U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,696 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
New to forum and looking for some help from you Floridians. Currently the wife and I live in Central PA, near lancaster to be exact and we are looking into moving to Florida. Right now we are thinking Homosassa, Crystal River, Inverness areas. We both work in healthcare and we are not snowbirds...lol. We came down in March and did some diving and nosing around and generally both loved the area. I've come across both some pro's and cons about these areas but was hoping to get a little native input. We are looking to get a small house, preferably with a pool on about an acre. I've checked some relocation sites but they all tout the good points, I'm looking for the real deal info. What are some complaints, I mean aside from the ones we all have no matter where we live. Just looking to make an educated decision as our move is about 2 to 3 years off yet. Thanks a lot for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 04:42 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,329,799 times
I just moved from Inverness back to NH where my family was but i lived there for 7 years. You shouldn't have any problem finding a job in the health field. I too was in the health field and there is a hospital in Inverness and Crystal River and 2 in Ocala about 25 minute drive and 2 in Brooksville another 25 minutes drive and all the doctor offices in between. I enjoyed living in Inverness but wanted to go back to be with my family. I had enough of being alone down there. I actually am trying to sell my home right now. Hubby is still down there. I live across from the street from the lakes in Inverness and it's a nice town overall. low crime and everything you need nearby. Just check on your taxes on whatever you buy and also home insurance because that's a big issue right now all over the state. it can get expensive. We're one of the lucky ones who have reasonable amounts of taxes and home insurance premiums. Good luck on your search.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 10,206 times
I live in Crystal River and really do enjoy it here. Things I miss
1. Art Galleries
2. A place to eat after 10 pm
But the lack of traffic, the rivers, lakes and small town feel make it a great place to live.
I am a Realtor and our property values have dropped (duh)
With 2 new Power palnts being built over the next 7-10 years our local ecomomy will be blessed.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:35 AM

1,775 posts, read 7,329,799 times
gosh i hope so, we're already selling our home for what we owe on it which isn't much coming out with nothing in our pocket just to get my husband up here with me in NH. I pray something comes along. Have had lookers but no buyers.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:32 AM

8 posts, read 15,148 times
There are huge amounts of lakes in this area, but what about beach access, any? closest? Thanks!

Old 05-01-2011, 01:28 PM

749 posts, read 2,090,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaHawk View Post
There are huge amounts of lakes in this area, but what about beach access, any? closest? Thanks!
I live in Hernando,, 4 miles North of Inverness and I would recommend if you want a nice beach go down to Pinellas County Clearwater, Indian Rocks etc., and make a day trip of it. I could be wrong but I have not found a nice sandy white beach in Citrus County.

Now in my town there is Hernando Beach, which is all right but it's not swimming with alligators that bother's me , it's those darn amobeas that can get in your brain through your ear, nose, mouth............it's very rare in FL but does happen.

You can also go to Rainbow River (Marion County), it's a little pricey but a nice place to swim because it's crystal clear spring fed.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:34 PM

749 posts, read 2,090,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisia.bjorklund View Post
I live in Crystal River and really do enjoy it here. Things I miss
1. Art Galleries
2. A place to eat after 10 pm
But the lack of traffic, the rivers, lakes and small town feel make it a great place to live.
I am a Realtor and our property values have dropped (duh)
With 2 new Power palnts being built over the next 7-10 years our local ecomomy will be blessed.
I keep hearing this but as far as I'm concerened it can't happen soon enough, Citrus County needs jobs now. Also , supposedly the economy is going to get better when they extend the parkway, but I guess Sugarmill is trying to hold that up. Anyhow to the OP, if your in healthcare, you should have no problem landing a job here.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:27 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,790,740 times
Homosassa is nice. We live on the Homosassa River in big house. Disney World is only 98 miles away..

Old 05-03-2011, 02:53 PM

34,215 posts, read 41,182,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaHawk View Post
Long drive to any sizeable beaches,(Clearwater and south) theres a small one at the end of Hwy 50 down in Weeki Wachee, its called Pine island and its a lot bigger at low tide...http://v2.cache6.c.bigcache.googleap...rect_counter=2

Last edited by jambo101; 05-03-2011 at 04:06 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 05:45 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,090,091 times
I love HOmosassa. Been going there for close to 65 years. Big changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida