Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,986 times

Advertisements

The OP is a waiter, not a law enforcement officer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 12:27 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The salary range starts at $39k. What do you expect? Everyone to come in on a job and make
the top salary? Be realistic.
Employers base those ranges upon the highest anyone has ever been paid holding that position, and has little to do with the reality of payscale once working unless one plans a long career in the same spot.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
What I really wonder is why, over the past 20 years plus, have more and more people decided to live in FL rather than a place where they would make more money?
Sunshine and unfortunately the subsequent Sunshine Tax.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:40 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I got that starting salary directly from the Hernando County Sheriff's Office.

It has nothing to do with someone basing a range.

Just own up to it, the situation is not as you paint it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Employers base those ranges upon the highest anyone has ever been paid holding that position, and has little to do with the reality of payscale once working unless one plans a long career in the same spot.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I got that starting salary directly from the Hernando County Sheriff's Office.

It has nothing to do with someone basing a range.

Just own up to it, the situation is not as you paint it.
Why are you and a couple of others who are obviously so misinformed, so rabidly persistent and self righteous about it??? Florida ranks #37 in the USA for Median Household Income (nearly 6K below the national average) and #28 overall in Cost of Living. It's been proven factually that it's not cheap to live here and is by no means any bargain. It's swell that you love it so much but let's not fabricate.

List of U.S. states by income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.missourieconomy.org/indic...ost_of_living/

Old 04-07-2013, 01:25 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
You should probably do a better job of reading thoroughly. My source for salary is from the NYPD website. The beginning pay I mention is while at the Police Academy, and not in the field. It includes holiday pay, uniform allowance and night shift differential pay. There is no "fudging" of the numbers since it clearly states when you clear the 5 year mark (5.5 years) the base increases to $76,488 with a total of $90,829 when factoring in the same criteria factored with base pay. Despite your assertions, no cop in podunk Hernando County Florida is going to come anywhere close to making 70K-90k after a few years on the force and despite tax differences still no where near the net standard of living provided by the NYPD.

Benefits & Salary Overview | NYPDRECRUIT.COM
I read it thoroughly, never did I say it wasn't the NYPD website. What I said was, "Your link shows top base pay of $41,975 but does not explain the difference between top base pay and regular starting salary nor how you would get this."
The further numbers also state top base pay with no explanation of how to get there.

We would need to bring this back to what the thread is about though and that is whether or not it is cheaper to live in Florida. I happen to know dozens of NYPD officers, I also know plenty that worked NYPD and then moved to Florida and became a LEO here. While many of my friends are doing fine up there, the LEOs here are doing just as good because a 3 bedroom house in a nice area is not going to cost $500,000, you can get a nice 3 bedroom in Hernando for $100,000.

Lets take those numbers into account but we'll drop the housing cost to $400,000 in NY and up the housing to $150,000 in Hernando. In NY you would be paying about $14,000 more a year for mortgage, about $5200 more a year for property tax, about $2500 for state income tax and about $1700 for NYC income tax. For the income tax I gave generous deductions from your "$75000" and made it $50,000 taxable income but just for housing and income tax you can take almost $25,000 right off the top.

Yes, if you want to shave some costs you can buy a home in Dutchess County, of course your commute will be around 2 hours each way making that 12 hour shift into a 16 hour or more shift.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:33 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
The OP is a waiter, not a law enforcement officer. smack:
The OP posted once and never even said what she did for a living in this thread, the person who bumped the thread after 5 years of dormancy is a LEO in Chicago, do you ever read before posting?

Old 04-07-2013, 01:58 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
OK 37 out of 50 and 28 overall. Kinda in the middle as far as the second one goes.

Nobody is saying it is cheap to live here, or anywhere for that matter.

There are other factors to take into account besides the amount of the paycheck.

Quote:
Why are you and a couple of others who are obviously so misinformed, so rabidly persistent and self righteous about it??? Florida ranks #37 in the USA for Median Household Income (nearly 6K below the national average) and #28 overall in Cost of Living. It's been proven factually that it's not cheap to live here and is by no means any bargain. It's swell that you love it so much but let's not fabricate.

Cost of Living 4th Quarter 2012

Old 04-07-2013, 02:18 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
I think the OP's question was answered in the first few replies to this thread. I know that when my parents bought a place down there in the late 70's it was an extremly cheap place to live. I suppose if you want to live in a doublewide away from the coast it probablly still could be cheaper. We moved down in 01 and bought a place not far from the Gulf. Insurance was a killer and just kept getting worse. Automobile insurance was more expensive, food really didnt seem any cheaper. It really didnt change much in the ten years that we lived there. After moving back to N.H. we did a very thorough comparison of the difference in costs. It costs us around $900 a year more to live in the White Mountains than it did to live on the Gulf. Not bad.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:36 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:

Cost of Living 4th Quarter 2012
It's ok to admit you were wrong re: cop wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida