Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 08:14 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired11 View Post
I have to agree with the original post....we are moving back to NY.....too expensive here in Florida. Somehow the politicians don't get it and keep focusing on building homes and only homes. I wish I could figure out why they cater to housing developers and not to thousands of industrial jobs. You would think every major automaker, airplane manufacturer and every single industry would have their whole operations here.

I think if Disney ever shut down this state would go bankrupt.
Buh bye!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 08:18 AM

162 posts, read 146,785 times
Default Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Buh bye!!
Shouldn't it be bye, bye?

Old 12-03-2015, 08:56 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Briefly lived in Florida (Daytona Beach), and enjoyed my time there. Loved being less than 10 minutes from the beach and enjoyed the nature on a daily basis. Lots to see, do and experience and I really appreciated the winters! This really is an old (2007) and subjective thread, though.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:04 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
I have to agree with the original post....we are moving back to NY.....too expensive here in Florida. Somehow the politicians don't get it and keep focusing on building homes and only homes. I wish I could figure out why they cater to housing developers and not to thousands of industrial jobs. You would think every major automaker, airplane manufacturer and every single industry would have their whole operations here.

They build houses because people have jobs and can pay for the houses. Kind of basic supply and demand. Larger industries and operations tend to be moving to Texas for many of the same things Florida offers, but a much more central location. NY has been begging people to move their companies there with the promise of waiving taxes and freebies and it's still not working.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:12 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
They build houses because people have jobs and can pay for the houses. Kind of basic supply and demand. Larger industries and operations tend to be moving to Texas for many of the same things Florida offers, but a much more central location. NY has been begging people to move their companies there with the promise of waiving taxes and freebies and it's still not working.
Kiplinger also just ranked the top 15 least tax-friendly states for retirees. NY is #10, and most are in the NE.

As to Startup NY...from Forbes

"The report summarized the first year of a program that Cuomo launched in 2014 to create tech clusters in the state, giving tax breaks to tech-related businesses that open near college campuses. The state has already spent $47 million on advertising, and overall public expenditures for the program’s first three years are expected to be $323 million. Total job creation figures after five years are expected to be 2,085, but so far that figure stands at a whopping 76 jobs."

$323M for 76 jobs, despite income and other tax breaks.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:22 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Chasing dollar bills is a much better pastime than chasing poverty.
Thing is the poverty rate is quite in line with the rest of the country. Low wages are paid to the unskilled and those without ability. That is here in FL just like anywhere else.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:36 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Thing is the poverty rate is quite in line with the rest of the country. Low wages are paid to the unskilled and those without ability. That is here in FL just like anywhere else.
If you include unrelated children, the 2014 poverty rate in NY State exceeds that of Florida (15.9% to 14.6%). Also, despite similar population NY has more people living in poverty than Florida as well, although by most measures they are pretty close.

NY also has the next to lowest GINI coefficient (to be fair, Florida isn't that much better). So despite all of the taxation of earners and subsidies that NY gives to low income people it's still very unequal.

I do find it ironic that @retired11 talks about earning potential as he's, well, retired. While I wouldn't be looking for movie or TV roles in Florida or starting up a hedge fund here there are a lot of opportunities.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:08 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,860 times
Quote:
Shouldn't it be bye, bye?
You hardly deserve proper spelling, what with how annoying you have been since moving here. Go back to chasing bagels in New York.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:44 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
$323M for 76 jobs, despite income and other tax breaks.
Lol, that sounds very "New York" to me. Brilliant.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:47 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Do continue dreaming NYC has a cheaper COL than FL........

Last edited by Yac; 12-09-2015 at 07:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida