U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:48 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,979,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
A large chunk of the world lives in hotter and more humid conditions than Southeast Florida. 72 is not hot. Neither is the average summer temperature, where in actuality, it can be MILDER in South Florida due to to sea breezes in the summer than in the middle of the Country.... like Chicago, where they freeze one season and bake the next.

I do like the weather up here better down there, although I'd like a bit of snow every now and then, but unless you're 9 months or 90 years you shouldn't be THAT intolerant of 80 degree weather!
Im not sure about that. I know over a Billion live in China and its freezing, in fact its in the minuses in central China. 72 is warm but when its 72 outside, its 85 inside. Ill take northern summers anyday over Florida summers. It gets hotter in deserts like Nevada, Utah, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and the heat was insane there, ive been to Las Vegas and it felt like an oven! But up north I was never hot, not in Wyoming, not in New York, especially not in Toronto(well once due to a near record 89 degree heat wave but it cooled to 70 a few days later) I can tolerate 80 degrees but not more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 11:30 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,027,372 times
Chinen, are you from Pa. or did you used to live there? From the charts on the weather page and from the charts on city data, it appears that Oil City gets an average of about 70 inches of snow a year. Is that fairly accurate? I also did a comparison of Oil City and Des Moines and there really isn't a lot of difference in their temps. The low in Jan was 4 degrees less in Des Moines then it was in Oil City. It appears to me that it's quite a snowy, chilly area.

NAH, we all like different temps and I'm more then ready to live where there is only one season. I've had enough of the snow and ice and cold and it sounds like you've had enough of the heat. Have you ever considered living in the panhandle of Fla? You'd be much closer to your family and would be able to drive to see them instead of having to fly. Airline tickets have gotten to be quite expensive the past few years.

TriM, have you always lived in Tallahassee or are you a transplant? That's an area that we're very interested in and I was wondering how you like it there. Do your oak trees stay green year round or do there leaves turn brown and fall in the autumn? Have you ever gotten snow or ice there?

Old 01-18-2007, 01:19 AM

3 posts, read 5,730 times
Funny you should post that map. We were in San Antonio and Houston until today. I think it's worth pointing out that the temperatures you are showing are flukes in many parts of the country. While it WAS nice to step off the plane and get SMACKED by a sauna feeling, it's not enough to keep us here. There are many temperate parts of the country that aren't freakishly hot in January either. I like a nice compromise and Miami definitely doesn't give you that! LOL! It's either hot or hotter.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
From the charts on the weather page and from the charts on city data, it appears that Oil City gets an average of about 70 inches of snow a year. Is that fairly accurate? I also did a comparison of Oil City and Des Moines and there really isn't a lot of difference in their temps. The low in Jan was 4 degrees less in Des Moines then it was in Oil City. It appears to me that it's quite a snowy, chilly area.
Oil city is zone 7a, Des Moines is zone 6a. The differences is almost 10 degrees, not 4. The difference is quite big and enough to make me reluctant to consider moving to Des Moines. I have it on my list of options but im unsure if I want this much cold. I definately dont want south Dakota, im sure its a great state, I just cant tolerate -20 temperatures If Oil city is too cold, theres some zone 8a states a little north of Florida. What is the minimum zone you are willing to live in?

Quote:
NAH, we all like different temps and I'm more then ready to live where there is only one season. I've had enough of the snow and ice and cold and it sounds like you've had enough of the heat. Have you ever considered living in the panhandle of Fla? You'd be much closer to your family and would be able to drive to see them instead of having to fly. Airline tickets have gotten to be quite expensive the past few years.
Were you born in SD? I was born and lived all my life in south FL and its gone downhill. North FL is better, less crime, better weather and 1/2 to 2/3 the house costs. I considered the panhandle but it would either be a mobile home, a 1/1 condo or a broken shack as I am not rich enough for a proper house My family is welcomed to relocate with me. If they wont, that is their own bad choice. I am not going to live where im unhappy. My family can always fly and visit me if they wont relocate.

Let me warn you that you will sweat profusely all the time in Florida. You will need a/c 24/7 and wont be able to stay out for long during the day. Sunburns are commonplace, I burn in 5 minutes in the sun, even with sunblock I will still burn but itll take longer and the burn is milder. Yes the sun is that strong in Florida, its tropical(nearly tropical in north FL) Also theres hurricanes to deal with. Have you read all the posts of people unhappy with FL? I suggest you rent first in FL, the change in climate is a big shock for you(as itll be for me when I move north )

Old 01-18-2007, 03:00 AM

168 posts, read 699,871 times
Smile with all due respect

Need_affordable_home....i ask this in the interest of getting a handle on your posts...how old are you?

Old 01-18-2007, 04:23 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,388,071 times
Glad ya'll liked the map! (I came on here & was curious if anyone commented... I didn't expect 4 pages! )

NAH - what is up with your house?! When it's 72 out (which seems to be what it ALWAYS is lately! Serious - everytime I look it's 72! And above 90% humidity! ) it's about 75/76 in here!!!
WHY IS IT SO HOT IN YOUR HOUSE??? THAT'S NOT NORMAL!!!
I mean, that is REALLY weird!!!
If our ac is OFF in the MIDDLE OF SUMMER!!!! (like in a power outage) THEN it goes to 85 - after a few HOURS OF NO AC!!!!!!!
I think I've only seen 85 once - & I'm not even sure- I REALLY think it was 82!
So there is SOMETHING up with your house!!!!!

Old 01-18-2007, 06:59 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,767,619 times
Quote:
Chinen, are you from Pa. or did you used to live there? From the charts on the weather page and from the charts on city data, it appears that Oil City gets an average of about 70 inches of snow a year. Is that fairly accurate? I also did a comparison of Oil City and Des Moines and there really isn't a lot of difference in their temps. The low in Jan was 4 degrees less in Des Moines then it was in Oil City.
Oil City gets snow but 70 inches seems excessive to me,areas like cambridge springs and Edinboro get alot more snow because they are right in the middle of the snowbelt,Oil City always seemed to get considerably less snow than those areas,but breaking that down from late november thru late march it doesn't amount to much,especially if you consider you may get 1 or 2 storms of 12 inches which probably what drives oil cities numbers up.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:55 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,027,372 times
Nah, I was born in So. Dak. and have never lived any place else. I'm 51 years old and I figure I'll spend the other 51 years in Fla. and if I don't like it, I'll move back up here. And I do agree that Fla. gets quite warm, but it doesn't seem like it's as much from the temps as from the humidity. We are at the very north end of tornado alley and don't normally get the Category 4 and 5 tornadoes that Kansas and Ok get, but we have had them. Florida normally gets tornadoes with a cane and when they get them otherwise, they're generally only a Cat 1.

We've been to Fla. and absolutely love it there, but we realize when we move there, it won't be the same as vacationing there. Like I said in a previous post, we're not running FROM our state, we're running To Fla. We're looking for a nicer climate and the number one reason is that we no longer have family up here. Our surviving family members live in Fla. because my sis in law was born and raised there so they moved back to her hometown.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:10 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 17,100,129 times
Need_aff_home, I know that, where I live, it's a bit "cooler" in the winter than it is in PA, but I'll be happy to say that I will gladly trade some a/c bills in for my heating bills. I pay on a budget plan for my heating oil. Each month, all twelve of them, I pay $236 for heating oil. That includes a slight discount for being a contracted customer. Oh, and there's an electric bill on top of that (I believe your a/c bill is in your electric bill), which ranges anywhere from $50 to $100/month, depending on time of year, etc. And I'd like to add to the elequent post with all the questions...

Have you ever gone to bed at 6:00 at night because you're chilled to the bone and can't get warmed anywhere else and you have to put your face under the blankets because your nose is so cold you have to? Mind you, I keep my thermostat at 68 degrees, and our house is not that old, so the insulation and windows do a decent job of keeping the heat in, but when it's below zero, you don't get warm, believe me.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Glad ya'll liked the map! (I came on here & was curious if anyone commented... I didn't expect 4 pages! )

NAH - what is up with your house?! When it's 72 out (which seems to be what it ALWAYS is lately! Serious - everytime I look it's 72! And above 90% humidity! ) it's about 75/76 in here!!!
WHY IS IT SO HOT IN YOUR HOUSE??? THAT'S NOT NORMAL!!!
I mean, that is REALLY weird!!!
If our ac is OFF in the MIDDLE OF SUMMER!!!! (like in a power outage) THEN it goes to 85 - after a few HOURS OF NO AC!!!!!!!
I think I've only seen 85 once - & I'm not even sure- I REALLY think it was 82!
So there is SOMETHING up with your house!!!!!

Highest ive seen my bedroom get to was like 89 degrees in the summer. Its 84 degrees now, opening the window and turning the fan on would only lower the temp by one degree, I need a/c year round, you dont because you love it really warm! It gets hot because we have a big house with thick walls and lots of lights and appliances. Downstairs its a little cooler, like 81 degrees. We can turn the a/c off if it gets to like 60 outside then its like 77 degrees downstairs indoors and like 80 degrees in my room. The coldest its been in my bedroom was like 63 degrees when it was 40 outside(was a while ago) and I had the window open for fresh air. I am not worried about cold when I move north as long as it stays above 32 degrees I wont need heat because its always much warmer inside than outside!

Good luck Jammie with Florida! Hope you are happier in FL than I am. Have you looked at Texas or Georgia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Need_aff_home, I know that, where I live, it's a bit "cooler" in the winter than it is in PA, but I'll be happy to say that I will gladly trade some a/c bills in for my heating bills. I pay on a budget plan for my heating oil. Each month, all twelve of them, I pay $236 for heating oil. That includes a slight discount for being a contracted customer. Oh, and there's an electric bill on top of that (I believe your a/c bill is in your electric bill), which ranges anywhere from $50 to $100/month, depending on time of year, etc. And I'd like to add to the elequent post with all the questions...

Have you ever gone to bed at 6:00 at night because you're chilled to the bone and can't get warmed anywhere else and you have to put your face under the blankets because your nose is so cold you have to? Mind you, I keep my thermostat at 68 degrees, and our house is not that old, so the insulation and windows do a decent job of keeping the heat in, but when it's below zero, you don't get warm, believe me.

You can have my $400 a/c bills every month. Ill pay $150 for heat as I dont need 68 degrees, another idea is I can heat the house a little above freezing and get a space heater to raise the temperature in my bedroom and bathroom to 60 degrees, why heat the whole house if im the only one living there? How hot do your summers get to? 75? 80? In the northeast the summers's high is between 70 and 90 ill need a window a/c unit in my bedroom but wont waste a/c cooling the whole house, dont want central a/c.

Its true you feel cozy buried under blankets, Ive done it when there was an unusual cold front bringing temps to 45 outside(was like 70 in my bedroom unheated) and that cool air felt great! Ive even had the window open before and theres nothing like breathing cool, crisp fresh air How often does it get below zero, what city you live in? I checked the temperature records for Ohio and West Virginia and it almost never gets below zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or