U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Florida: housing, children, job market, education, cost of living.

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2008, 07:58 PM
 
944 posts, read 3,536,053 times
Reputation: 578

Advertisements

Housing aside, I'd like to hear about your opinions growing up in Florida. To be blunt, do you feel like you are as well-adjusted as others? My wife and I are starting a family and I want to know what you think about having been raised in FL (forgive me if you weren't).

I joke with my NYC friends: instead of throwing snowballs at cars as teenagers, my children will throw grapefruit; instead of snowmobiles, it's Carolina Skiffs. For example: I believe growing up in Rochester was good because I learned how to appreciate the sciences and hard work, however, it did not prepare me (and others) for the reality that not everyone "just has a job and gets by o.k." Make sense?

What do you think?

Last edited by Muggy; 07-05-2008 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2008, 09:15 PM
 
574 posts, read 1,843,614 times
Reputation: 470
I was born and raised here and am 49 years old. DH and I have raised our children here (he has been here since the age of 7). Our children are 21, 18 and 8. I was wondering if you could be more specific with your questions? Are you concerned about the job situation here? Education for your children? Colleges? I will be glad to try to answer your questions if I can.

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
9,324 posts, read 23,794,610 times
Reputation: 4901
I have been disappointed in what Florida has become. WHile the mass-invasion of a monoculture is blamed for all its ills, the fact is that Florida's economy has become severely dysfunctional. The transient nature of the area, and lack of stability or history is a big downside. Growing up I never experienced snow, but grabbing fresh oranges and bananas was something northerners did not do. The biggest problem I have experienced was growing up in an area which changed so quickly, and can no longer provide the resources for natives to become successful in a meaningful way. The artificially high cost of living, rampant corruption, severe overcrowding, and sunshine wages assure that your children will do worse than you will. Kids have fun and look forward to the future, but when reality hits they either move north or go nowhere. I know several "natives" who still live with their parents, and have professional careers. Think of this if you decide to raise a family in south Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 07:13 PM
 
574 posts, read 1,843,614 times
Reputation: 470
I think a lot depends upon where you are though in FL. The northern part of the state is vastly different, culturally and economically, from the southern part of the state. Even the climates are different. At the same time on any given winter evening it can be 25 in Tallahassee, 40 where I am (Daytona) and 60 in Miami. Decent jobs, unless you are a trained professional (doctor, nurse, teacher, electrician, etc.) are mostly centered in the very large cities because of our tourist based economy.

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
186,984 posts, read 76,871,298 times
Reputation: 130250
It's really what you want to make it. I grew up here and am college educated. My brother more so than myself. Of our 4 kids 2 mostly grew up here. One is a nurse and the other a school teacher. The other 2 were also raised in a very small town. One grew into an Oracle DBA and the other has a masters in computer cyber crime fighting or something similar. I know a lot of parents that like the small towns and clubs like 4H and FFA for their kids. That's not for everyone. No one will be happy if they don't have the means to earn. Happiness and safety are variables and I don't think any of us are exactly the same. Personally I prefer the smaller rural way of life in any state. If you read the news crime is every where in the world. No place I've found can claim a monopoly on it. IMHO. FL over all is as diverse as the rest of the county as a whole. Not to many of us natives left. I'm leaving for retirement for a place that is not changing. I don't view anyone's, anywhere concrete jungle as progress. Yet I know they serve a purpose. That said I still don't have to like living in one just as some of my city friends hate the quiet and peaceful rural life. Each to his/her own. That's my 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 07:06 AM
 
305 posts, read 735,019 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I have been disappointed in what Florida has become. WHile the mass-invasion of a monoculture is blamed for all its ills, the fact is that Florida's economy has become severely dysfunctional. The transient nature of the area, and lack of stability or history is a big downside. Growing up I never experienced snow, but grabbing fresh oranges and bananas was something northerners did not do. The biggest problem I have experienced was growing up in an area which changed so quickly, and can no longer provide the resources for natives to become successful in a meaningful way. The artificially high cost of living, rampant corruption, severe overcrowding, and sunshine wages assure that your children will do worse than you will. Kids have fun and look forward to the future, but when reality hits they either move north or go nowhere. I know several "natives" who still live with their parents, and have professional careers. Think of this if you decide to raise a family in south Florida.

Yea, I also know a couple people with professional "careers" that still live at home as well.

I think overall Florida is a bit "slower paced" than other areas, definitely if I had it to do over again, I would have never left NYC (a place where I was getting a better education and attending a private school) to come down here and live in South Florida. I think overall Floridians aren't as well balanced as individuals from other areas (I'm talking about people born and raised down here). They seem a bit slower, less educated and not to mention most lack any sort of professionalism.

Then you add in the wages and you have a pretty good example of how things have come to this.

I think if you have kids, you should consider another state to call home, unless you can afford the finer aspects such as private schooling and so forth but in general the bad pretty much outweighs the good here when in comes to advancement and overall survival.

Florida is nice, for retired individuals and tourist looking to take pictures but for the youth or people trying to get everything situated and better life, it's not a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 07:15 AM
 
15,184 posts, read 31,126,156 times
Reputation: 18354
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
Yea, I also know a couple people with professional "careers" that still live at home as well.

I think overall Florida is a bit "slower paced" than other areas, definitely if I had it to do over again, I would have never left NYC (a place where I was getting a better education and attending a private school) to come down here and live in South Florida. I think overall Floridians aren't as well balanced as individuals from other areas (I'm talking about people born and raised down here). They seem a bit slower, less educated and not to mention most lack any sort of professionalism.

Then you add in the wages and you have a pretty good example of how things have come to this.

I think if you have kids, you should consider another state to call home, unless you can afford the finer aspects such as private schooling and so forth but in general the bad pretty much outweighs the good here when in comes to advancement and overall survival.

Florida is nice, for retired individuals and tourist looking to take pictures but for the youth or people trying to get everything situated and better life, it's not a good fit.
Wow, what a condescending statement - so you have been ALL over Florida and this is your conclusion? Go back to NYC already. I was born and raised here, as was my dad, and all my relatives did very well with their OWN businesses and very little formal education. In fact, many became millionaires due to their work ethic. If some of you who came here from "up north" would quit your complaining and condescending remarks, or better yet go home, maybe this would be the nice place it was when I was growing up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 08:56 AM
 
3,842 posts, read 9,427,788 times
Reputation: 3189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
Housing aside, I'd like to hear about your opinions growing up in Florida. To be blunt, do you feel like you are as well-adjusted as others? My wife and I are starting a family and I want to know what you think about having been raised in FL (forgive me if you weren't).

I joke with my NYC friends: instead of throwing snowballs at cars as teenagers, my children will throw grapefruit; instead of snowmobiles, it's Carolina Skiffs. For example: I believe growing up in Rochester was good because I learned how to appreciate the sciences and hard work, however, it did not prepare me (and others) for the reality that not everyone "just has a job and gets by o.k." Make sense?

What do you think?
Our roots are not in FL but in the north. Due to unique circumstances, we found ourselves in SWFL with a 1 yr old; we didn't move there for the weather or for no state income tax, etc. We had every intention of staying there b/c we decided to move there & wanted to make it work for the sake of our son & ourselves.

I have a very close relationship with my family as my husband does with his family. Not until we had children did we realize the value of family time with extended family. It was getting very tough to spend holidays & bdays on the phone & hearing about everyone getting together for an impromptu bbq & we were not able to be there. It intensified in SWFL as we were in a very highly concentrated area of retirees and not many families, so we felt very alone.

Not everyone wants to be near their family or are ok seeing them once or twice a year. Some want to be back near family but are not able to due circumstances.

When we found out Baby #2 was on the way & our experience in SWFL made it very easy to decide to move back near family. Luckily, we were able to & it has been the best decision for us.

If our families lived in GA or OK or SWFL, we'd be there b/c as parents, we have decided that is what we want for our children. Come several years from now when our parents are gone, we don't know where we will end up as we get older. Right now, we are grateful our children know their grandparents on a personal level.

Overall, it's the parenting, not the place. As parents, we are happier near family, friends & what we grew up with, etc. We both decided that is what we want to share with our children. If they want to see the ocean, we can go on vacation.

As parents, you have decide the things that are important to YOUR family. Do you want to be near extended family? Do you want 4 seasons or would you enjoy milder weather? Would you prefer them to ski on the snow or the water?

Your children will be influenced by you & you are their role model, not the place. If you take parenting seriously & with the time & care it takes, you will succeed. It's an effort by all involved. If your wife & you are on the same page on how & where you want to raise your children, you will be just fine as will your children. Be involved with them & be consistent.

If your wife & you are happy in FL, you will be happy raising your children there & they will live a good life & adjust just fine.

Last edited by 121804; 07-07-2008 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Miami
6,853 posts, read 19,798,882 times
Reputation: 2907
As a native Floridian, college educated, traveled, etc. I think I turn out pretty good. I have to say that my mom was a very involved parent in my schooling which helped. I think that today if you as a parent are not involved with your children, you are taking a chance on that child not taking the right route in life.

My mom was born in Europe with 4 seasons. I think she thought raising a family in Florida would be a great thing, we could play outdoors year round. But I really think I missed out on things since its really hot here for half the year if not longer 10 months in South Florida. So I really didn't want to go outside when it was hot, unless we went into the pool. I wish I could ski or snowboard, going on vacation once a year to Colorado doesn't give you enough time to really learn. Or experienced ice skating on a lake during the winter. I wish I could of had a real Christmas with the snow on the ground outside the house, not Coconut Trees covered in lights while in shorts. It doesn't feel like Christmas in Florida without the cool weather. I wish I could of experienced the leave change in the Fall or Spring when all the trees and flowers bloom. (North Florida gets some of this however). Or going to a pumpkin patch or a christmas tree lot and picking out a tree. Oh and having a fireplace that I could use more than one day a year, that smell...Sledding...Slay Ride...Carroling in the cool weather...I could go on and on. I am now looking to leave Florida as it has gotten warmer and warmer here to the point we are having 10 months of 80 degree plus temps. I want to live in a place I can get outside more than 2 moths a year and not be drenched or exhausted because of the humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Crab Key
179 posts, read 1,124,286 times
Reputation: 60
I just want to point out that I've spent my entire life in snowy New England and do not ski or snowboard. As for skating on a lake? Many children here have died by drowning from attempting it and falling in the ice. Very rarely are the lakes even deemed safe to skate on. Also our winters here don't really kick in until after Christmas, so snowy Christmases are really rare...I haven't seen one in a long time. It's overcrowded here too...welcome to suburban America. And carrolling...um I don't think anyone does this. Who is to say you can't do it in Florida anyway? The fireplace or wood stove is pretty bad for your sinuses...I don't think most people use them. Also, it's "Sleigh Ride" not "Slay Ride"

I actually get out and enjoy the winter though (I guess... ha ha). We do grow pumpkins and other winter vegetables/squash, but Florida has tropical fruits too, and the NE really pales in comparison to the produce from Florida. Sledding, yes it is fun....I do prefer the beach though but that's my personal preference I guess. It is easier to stay indoors and study or work when it's cold out, since you know it's dreary outside and you aren't missing anything. We do have skating rinks here, but then again they have them on cruises to the Caribbean these days.

I just wanted to point out another perspective. I like living here but I also hate cold weather. Luckily it does not get really cold until January, so I'm out enjoying it while I can! Be happy for where you live and what your life is today...if you want something to happen, make it happen! The grass isn't always greener, and in fact, the grass might be quite similar, on the other side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top