U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 02:54 PM

913 posts, read 2,672,277 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think the impact would be on Tallahassee and the panhandle if I-185 was extended from Columbus down thru Tallahassee and on over to I-75? I imagine that would be a big boost to the Columbus and Tallahassee economies. There have been talks of this project happening. Just curious to see what some Florida residents thought about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 07:09 AM

104 posts, read 104,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
What do you guys think the impact would be on Tallahassee and the panhandle if I-185 was extended from Columbus down thru Tallahassee and on over to I-75? I imagine that would be a big boost to the Columbus and Tallahassee economies. There have been talks of this project happening. Just curious to see what some Florida residents thought about this.
Sadly it is a little late in the game for any extension as the costs would outweigh any gain.
I-185 was basically added for military usage in rapid deployment of troops and vehicles if it became necessary and NOT for Columbus economic development.
Exits are still bare after nearly 30 years with nothing new added.
The only thing the city used 185 for was to welcome spring breakers from all over with drug shakedowns and speed traps until the state stepped in.

Look at 431 to Panama City and count the years it has taken to put a decent road in after hundreds of auto deaths.(and it is still not done)

Old 07-16-2008, 11:37 AM

594 posts, read 3,223,979 times
hey atlcol1 even though im not a florida resident im a columbus resident and i live in the columbus area i think thats a good idea to do that i wish they would do that because that would help columbus out a lot

Old 07-21-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbucket View Post
Sadly it is a little late in the game for any extension as the costs would outweigh any gain.
I-185 was basically added for military usage in rapid deployment of troops and vehicles if it became necessary and NOT for Columbus economic development.
Exits are still bare after nearly 30 years with nothing new added.
The only thing the city used 185 for was to welcome spring breakers from all over with drug shakedowns and speed traps until the state stepped in.

Look at 431 to Panama City and count the years it has taken to put a decent road in after hundreds of auto deaths.(and it is still not done)
I think it is a great idea. It will happen eventually. People are talking about it a lot more these days. Makes total economic sense for Georgia and Florida.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:13 PM

104 posts, read 104,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
I think it is a great idea. It will happen eventually. People are talking about it a lot more these days. Makes total economic sense for Georgia and Florida.
Well I 185 has been around about 30 years without even a mile added.
It would take Alabama 1000 years to come with the money for that even with matching federal funds.
Look how long it took to put a four lane from Columbus to Auburn.
I think people are talking in their sleep dreaming about it. lol

Old 07-21-2008, 06:20 PM

i think this needs to happen because the interstate in columbus caled i185 is a short interstate it only goes down to fort benning so i think they need to make the interstate i185 bigger and longer and make it go all the way down to florida

Old 07-22-2008, 07:45 AM

5 posts, read 5,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbucket View Post
Well I 185 has been around about 30 years without even a mile added.
It would take Alabama 1000 years to come with the money for that even with matching federal funds.
Look how long it took to put a four lane from Columbus to Auburn.
I think people are talking in their sleep dreaming about it. lol

Good post.
I have lived in Columbus for years and have never heard anyone speak of an extension to Florida.
How would travelers get through Ft Benning anyway with security gates and lockdown?
They would have a line down the interstate for miles!!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:00 AM

Columbus currently has an Interstate Spur, I-185, that joins I-85 south of Atlanta in Troup County, GA and terminates in Muscogee County at Fort Benning south of Columbus. There are four reasonable possibilities for Columbus to gain full Interstate access. Only I-14 has been officially proposed. The others have various interest groups promoting them.

I-14 (Deep-South Optimized Transportation System) - This new highway has been proposed in Congress and is undergoing a feasibility study. I-14 has officially been proposed to begin in Augusta, GA and end in Natchez, MS. However additional proposals promote beginning in South Carolina and ending in Texas.

I-185 Extension (Deep-South Optimized Transportation System) - an extension has long been discussed as a highway to Florida. Various interests seek to various termination points. This proposal seeks to extend I-81 from its current termination in Knoxville, TN to a termination point at the Florida gulf coast around Panama City, FL.

I-22 Extension (Deep-South Optimized Transportation System) - a new interstate from Memphis, TN currently terminates north of Birmingham, AL. Business groups seek to extend the highway east to Georgia's sea ports at Brunswick, GA, and possibly a second phase to extend the highway to the midwest, possibly at Kansas City.

I-16 Extension (Deep-South Optimized Transportation System) - The forgotten Interstate. Currently beginning at Savannah, GA and ending at Macon, GA. This interstate has potential to improve west/midwest access to international sea ports at Savannah. As of now, there are no known formal interest groups seeking extension of this highway, though this blog suggests extension to Lubbock, TX.

Benning Bypass (Deep-South Optimized Transportation System) - aka I-222, obviously wouldn't be an I-22 perimeter if I-22 weren't extended through Columbus, but the 222 does have a nice ring to it. If its I-214, or 216 or whatever, is there a need for a bypass highway around Fort Benning. With Benning's limited access since 9/11, there is even less access for Chattachoochee and Marion County for absorbing Columbus' suburban growth, as arguments go. Instead, all growth goes in a sort of lop-sided pattern both north and west and is therefore pushing reasonable commute-time limits. Southern and eastern Interstate highway access might allow the growth to be more readily apportioned in a uniform ring around Columbus. Conversely, some urban planners argue that Interstates, much less perimeters, are the bane of urban revitalization by encouraging suburbs.

And a supplemental poll for I-185 extension. A new group in Albany, along with its chamber of commerce is promoting extending I-185 to Tallahassee.

This is some food for thought. It sounds amazing if this can happen.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citybuilder View Post
Good post.
I have lived in Columbus for years and have never heard anyone speak of an extension to Florida.
How would travelers get through Ft Benning anyway with security gates and lockdown?
They would have a line down the interstate for miles!!
they could build the new interstate going around fortbenning instead they dont have to build it going threw fortbenning because if they can not find a way to build the interstate around fortbenning then they may have to build the new interstate going threw fort benning but they may have to build a huge bridge that goes way up and over the top of fortbenning like the big and high bridges they have in atlanta but if they do big a huge bridge that goes way up in the air and crosses over fortbenning then its going to have to be a huge and long bridge i wonder how much one of them big bridges would cost because that would be great to see in the area

Old 07-22-2008, 01:23 PM

Default this is a example of a huge and long bridge that could cross over fortbenning

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida