U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 09:46 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,296,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
it would destroy the natural beauty of the state.
Shaking my head... soooooo much of the beauty of the state has already been destroyed and it continues...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 11:30 AM

2,254 posts, read 1,547,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I always chuckle when people claim there is no good jobs, yet there is nothing but decent single family homes for miles and miles. Who do you think buys these homes?
Having worked in construction for over 25+ yrs, building these houses and meeting many of the homeowners. I also chuckle when people complain about so called "only low pay jobs" in florida.
I have been in subdivision after subdivision with 200K plus houses. Then people tell me that only retired people with northern money buy those houses. Yet the homeowners I met were young families with kids, usually coming to Florida from transfers out of state.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:24 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,179,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Shaking my head... soooooo much of the beauty of the state has already been destroyed and it continues...
Depends on where in the state you are. S. FL surely has been destroyed however, where I am there are thousands of acres of wildlife preserve which will never see development. Going east from here there are miles of undisturbed FL. S. FL isnt representative of the whole state. Its just a small part of it all. Get away from there, north of Ft. Pierce, and a different view opens to you.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:53 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,347,791 times
Quote:
Depends on where in the state you are. S. FL surely has been destroyed however, where I am there are thousands of acres of wildlife preserve which will never see development. Going east from here there are miles of undisturbed FL. S. FL isnt representative of the whole state. Its just a small part of it all. Get away from there, north of Ft. Pierce, and a different view opens to you.
Apparently you have never heard of the Everglades.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:08 PM

9,419 posts, read 6,447,607 times
Quote:
To be fair, Spring Hillian DID say that S.FL was obviously environmentally destroyed.

I agree that Spring Hill is surrounded by areas of undisturbed natural beauty. The Green Swamp is one of several areas that comes to mind.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
To be fair, Spring Hillian DID say that S.FL was obviously environmentally destroyed.

I agree that Spring Hill is surrounded by areas of undisturbed natural beauty. The Green Swamp is one of several areas that comes to mind.
South Florida has the 3rd largest protected national park in the USA. In fact, it really only exists as a park for the purpose of protecting it. It takes up most of South Florida. It seems absurd to suggest that South Florida is "destroyed" and lacking in natural beauty when almost the entirety of South Florida is a massive protected world heritage site . And that doesn't even take into consideration countless areas in the Keys.

Spring Hillian said where she is "Spring Hill I presume" has thousands of acres of preserve in the area.... and that South Florida is "surely destroyed"... It's comical. Everglades National Park is 1.5 MILLION acres........ Entirely in South Florida. And that's just the park. It doesn't include Big Cypress or the management areas, which nearly doubles the size and so much more than even that. Even the little Loxahatchee Wildlife Refuge is 150,000 acres....

Old 12-02-2015, 02:43 PM

9,419 posts, read 6,447,607 times
Quote:
South Florida has the 3rd largest protected national park in the USA. In fact, it really only exists as a park for the purpose of protecting it. It takes up most of South Florida. It seems absurd to suggest that South Florida is "destroyed" and lacking in natural beauty when almost the entirety of South Florida is a massive protected world heritage site . And that doesn't even take into consideration countless areas in the Keys.

Spring Hillian said where she is "Spring Hill I presume" has thousands of acres of preserve in the area.... and that South Florida is "surely destroyed"... It's comical. Everglades National Park is 1.5 MILLION acres........ Entirely in South Florida. And that's just the park. It doesn't include Big Cypress or the management areas, which nearly doubles the size and so much more than even that. Even the little Loxahatchee Wildlife Refuge is 150,000 acres....
Yes. I agree with you.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Sure I have. Last time I saw the Everglades was when I flew into Ft. Lauderdale. Looking down I could not belive the number of houses I saw out in "the middle of no where". They looked like they were sitting on small islands surrounded by water. The closer we got to the airport (and lower to the ground) the density of houses increased dramatically. Less than 1/4 of the Everglades is under federal protection.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Sure I have. Last time I saw the Everglades was when I flew into Ft. Lauderdale. Looking down I could not belive the number of houses I saw out in "the middle of no where". They looked like they were sitting on small islands surrounded by water. The closer we got to the airport (and lower to the ground) the density of houses increased dramatically. Less than 1/4 of the Everglades is under federal protection.

Such nonsense.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Such nonsense.
You are disagreeing on what I saw with my own eyes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or