U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 03:30 PM

2,517 posts, read 9,890,662 times

Advertisements

My wife may be offered a financial related position with the State of Florida. Right now she works for a private company with a shaky financial outlook and no benefits, no sick days, vacation days, nothing.. zilch. Only good thing is that they pay relatively well.

The State of Florida position says that she may be required to do 30% travel by car in a state issued vehicle. The salary is 10,000 less than what she is making now, but again....the benefits are MUCH MUCH better.

I told her I am concerned due to all the budget cuts. I am assuming they have already made their cuts and wouldn't hire her if they are anticipating more cuts. Am I right with this assumption ?

A couple of questions for anyone that is/has or knows someone that worked for the state. Are all full time state employees covered under FRS (Florida retirement system) ? Also...is there a lot of room for advacement and promotional opportunities working for the state ? Are raises gauranteed every year like Fed jobs or are they performance review raises only ?

Any insight into the pro's and con's of working for the State are greatly appreciated !

Thanks !

Last edited by heydade; 07-11-2008 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 04:02 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,230,815 times
What is the life span of the job?

What is the opportunity for promotions?

Better benefits and currently none with a shaky business.... Will a per-diem be paid for expenses while on the road?

Sounds like opportunity and a chance to a better job is in front of your wife...

But remember if she does not take this job maybe 50 or 60 other individuals will jump in a second...

Old 07-11-2008, 05:38 PM

15,112 posts, read 31,005,993 times
Like sunrico says, if she doesn't take it there will be 100 people AT LEAST who will be in line for the job.

My hubby used to work for the state - yes, she will be covered by the state retirement system, and she can transfer those benefits if she decides to work for county government. It may not be 100% secure, but I guarantee you it will be more secure than the private sector. Right now no one is getting any raises, but state jobs in a normal economy get a raise each year. My hubby used to get 2 raises a year for Hillsborough County, now only one.

Sounds like a good opportunity, JMO.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:29 PM

8,181 posts, read 16,515,470 times
I say go for it...15 years ago I lost my third job to "downsizing" and decided to go with a local government be it city county or state.
I got on with the county, have benefits (not as good as they were then but still better than the private sector) and a pension.
The benefits alone should make up the difference in pay.
The FRS is a good system.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:57 PM

2,517 posts, read 9,890,662 times
thanks guys and gals....I will let u know.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:52 PM

186,938 posts, read 76,728,155 times
Depending on years to retirement, FRS is very good if you can get 30 years in. The drop program is a good thing for career employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or