U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2007, 05:16 PM

4 posts, read 22,250 times

Advertisements

I am a single, 25 yr. old male, lived in Ohio my entire life. I am looking at going back to college to pursue an MBA. Two of my choices are Georgia and Florida. I have most relatives in Ohio but I do have a brother and sister both in Florida. I am looking to move south not only for college but for at least the next 5-10 years beyond and possibly the rest of my life. I am tired of Ohio's winters and lackluster economy. I have been on many vacations to the South over the years and really think I would like it because of warmer weather, job opportunities, quality of life, culture, etc.

My question is where should I go to college (Athens, GA or Gainesville, FL)? For purposes of this discussion I am not worried about the particular colleges themselves and their strengths, weaknesses, etc.! I have done extensive research on the Warrington and Terry Colleges of Business. (1) I am asking for your advice as it relates to life in these two college towns. (2) I am also asking about which state you would advise me to begin my post-MBA career (Georgia or Florida)?

I am looking to get involved in corporate finance after my MBA and would live in Atlanta, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, or Miami-Ft. Lauderdale after college. So, which college I attend would have an impact on where my first job most likely would be. I am your typical 25 year old single guy. I like college/professional sports, going to bars/clubs etc. on weekends, hanging out with friends. Nothing special, just like to have a good time with friends. I do not plan on marriage/family for at least 5-10 more years.

So to summarize:
(1) which is a better college town (Athens or Gainesville)?
(2) which is a better state to begin a career with an MBA (GA or FL)?
(3) considering the previous two questions together where would you suggest I go to school??
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 07:30 AM

647 posts, read 1,846,092 times
This is a tough choice since both schools are very good. Gainesville and Athens are both nice "college" type towns, although Athens is smaller with a more "alternative" type of vibe to it, if you know what I'm saying. As for post graduation, I believe that Georgia, particularly the Atlanta area, would have more potential for a recent graduate who is ready to begin employment in finance, depending on what, specifically, you want to do.

If it was me going through your situation, I would probably steer toward UGA with the higher potential of the ATL area with post graduation opportunities. Atlanta is home to MANY major corporations, including fortune 500 companies. I just don't think that there are as many opportunities in Florida. Of course there are in the larger markets that you mentioned, but I'm speaking in general terms here and believe that you stand a better chance of earning a job in the ATL metro as a recent graduate.

Of course, you could attend UF and then relocate, but, the UGA/Atlanta combo may be more convenient. Another option would be to stick with UGA, get your start in the ATL area, gain some experience, then later on, consider the move to Tampa, Orlando, or Jacksonville.

Anyway, this is just my opinion of course..........

Old 01-18-2007, 07:47 AM

43 posts, read 190,109 times
I'm biased towards G'ville as a town, because I grew up there. Its a great college town. However, if you are looking to work near where you went to school, Athens hands down. You will have lots of choices in Atlanta, and not so many in Florida. Frankly, out of the big southern cities, Atlanta is about the best in my opinion.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:42 AM

627 posts, read 2,616,964 times
I agree with both posters' responses here. Athens is a great area and you will more than likely find better work/pay/housing in the Atlanta & Metro areas.

I used to take my Boxers to the Athens UGA teaching Vet Clinic, when I lived in NE Atlanta... and the driving in town is far better than in Gainesville.

Hey, Good Luck with which ever you choose!!

Old 01-18-2007, 06:24 PM

4 posts, read 22,250 times
Smile Thanks for the info!

Thank you for the helpful responses. It is an extremely difficult decision for me as they are both excellent business schools. An MBA from either one will be a very valuable asset to me for the rest of my life. I realize that I could get a job just about anywhere. But, there is a big difference between being an alumnus of an in-state school versus being one of an out-of-state school when it comes to pursuing a career in two rival states such as Georgia and Florida. Their alumni networks overlap, but of course Georgia's will be stronger in Georgia and Florida's in the state of Florida. Economically, Georgia has a much higher proportion of Fortune 500 headquarters relative to its population than does Florida. It also has numerous regional headquarters and a growing entertainment industry in music and movies. It appears that rising costs and hurricanes in Florida could cause this divide between the two states to get even wider, at least over the next 10 years or so.

As a result, right now I am leaning towards attending UGA because of the long-term consequences. The overall feeling that I get on these forums is that there is quite a bit of "unrest" in Florida, much more so than Georgia. It appears that rapid population growth coupled with a large elderly population, heavy immigration from the Caribbean, and greater hurrican activity have put a great strain on many people in Florida. Real estate prices, property taxes, insurance premiums, and costs of goods and services appear to be rising quite substantially, more so than the increase in income.

It's impossible to predict things on a long-term basis, but it appears that Georgia would be a much better option than Florida, at least over the next 10-20 years. It appears that Georgia will have a much better cost of living relative to income, less overcrowding, less strain from elderly needs, and of course less stress from natural disasters. Georgia does have rapid immigration right now, but it is a different type of immigration, much less diverse, and not as concentrated in certain areas. Georgia's immigration is almost entirely Mexican, and isn't as concentrated in certain ethnic "ghettos", as appears to have happened in many areas of South Florida. I would guess that over the next 20 years, there will be more assimilation and less ethnic tension among Georgia's immigrants than among Florida's. In terms of population stress, Georgia has a much larger area of developable land than Florida but a much smaller population. This should mean that Georgia will not have as much overcrowding as Florida, at least for a few decades.

So, like I said, I am leaning towards UGA right now because of the long-term potential of a career in Georgia and quality of life versus Florida. I have not made a final decision yet but hope to in the next week or so.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:24 AM

23 posts, read 150,399 times
I would reccomend Gainesville, nr. Orlando and Tampa because ALT has A LOT of crime, I would rather go to Fl. for beaches anyway though!

Old 03-04-2007, 09:50 AM

2,227 posts, read 7,536,725 times
ohio boy, tough decision to make. as for me, similar age, similar background, but i am biased cause i like fla a lot better.

you said in earlier post that you didnt need an opinion on which school is better as you've done the research. but i thought i'd give you an opinion anyway. uf is a better school. just thought i'd throw that out there. the advantage i see of ug is being close to atl. atl is the biggest city in the south, so jobs and pay, and cost of living may be better there. if you llok at the big picture, which i know you are, being 25, i'd like the florida lifestyle better. outside of atl, there really isnt much there imo. i also like the beaches and the babes = advantage fl. atl would just be too big for me personally. and fla's job market is probably one of the best in the entire u.s.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:02 PM

102 posts, read 182,641 times
UF is a much better school of course.

You would have Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville all within 2 hours.

Also, UF is halfway between ATL and Miami. There are a lot of UF grads in ATL.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:09 PM

499 posts, read 412,773 times
This thread is from 9 years ago. I'm sure the OP made his choice and moved far beyond grad school by now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or