U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 06:15 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,773,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Perhaps you live in an area where alot of lines are buried underground? My experiences were in the 60's. However, my parents still live there in a small town - there are no lines underground and they and get snow and ice most every year. In the last big storm they had they got alot of damage, lots of small trees, limbs down, other damage due to the ice. They were without power for days not hours.
They are all above ground lines where I am at,maybe the electric company has just gotten better at dealing with these things since you remember,BTW I forgot to mention I personally would love to live in sofl...gulf side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 06:23 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,773,362 times
Quote:
Did you read about how many deaths were caused by the latest winter storm?

141 People died heat-related deaths in California last year during a two week heat wave.

In 2003, at least 35,000 people died in Europe as the result of a heat wave.

According to the Earth Policy Institute in Washington, DC, heat waves claim more lives each year than hurricanes, floods and tornadoes combined.

The CDC says that between 1999 and 2003 a total of 3,442 US deaths resulted from exposure to extreme heat.
I knew more people died of heat verses cold and wanted to reply to that but I didn't have the FACTS..so thanks for printing that.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:45 AM

431 posts, read 1,977,831 times
Thumbs up Lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
WHY??? WHY???
Take a look at this & you won't EVER have to ask again!!!!!!
Oh - & don't neglect to check out the time stamp...
The more I think about it, the more I like it...IT IS GOOD!!!!!!!! (Slightly altered King Crimson quote...)
That was great! But let's not forget. It is January. Let's post a similar weather map around July. LOL

Old 01-21-2007, 06:57 AM

850 posts, read 2,906,138 times
I cannot agree with you more.

As with any state, any place in the world - there are drawbacks. Whether it's the cost of living, diversity of the culture, rules and regulations - there will always be something someone does not like.

As for me - I cannot think of another place in the world I would rather be.

When I was little, my grandparents went to Florida regularly. At some poitn when I was 2, they decided to rent out their house in Kentucky and move to Venice. I can remember visiting (memory like an elephant, here) and the warmth against my skin and the sun in my eyes stuck in my brain like nothing I had ever experienced. I just kept thinking about how to get back there.

When I was 16, I took a trip to Ft. Lauderdale with my cousins. It was rainey most of the time - we hit the rainey season in late July, August - but the sand and sun and waking to that brilliant sunrise was in my blood once more.

In 1996, we took the kids to Panama City for a short trip before school started. Again, the 'wave' hit me, and I spent time after coming home dreaming about where I had been.

The big push came in 2003/04. We traveled to Sanibel Island the day after Christmas, and stayed until New Years day. 80 degrees on the beach on New Years day - nothing like it. My parents moved down that year, and landed in Sebring. Thankfully the mobile home they first looked at in Port Charlotte was sold from under them - and while daddy was very upset, he did find a beautiful house in a great neighborhood in Sebring.

They were ther 4 months before Charlie cam ethough - andthe first home they looked at was reduced to nothing. God put them where He wanted them.

I was finally able to go back down this past Halloween week, and never felt better in my life. That week in Kentucky, the weather was cold, yucky and depressing. I sat on the beach in Venice, soaking up the sun, and then traveled to Bradenton the next day and spent more time in the sand. The sunset was amazing.

I think it is only personal preference. Like choosing which car to drive and only buying that make your entire life (Ford familiea, Chevy families, etc.) the sun and sand is either in your blood or it's not.

I live in Kentucky physically, but not a day goes by I do not think about the giulf, the sun, the sand, and meditate myself away to that wonderful place. I hear the stories of the high costs, the impact fees, the drawbacks - but none of that matters to me. If I ever have a chance to move - I am there.

I begin a new job on February 5th, and know it will be quite some time before I will see my beloved Florida (and parents again). I took this job because Cardinal Health has operations everywhere - Florida being one. There are jobs open right now in Orlando, Miami, Lakeland and Tampa/St.Pete. I will transfer as sson as I have enough time in and am able to go.

Living here - days and days go by without seeing the sun, my Fibromyalgia is double in the cold, and the feeling of the 'ceiling' pressing down on me is an everyday thing. Here, my life doesn't start until the warmth comes back - usually around April, May - so that means living in the house from November til then. That can weigh heavily upon your mind.

Other than personal preference, I cannot imagine why anyone would choose cold and gray over warm and sun. But fortunately, that is what makes us all so different and wonderful - prefernces about who we are and what we want from life.

As for me - give me a palm tree and sand anyday...

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/kimmieyky/PalmTreeForest.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-21-2007, 07:16 AM

5,702 posts, read 22,260,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Found this fascinating....who would believe as many people died from the cold in Florida as from the heat!!

Examining the time period from 1979 through 2001, the FOVS data listed 249 deaths, 125 from excessive heat and 124 from excessive cold. The number of temperature-related deaths during this period is greater than those from hurricanes, tornadoes, and even lightning.

In a state known for its mild winters, it is hard to believe that between 1979 and 2001, 124 people in Florida died from hypothermia. In the cold-snap of Christmas 1989, at least 26 people, many of them elderly, died from cold-related causes in Florida. “People with medical conditions such as diabetes can not tolerate too much cold,” said Todd LeDuc. In addition to the direct deaths caused by the cold, many other people are injured or die in fires or from toxic fumes created by portable heating devices.

In America among the large continental family of natural hazards, only the cold of winter -- not lightning, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, or earthquakes -- takes a greater toll than heat.
Great post! Most of the deaths during hurricanes can be prevented if people will follow directions. Hurricanes are now identified and tracked with greater accuracy. If people just watch the news and follow the evacuation process we can do better.

Look at New Orleans, poor planning and the syndrome of Is not going to hit or my house is a fortress or my house survive many hurricanes proved a great point we don't follow directions and we are way to relax about real danger.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:15 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,347,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Great post! Most of the deaths during hurricanes can be prevented if people will follow directions. Hurricanes are now identified and tracked with greater accuracy. If people just watch the news and follow the evacuation process we can do better.

Look at New Orleans, poor planning and the syndrome of Is not going to hit or my house is a fortress or my house survive many hurricanes proved a great point we don't follow directions and we are way to relax about real danger.
You can lead a horse to water, But you can't make it drink. I see mobile homes with roll down shutters on them. I don't get it.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:19 AM

Old 01-21-2007, 08:23 AM

Old 01-21-2007, 08:24 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,068,176 times
Kimmie, I love your post. There is nothing nicer then the good Florida sunshine to improve our moods and our health. So you have fibro, too? I'm fine during the summer, but late autumn it flares up and I suffer until spring. As soon as the weather warms up, I don't even have to take meds. Just biding my time until I can live where it's warm year-round.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:32 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,701,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I am asking my friends if all the bad things you and others speak about winter is true and not highly exaggerated.
Exaggerated? As opposed to what? Claiming that you can't open your window in 70 degree S. Florida winter weather in South Florida because you'll sweat to death in your 84 degree bedroom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or