U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2007, 09:42 AM

523 posts, read 2,628,476 times

Advertisements

After checking into GA for a friend. I am glad to live in Florida.

GA pays state income tax 6%, Valorm Tax on Car Tag, 200+ Cars must be inspected. State Sales Tax 4%, Property taxes increasing more than 3% this yr. The further I ck the worse it gets.

My friend is moving there to save money haha, and get away from govt control. live in woods.

THey will be back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 09:47 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,013,292 times
Sunshine, I tend to agree with you. While we were doing research on the panhandle, we ventured into southern Ga. a bit. It looks like it has some very beautiful places, but rent is no cheaper there then it is in Fla. Then you have the added expense of the state income tax.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:51 AM

I am shocked to hear about paying taxes on your car. I pay about 45 yr her for tag, there it is 200+ for 3 yr old car, they count your mileage.

It is really cheap where I live in Lakeland still. Homes are reasonable.

But I bet by next yr the cost will go up here.
tampa, sarasota, even new Tampa is high now.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:51 AM

251 posts, read 969,276 times
If you're happy renting, then yes, Florida can be great.

At least where I am, buying a house is not really an option for most middle-classers.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:53 AM

Polk and Hernando Counties you can still get brand new home for 170,000

But in other counties would be 350000

Old 01-19-2007, 10:06 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,013,292 times
Chimpie, we plan on renting at least for the first year. We're middle aged so we've been through the "need to have a house because it's the American dream" phase of our lives. It's something I'm glad we got to experience, but now we'll be looking more towards renting for a while and then buying a small condo in the future. Owning a house isn't exactly cheap any place, but it's just too expensive for us to do that in Florida with the high cost of insurance and the high cost of houses there.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:32 AM

Everyone keeps saying the high cost of Insurance etc. We live in Lakeland
Ours hasnt gone up, we still have reasonable rates, You can build brand new home here for about 1/3 of cost of Sarasota or Tampa. By next yr I am sure things will change when the Secret of Lakeland gets out.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:36 AM

41 posts, read 192,479 times
i think all things even out in the end what you pay for in one area you save in the next all depends .no free lunch anywhere.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:14 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,233,485 times
The more research that we all do we get feedback that Florida is not as bad as we think. Certain parts of the state are out of reach for many due to housing cost, insurance, employment and education.

But we have the northern part of the state that is growing a slower pace and is keeping the cost reasonable. You can get new homes starting at $175K, town homes are showing up all over and some are in the $150K for a reasonable size unit.

Something that is also helping our northern area is that the majority of the families want to be near central Florida. I you travel and watch TV in your hotel room the Florida commercials are from central Florida. Hardly ever you see another area. Again the amount of people relocating to our area is way less than central Florida but is in a prudent manner, does not create crisis.

We have a great state and hopefully the insurance problem will be taken care by the new government. The housing market is saturated and overpriced, many of our local real estate offices are lowering prices weekly and looking very seriously at all offers.

I have travel in Ga and have friends near Macon and Atlanta, the amount of taxes and fees has made my friends to consider moving to the panhandle area. No wonder they call our area “The best kept Secret”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or