U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:20 PM

2,909 posts, read 10,288,518 times

Advertisements

After 15+ years in South Florida, we moved to Indiana this year and are SO glad we did! We made more than $80K per year yet couldn't afford a nice house (because we refused to take out one of those ridiculous ARMs). Well, let me tell you. Up here you can get a 4 bedroom 2500+ sf house in a good neighborhood for WELL under $200K. Property taxes on such a house are typically under $2000 per year. And homeowner's insurance? Maybe $50 a month. Our auto insurance went down about 60% when we moved, groceries are about 25% cheaper, gas is about 15% less...need I go on? Besides the financial benefits - which are staggering - it's not crowded, the traffic's not horrendous (Glades Rd., anyone?), and people are actually COURTEOUS. And finally, the coup de grace...NO HURRICANES!

If you doubt that the United Van Lines numbers are representative of a trend, check out U-Haul's calculations. It costs 3-5 times more to take a U-Haul van OUT of Florida than it costs to take one INTO Florida. That's proof positive that there are WAY more people moving out than moving in. South Florida -- THE retirement destination of the '50s through the '90s -- is toast. Soon it'll be nothing but the migrant farm workers and the ultra-rich, because the middle-class has been frozen out. Thank God most of the rest of the U.S is still relatively sane!

------------------------------------------

Florida has become so unaffordable that when i am ready to buy a house it will be impossible to get into the market and i live here! In a way, we are forced to move to another state just to afford homes and quality living for upcoming families. We are almost better off looking for big city living (Philadelphia, Chicago, Nyc, Boston, Baltimore) soon.. it almost seems MORE affordible!

we are seeing Floridians moving to Georgia every day. I mean who could be a 5 bedroom 4 bath brick home in the mid 200's range.

We sold a nice house on a lot east of Federal in Pompano and had enough money to buy and remodel a farm house on 122 acres in southeastern KY. It is great! We love the changing seasons--and winter is not too cold! We see deer, turkey, rabbits and so many birds. We have a creek, a branch with waterfalls, mountains and fields. The quality of life is wonderful and the cost of living can't be beat. I paid $2.08 for regular gas this morning. Taxes 1K and groceries are cheaper. We miss our friends and the beach, but that's what vacations are for! Come on up!

-----------------------------------------

My home insurance went from $3500 to $9700 this year. My agent said that it will go up again next year.
My property taxes are $8000 per year.
That's $1500 per MONTH - just for tax & insurance!
I'm fortunate to be able to handle the increases but why should I give my hard earned money to the tax man & insurance agent when I can live somewhere else and spend it on my family?
My wife works for a large public utility and in her office, 6 people have left in the last year for Georgia, SC,& NC. Several more have applied for transfer.
The exodus began a long time ago. I am leaving in 2008.

All those people above and many more that I know(and read about) are leaving. How many people do you know that are leaving Florida? What reasons do they have? I am leaving and I want to take my parents with me, even if I have to pay for them, its worth giving my parents a better quality of living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 09:48 PM

14,729 posts, read 16,481,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need_affordable_home
If you doubt that the United Van Lines numbers are representative of a trend, check out U-Haul's calculations. It costs 3-5 times more to take a U-Haul van OUT of Florida than it costs to take one INTO Florida. That's proof positive that there are WAY more people moving out than moving in.
Ummmm.... wouldn't companies charge you more to take trucks into less desirable markets? Where there's LESS demand?

I did a search, Ft. Lauderdale to Flint, Michigan, one way, March 24, 2007. We KNOW aint nobody moving to Flint Michigan from ANYWHERE let alone Ft. Lauderdale, and the price? $1937 for a 26' truck.

From Flint Michigan to Ft. Lauderdale, same day? $1340.

So are you REALLY trying to tell us that there's a huge exodus of people moving from Florida to Michigan? Or do the people who are moving or want to move simply trying to find justification and self-validation that they have or will have made the right decision by leaving Florida?

I have a hunch a lot of what people are doing on this board is the latter.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:54 PM

Read the other reasons, forget the moving truck comment

Old 01-17-2007, 10:02 PM

Yes yes. And if you look in the other state forums there are people decrying how miserable it is where they live as well. Your point?

Old 01-17-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yes yes. And if you look in the other state forums there are people decrying how miserable it is where they live as well. Your point?

My point is there is no perfect place but they have it better than others. Id love to trade places with many of them. *wipes brow of sweat*

Old 01-17-2007, 10:10 PM

You're suffering from "grass is greener" syndrome.

My family moved from NJ to Florida when I was 7.... before I could remember too much about how miserable it was up there, but going back to visit years later I thanked my lucky stars that they made that decision when I was young!

It's just your OPINION that "Oil City" is a paradise compared to Singer Island, but I know people who would kill to trade positions with you right now. Least of which being the dozens killed in ice storms recently. How many Floridians died in the 4 hurricanes that hit a couple years ago, again?

Old 01-17-2007, 10:19 PM

I do know hurricane Katrina killed thousands in New Orleans. I forgot the death toll for Florida but I know the hurricanes causes billions in damage! I have been thru hurricanes, youll change your tune after you have been in one!

Ill be happy to trade positions, ill take their ice storms, cold and snow, they can have my aligators, serious crime problems, hurricanes, tornados, water moccasins(venomous black snakes that live in swamps and ponds) lots of bugs, snakes, spiders, fire ants, termites, killer bees, endless summers(need a/c 24/7) strong sun(I burn in 5 minutes!) high costs of living, unaffordable houses, increasing taxes and insurance.

They will be shocked at all the things I mentioned, not only that, their 5 bedroom marvelous house they sold wont even be enough to buy a shack here in south Florida!

dangerous water moccasin.

http://www.dannysantangelo.com/images/alligator2.jpg (broken link)
People die from those, it was in the news!

Old 01-17-2007, 10:26 PM

Thousands died in Katrina because their city is below sea level and their levies broke.

I have lived in Florida since 1989 when I was 7. I HAVE been through hurricanes. During the two hurricanes that passed RIGHT through Port St. Lucie a couple years back we had some ripped screens on the back porch and some lost shingles.

I have never had to contend with alligators, and while I HAVE seen moccasins, they exist everywhere, including the nice little summer Mountain lake home my grandfather had in New Jersey.

And as far as housing goes, people put up with smaller houses to live where there's jobs, culture, and entertainment options. It's why you will spend 500K on a studio in Manhattan and 40k for a large house in Dayton, Ohio.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:11 PM

442 posts, read 2,149,416 times
oh so where your moving has no crime? please its everywhere, and althought you might not have a hurricane that knocks out your power, you most likely will have a ice storm that knocks it out ....not to mention the driving in it the north is no better crime is everywhere...
The Prices are so low up north because there is NO WORK up there people getting laid off plants closing, don't worry it will come to a town near you @

Old 01-18-2007, 12:29 AM

45 posts, read 221,207 times
[quote=

We sold a nice house on a lot east of Federal in Pompano and had enough money to buy and remodel a farm house on 122 acres in southeastern KY. It is great! We love the changing seasons--and winter is not too cold! We see deer, turkey, rabbits and so many birds. We have a creek, a branch with waterfalls, mountains and fields. The quality of life is wonderful and the cost of living can't be beat. I paid $2.08 for regular gas this morning. Taxes 1K and groceries are cheaper. We miss our friends and the beach, but that's what vacations are for! Come on up!

[/QUOTE]

I'd rather be on vacation all the time. And whats the temp where you are now? I'm in my shorts and t-shirt. Thier is no perfect place to live. Its all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida