U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 12:29 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,239,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
One of the best things you can do for your insurance premium AND your home, is to get storm shutters for every window. Doing that will drop your premium price like a rock.
Will the hurricane windows have the same impact in reducing the cost of the insurance as storm shutters? That is what I have and I'm pending an update from my insurance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 12:42 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,574,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
One of the best things you can do for your insurance premium AND your home, is to get storm shutters for every window. Doing that will drop your premium price like a rock.
Do you think they would have the same effect for those of us in Orlando? Where did you get your shutters? Are they those ugly plastic things? A couple of homes in my neighborhood have these plastic coverings for their windows..they stay on permanently and are UGLY with a capital U....surely there's something better than those?

Old 07-26-2008, 02:47 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,793,836 times
My parents have had the same policy with State Farm for 38 years without a single claim and they just got a cancellation letter because of their location [canal, home Merritt Island]

Old 07-26-2008, 03:36 PM

6,102 posts, read 13,071,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
My parents have had the same policy with State Farm for 38 years without a single claim and they just got a cancellation letter because of their location [canal, home Merritt Island]
They can write a letter to the State Attorney General's office and try to appeal it. That has worked in Maryland. In my review there seems to be some price reductions from some of the insurance companies, so with their record they could get a few bids, and probably better pricing as well.

Also, if they can get a copy of the flood zone map, it is issued by FEMA, they may find that their property is in an area that is grandfathered. That will help with the review, and it will definitely help get better pricing. FEMA has a great influence over the rates that insurance companies charge. I would work on getting a copy of that map before trying to get new quotes. Also the insurance agents in the area should be able to get a copy of that if pressed.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:26 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,234,635 times
Insurance in Florida is much more complicated than in other states. After the 2004-2005 hurricane seasons most major carriers started dropping coverage in coastal areas, where most people live. I've been dropped and other family members have been dropped.
Big insurance company doesn't mean your in good hands. I lived through the eye-wall of a cat 4 (Charley) and fought with ALLstate for almost 2 years.
Small under capitalized is a risk too. After several years of normal hurricane activity with the higher premiums insurance companies are making profits in Florida so competition is on the increase.
Florida implemented a wind inspection program - My Safe Florida Home
It used to provide free inspections by approved inspectors but with budgets cuts it's no longer free. Mitigating the possibility of damage can decrease the cost of the wind portion of your insurance. The form that your insurance company uses to approve these mitigating steps is found at http://www.mysafefloridahome.com/images/OIR-B1-1802.pdf. Taking step to make your home hurricane safe can pay both in insurance savings and peace of mine.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:34 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,417,886 times
State Farm dumps Florida property insurance customers

State Farm dumps Florida property insurance customers

best hope we dont get any hurricanes this year...

Old 01-27-2009, 08:47 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,660,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Will the hurricane windows have the same impact in reducing the cost of the insurance as storm shutters? That is what I have and I'm pending an update from my insurance...
Impact windows will take a lot longer to recoup.... it honestly depends on your house, but when I was looking for HOI, I was told that if I had shutters my premium would go down near 1000 bucks a year. I'm personally holding out for impact windows though, so I cannot speak from experience as to a "before and after" with the premium yet.

I have a friend who is an agent. She told me that impact windows will not reduce premium as much as shutters, but there would be a discount.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:35 AM

2,903 posts, read 10,921,597 times
My HOI just went down from $1127 to $824 per year because I had the My Safe Florida Homes do a wind inspection.

To me, that still seems high, but it is a 15 year wood frame home with a gable roof instead of a hip roof, in central Florida.

My home in New York is worth twice as much and is twice as big, and my HOI premium is $500 a year.....oh well......

Frank D.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:20 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,660,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
My HOI just went down from $1127 to $824 per year because I had the My Safe Florida Homes do a wind inspection.

To me, that still seems high, but it is a 15 year wood frame home with a gable roof instead of a hip roof, in central Florida.

My home in New York is worth twice as much and is twice as big, and my HOI premium is $500 a year.....oh well......

Frank D.

Lol, I would kill for a $824/year premium!! This is Florida. We can go years without a hurricane, but if a big one hits, the insurance companies who didn't save enough during the "good" years get socked and soaked, so we all have to pay.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,596,498 times
Hmmm....my house insurance HERE in Wisconsin is over $600!! What's up with THAT??
well, at least paying $800. when I get to Florida won't shock me as much I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida