Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 03:24 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times

Advertisements

I agree. I would rather have time for fun than spend my life away working 80 hours a week. If this means I cant stay in FL, who cares. If I have to work 80 hours a week, I wont have time for any of the fun things to do in FL so it becomes a moot point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 09:44 AM

70 posts, read 354,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpie View Post
I'm confused too. As a customer service rep, what is she making a year? 28k? 30k? 35k? And how much was her house?

Good condition condos here in the Sarasota, East Manatee, Lakewood Ranch areas start at 180k and go to 220k to 250k. Brand new condos are way overpriced at 275k-300k. Good condition homes in this same area are usually around 200k -250k, and again, brand new homes are overpriced at 250k-350k. Add that to raising three kids, I don't know how she can afford to do it either, but I'm glad Florida has worked out for her.
She is under 30k and she purchased her house for 179k

Old 01-22-2007, 09:52 AM

70 posts, read 354,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
The issues are numerous but to stay on topic, someone mentioned low salaries and high costs of living. No company will give me a proper salary, I asked for $15 an hour on my resume and they hire others willing to work for less than that! $15 an hour wont do me any good anyway except save for a house when I relocate out. I wouldnt stay in FL even if I was rich, I could live a much better life elsewhere with lower costs of living.

Here is a big problem... Every one runs from NY or any other state to FL to live the dream of paradise. Wake up, you still have to work, your still going to have bills and you can't go there as a gas attendent looking for paradise. Get yourself a respectable career and then move. There is no glory anywhere in this great country of ours, we all have to work for the things we want. Florida wouldn't have such a bad rep if people relized that it's a state like everywhere else and you can't go there expecting anything for free! These posts kill me about jobs making 7.00 an hour... what do you expect if you have no trade or prefession. Save up some money and open a business, at least you can do that there cause here in NY you need to have major $$$ to do anything... That's the biggest difference... Of course you going to get paid less, it's called balance or better know as AMR - Adjusted Market Rate.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:53 PM

800 posts, read 3,088,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post

Does FLorida provide a yearly income of $50K for every individual? No

What states provide $50K for every individual?

Old 01-22-2007, 03:30 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
What states provide $50K for every individual?

None of the states provide $50K or anything to anyone. Many people believe that in Florida you can do better and they see $$$$ signs. Now you can reach your desired salary if you have the ability to adapt and adjust to the needs of your area.

First, if you are relocating and don't have a job, chances are that you will have a difficult transition.

If you are at a location that your trait was outsourced or automated you must diversify your skills to reach the salary that you want.

If you are in a area that has plenty of spare individuals to fill low paying jobs, can be difficult to obtain a higher paying job, if you can show and perform at a higher level can be the push that get you a job.

Jobs are available in Florida; the problem is that many individuals are not in a competitive edge with everyone else. The ones that are aware of changes and took the time modernized their skills/trait/knowledge are the ones that companies are willing to pay easily higher wages, relocation allowance, and a housing package. I see this everyday....

Using tools such as networking, attending job fairs, using an HR placing company, and making a proper presentation in your resume and capitalizing your interview gives you a better opportunity to attain a well paying job

If I had to move to Florida today, I will use the tools for landing a job, research the housing market, growth potential of the vicinity, crime stats, education stats, and working with the local HR companies. Evaluate the industry that I’m seeking, see who are the customers, and check cyclical stats. By now I should have a good idea on how to proceed….

Old 01-22-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rperreta View Post
She is under 30k and she purchased her house for 179k
If she took a "fancy" loan, I smell forclosure. The only way that low salary can afford a $179k house is if you have a downpayment of near 100% and have low insurance and property taxes. If I made under $30k being self employed, id be looking at houses in the $20k to $50k range or ill go broke!

Old 01-23-2007, 03:15 AM

168 posts, read 763,002 times
Ladywithafan says: I live where the Tropicana plant is...Bradenton....don't you know when I went in the store this morning they had raised all the Tropicana orange juice at least a dollar per/ 1/2 gallon, gallon...whatever the container size? Our other oranges have gone up 200% overnight...tomatoes went from 1.49/lb to 4.49/lb.....hello?

the fruit/vegetable crop in california was pretty much wiped out by the recent very cold weather - it even snowed in malibu.

the cold destroyed about all of the oranges on the trees; ditto for all the other crops.

there was also something about florida o.j. going up in price right before this california cold freeze happened - i'm not sure what it was, if it was a freeze in florida or wet weather or what, but when i heard that i noticed the oj here in oregon went up a bit.

and then that nasty cold hit california just recently and all the word was oj everywhere would rise in price...really really high.

so, opportunists like the food industry is, they have already rushed to raise the price on all orange juice everywhere.

sort of like the jumps gasoline takes after even a "rumor" that the price of oil is going up.

they can't wait to stick it to the consumer.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:10 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Florigidge - ain't that the truth! (stickin' it to the consumer) Since I live up here in the country on over an acre, I think I am going to go down to the nursery and get me some citrus trees to plant (had them at the old house I sold, but not now) Lemons here are like 2 for a dollar, sometimes more!!! Geez......

Old 01-23-2007, 07:13 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
If she took a "fancy" loan, I smell forclosure. The only way that low salary can afford a $179k house is if you have a downpayment of near 100% and have low insurance and property taxes. If I made under $30k being self employed, id be looking at houses in the $20k to $50k range or ill go broke!
$30,000 a year qualifies you for a $145,000 mortgage.

1st time home buyers get you down payment assistance/closing cost assistance.

Sellers often help with closing costs too.

FYI only

Old 01-23-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
$30,000 a year qualifies you for a $145,000 mortgage.

1st time home buyers get you down payment assistance/closing cost assistance.

Sellers often help with closing costs too.

FYI only

The banks sometimes overqualify you for a mortgage that is higher than you can afford. I know a true story of a couple that qualified for like $300k but they only took out $180k and are still struggling to pay that mortgage. Had they taken out $300k they would of been forclosed in no time! A good rule is not more than 25% your gross income or 3x what you gross annually. I know that when I start making $30k a year being self employed, I would be looking at houses around $50k. I know I wouldnt be able to afford much more than that on $30k a year. Theres a reason why forclosures are skyrocketing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida