Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 02:48 PM

24,322 posts, read 26,692,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
After all this time, and with all the internet resources available, why in the world do people move here thinking it will be cheaper to live here than elsewhere?
Because it is cheaper than many parts of the country! DUH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,902,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
After all this time, and with all the internet resources available, why in the world do people move here thinking it will be cheaper to live here than elsewhere?
It's cheaper here for sure.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 PM

66 posts, read 97,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
It's cheaper here for sure.
facts? any sources to back this up? or just "your own experience"????

Old 04-04-2013, 03:49 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,007,758 times
I find the retarded view is that of the malcontents who no matter where they lived would have the same "problems" they do by living in FL. It seems that people who are not making it in life in general blame a place on their misfortunes instead of realizing that it is them, not the place they live that is lacking.

What facts are you purporting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitch21 View Post
City Data forums (the Florida board in particular] gives people a retarded view of what day to day life is really like in Florida. There are so many realtors and other cheerleaders that prop up this place like its some kind of utopia when the fact is, you will be working hard if not harder for your money and everything else that goes with it. The site definately has a biased towards the "rainbows and gummy bears" view because if someone tries to states something other than that even if it is fact, the threads get deleted as "troll threads" and the user gets banned.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:57 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,800,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2121 View Post
Curious if anyone could compare my stats. I live in Chicago suburbs, (cook county). I pay 10% sales tax, HUGE income tax, gas is 4.10 a gallon or more (highest in country even over Hawaii). I also deal with horrifying winters, normal suburban homes here are still around 260k for just normal, and my normal taxes are about 7k. (I am a police officer) and we do make best money around here at around 85+OT and benefits. Anyone from floridas thoughts??
Sales tax in Broward County is 6%. Gas is around $3.89 per gallon for regular. Winters are beautiful here, summers are hot and wet. Normal suburban homes are in the mid $200s, taxes on a similar house would be around $3-4K per year. Police officer salaries are quite a bit lower than you quoted. Police officers just don't make that much money around here.

The issue in FL is not the cost of living. It costs a little bit less to live here than many other places in the US. The issue is that while cost of of living is a little less than it is in other areas, salaries are a lot lower than they are elsewhere.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:59 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,837,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Because it is cheaper than many parts of the country! DUH
CNBC's rankings for 2012 "America's Top States for Business" (Found here: Top States 2012: Overall Ranking)

Has Florida ranked as the 25th Cheapest Cost of Living, 27th in Business Friendliness, 42nd in Education, 47th in Economy, and 30th in Quality of Life.

When adding all of their rankings together, Florida is 29th.

I'm sure many will not agree with their rankings, but it's not "cheaper" than many parts of the country, it's just cheaper than where a majority of Americans (Northeast & West Coast) live. It ranks 25th, which is right in the middle.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:47 PM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
CNBC's rankings for 2012 "America's Top States for Business" (Found here: Top States 2012: Overall Ranking)

Has Florida ranked as the 25th Cheapest Cost of Living, 27th in Business Friendliness, 42nd in Education, 47th in Economy, and 30th in Quality of Life.

I'm sure many will not agree with their rankings, but it's not "cheaper" than many parts of the country, it's just cheaper than where a majority of Americans (Northeast & West Coast) live. It ranks 25th, which is right in the middle.
Spot on Ryan!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,440,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2121 View Post
I ask because I love Florida and would like to lateral to a department down there. Yes I know ill take a big salary cut. But does anyone think I can even out with taxes and new real estate? If even be ok with a slight less if I can live there. Looking at the Sarasota or nearby areas closer to gulf but not too close to shore???? Thanks guys
Living Wage Calculator - Introduction to the Living Wage Calculator

Old 04-05-2013, 07:16 AM

745 posts, read 1,573,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

it's cheaper than where i'm from, and that's all that matters to me.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,800,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
it's cheaper than where i'm from, and that's all that matters to me.
How do wages compare? People do not seem to understand that you probably cannot make anywhere close to the amount of money here that you make elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida