high to continue your bickering?

What started off as a really decent thread is turning into a pissing match by posters who complain about complainers.

The OP asked a decent question & WAS getting some decent responses from both sides.

Not sure why there needs to be this "I am better than you" fight brewing, but it sure sounds childish.
I'm done.

I apologize for ruining this thread. I just get irritated when people run their mouths about things they know little about. Adios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida