U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:31 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,022,967 times

Advertisements

Hey Guzzler, what's up with that? We grew up in the same area and now we're both heading for Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 09:31 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,238,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Oh crap. I gotta move to Pensacola. I currently live in Wyoming and love the mountains, and I know that Florida has hills that are 4 or 5 feet tall. I'll miss the snow. But I will get a pay check and be able to put beans and weanies on the table. I'm here to tell you that beans and weanies are important. haha
Just for info: The highest point in Florida is Britton Hill, Lakewood Park in Walton County and is only 345 feet above sea level. Walton County is located in the Florida Panhandle.

Welcome to Pcola....

Old 01-19-2007, 09:37 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,573,746 times
[quote=sunrico90;290555]Just for info: The highest point in Florida is Britton Hill, Lakewood Park in Walton County and is only 345 feet above sea level. Walton County is located in the Florida Panhandle.

A few years ago I joined the Highpointer's Club. Our goal is to hike to the highest point in each state. The funny thing is that I have yet to make it to the highpoint of my own state...hopefully I'll bag it this summer! I should literally be a walk in the park!

Old 01-19-2007, 09:44 PM

We hit both side of the court in this post. Florida can be hell for some and a paradise for others. All depends on your location, financial position and desire to excel in your life.

Can everyone own a home in FLorida? No

Does FLorida provide a yearly income of $50K for every individual? No

Can an individual evaluate their situation and make adjustments to reach their goal? Yes

We blame tha state for everything, but the state is just dirt or swamps. We are the ones that live here or decide to move here, therefore we must take responsability on our actions.

Can you move to Florida? Yes,
Should you have a job before you move? Yes
Or have sufficient monetary resources to cover your expenses? Yes

If your answer is other than yes, don't move, because is going to be hell.

Is Florida better than other states? Yes
Does people leave their states to look for greener pasture in Florida? Yes
Do floridians leave Florida for other states for the same reason? Yes

Florida can be the best place is you plan your actions otherwise you are in for a difficult ride. This apply to any move in the great USA.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:05 PM

[quote=pianogal;290562]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Just for info: The highest point in Florida is Britton Hill, Lakewood Park in Walton County and is only 345 feet above sea level. Walton County is located in the Florida Panhandle.

A few years ago I joined the Highpointer's Club. Our goal is to hike to the highest point in each state. The funny thing is that I have yet to make it to the highpoint of my own state...hopefully I'll bag it this summer! I should literally be a walk in the park!

Follow the link for highest point in each state:http://americasroof.com/highest/ (broken link)

Old 01-19-2007, 10:14 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,573,746 times
Follow the link for highest point in each state:http://americasroof.com/highest/ (broken link)[/quote]

Thanks, Sunrico. Have been reading this for several years. I know I won't make all the high points, I'm too old! LOL But, it is a fun hobby and I have done most of the ones in the South East US. Also love to read the trip reports! Another of my goals is to hike at least part of the Appalachian Trail. I have hiked part of the Bruce Trail in Ontario. It is awesome!

Old 01-19-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Follow the link for highest point in each state:http://americasroof.com/highest/ (broken link)
Thanks, Sunrico. Have been reading this for several years. I know I won't make all the high points, I'm too old! LOL But, it is a fun hobby and I have done most of the ones in the South East US. Also love to read the trip reports! Another of my goals is to hike at least part of the Appalachian Trail. I have hiked part of the Bruce Trail in Ontario. It is awesome![/quote]

Never too old Just continue to reach your goals and be happy...

Old 01-20-2007, 04:49 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,977,689 times
The issues are numerous but to stay on topic, someone mentioned low salaries and high costs of living. No company will give me a proper salary, I asked for $15 an hour on my resume and they hire others willing to work for less than that! $15 an hour wont do me any good anyway except save for a house when I relocate out. I wouldnt stay in FL even if I was rich, I could live a much better life elsewhere with lower costs of living.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
The issues are numerous but to stay on topic, someone mentioned low salaries and high costs of living. No company will give me a proper salary, I asked for $15 an hour on my resume and they hire others willing to work for less than that! $15 an hour wont do me any good anyway except save for a house when I relocate out. I wouldnt stay in FL even if I was rich, I could live a much better life elsewhere with lower costs of living.
Then you must diversify your skills and if you are needing $15.00 an hour might have to work two jobs. Again, not always you are going to get what you want or need in terms of jobs wages. If that was the case, everyone in Florida will be happy like a fat cow.

If your trait is not supported in your area is up to you to make a decision, you either adapt and overcome or relocate. Don't blame the state, city or town if you can't get what you want.

Florida economy is well saturated with manpower, basic factor in life Demand and Supply. Is up to you to ensure that you attain what you want.

One example in our area, we have a team member at work that drives 90 minutes one way to work because of $27.00 per hour job. Have done this for 10 plus years. The area that he lives does not support his trait, get's in the road at 5am and get's home after 6pm. We got to adapt and overcome....

Refresh my memory, what is your trait?

Old 01-20-2007, 06:12 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,395,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Then you must diversify your skills and if you are needing $15.00 an hour might have to work two jobs. Again, not always you are going to get what you want or need in terms of jobs wages. If that was the case, everyone in Florida will be happy like a fat cow.

If your trait is not supported in your area is up to you to make a decision, you either adapt and overcome or relocate. Don't blame the state, city or town if you can't get what you want.

Florida economy is well saturated with manpower, basic factor in life Demand and Supply. Is up to you to ensure that you attain what you want.

One example in our area, we have a team member at work that drives 90 minutes one way to work because of $27.00 per hour job. Have done this for 10 plus years. The area that he lives does not support his trait, get's in the road at 5am and get's home after 6pm. We got to adapt and overcome....

Refresh my memory, what is your trait?
Your friend makes closer to $16.00 if you figure the number of hours a day that are dedicated to the job. As far as I am concerned, until my time is again my own I am still on the clock and that includes travel time. It should be taken into account when figuring what you are actually making. One may discover they are trading their life away for what turns out to be a small paycheck.

Your time can really be squandered if you don't watch out and you can't get it back. You are only allotted so much before they put you in the ground. I had this argument a few years ago with my wife. She would go to the post office every day as part of her business day. From the time she left the house, stood in line, took care of business and returned it was at least an hour. You know what that comes out to? 5 hours a week or 20 hours a month. 1/2 of an entire work week spent going to and standing in line at the post office. Not only that, but she went the worst hours you could go when they were the most busy.

It is always worth doing a time inventory every once and a while when you are in business. You will often be shocked where it all goes and discover why you are always strapped for time, so much is just plain wasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or