U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2008, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Lakeland, FLorida
29 posts, read 90,783 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

We live in Lakeland and most of people in our sub are from out of state, vacation homes or snowbirds, or moving here permanent. They cannot believe how cheap Lakeland is , compared to other parts of Florida. We have everything but 1 hr to beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2008, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
1,303 posts, read 2,664,558 times
Reputation: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You cannot claim state income tax for a deduction on federal taxes. Also, most people go to FL after they retire when their income is low. Not paying state income taxes, when your income is already low anyway, is not such a great deal. Especially, when sales tax and other fees are higher to make up for it. In fact, the average income is low in FL but most prices are higher. The state knows what it is doing to reap a high tax base.
As long as an individual is not subject to the alternative minimum tax (AMT) ;and he/she does itemize, state income taxes are fully deductible upon one's federal tax return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2008, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Midwest
31,007 posts, read 19,495,190 times
Reputation: 7720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
As long as an individual is not subject to the alternative minimum tax (AMT) ;and he/she does itemize, state income taxes are fully deductible upon one's federal tax return.
Yes, I meant that "unless you pay state taxes, you cannot claim them as a deduction. Can the FL residents claim state sales tax for a federal tax deduction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2008, 06:43 PM
 
393 posts, read 1,355,055 times
Reputation: 179
You could also stay in Virginia to save money; pretty much anywhere other than NOVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2008, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Gringolandia
291 posts, read 783,838 times
Reputation: 630
To the OP:

I've been to Reston, and I must say that if you can afford to live comfortably in Reston, then you can afford to live comfortably in a nice neighborhood in almost any county in the United States. Think how fortunate you are!

I understand your disappointment, but I see it as an inevitable result of human nature. We all seem to want things we can't always have.

Maybe you can figure out a way to make things work. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2008, 09:06 PM
 
11,636 posts, read 20,380,892 times
Reputation: 12159
When people come on here and say it's soooooo much cheaper in FL, many of us chime in and say-yes, it can be cheaper but it's not THAT much cheaper. Then we get an argument about how much cheaper it is here than other places. Blah blah blah. Afterwards there is this anger. Look-it's a little cheaper in FL than some other places, but it's alot more expensive than others. Please folks (not directed at the OP, just a general comment) listen to us when we tell you IT IS NOT THAT CHEAP TO LIVE IN FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 05:41 AM
 
5,969 posts, read 7,717,918 times
Reputation: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
When people come on here and say it's soooooo much cheaper in FL, many of us chime in and say-yes, it can be cheaper but it's not THAT much cheaper. Then we get an argument about how much cheaper it is here than other places. Blah blah blah. Afterwards there is this anger. Look-it's a little cheaper in FL than some other places, but it's alot more expensive than others. Please folks (not directed at the OP, just a general comment) listen to us when we tell you IT IS NOT THAT CHEAP TO LIVE IN FL.
I totally agree, especially when you factor in the ultra low-wages you get in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 06:23 AM
 
4,337 posts, read 6,027,600 times
Reputation: 10407
It's not that cheap to live anywhere any more! We came from Alexandria, VA to Vero Beach, FL and there are things that are more expensive down here and things that are less expensive. BTW, most of the communities in Viera have CDD fees on top of taxes and on top of HOAs. As another posted pointed out, if you look beyond Viera, you can do just fine down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
1,303 posts, read 2,664,558 times
Reputation: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
It's not that cheap to live anywhere any more! We came from Alexandria, VA to Vero Beach, FL and there are things that are more expensive down here and things that are less expensive. BTW, most of the communities in Viera have CDD fees on top of taxes and on top of HOAs. As another posted pointed out, if you look beyond Viera, you can do just fine down here.
Vero,

What are CDD fees, and what do they typically cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 07:40 AM
 
10,604 posts, read 14,129,393 times
Reputation: 17198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Vero,

What are CDD fees, and what do they typically cost?
here's a story:

CDD - The Hidden Cost of Living


http://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...-cdd-fees.html

Understanding Florida's Community Development Districts (http://ezinearticles.com/?Understanding-Floridas-Community-Development-Districts&id=465727 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top