Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 07:59 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,789,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzup3 View Post
but what happens when one comes after i live there?
Exactly. That's the issue when buying a home in FL especially where so many owners are renting out their houses to substandard tenants now. And if you have kids you can only rely on their good judgment and your good parenting because a criminal of any sort will always be working to be one step ahead of you. That applies to teenage criminals who vandalize property all the way up the ladder to murderers. It's what they do, use poor judgment and plan their next exciting escapade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:55 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,819,661 times
Default Mrs1885

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
But is it enforced? I lived in our home for over 2 years and found out that a sexual predator moved into the house that had a driveway at the bus stop.

Fact is there is no place to get away from them. It's a matter of how well local law enforcement tracks them. The ones that are listed and you know where they are aren't your problem. It's the ones that have absconded that you need to worry about, and there is no telling if they live across town, next door, or in the woods in your back yard.
Just curious. If it's against the law for the SO to live near a bus stop did you alert the police about that? What was the response?

I am interested because I think there is a similar situation near me and I'd like to know how to deal with it. I don't have children but there are many who get off the bus next to where SO's live (2).

Old 07-24-2008, 01:20 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,018,681 times
Some areas are worse than others. I believe it is a good thing that this board is here, so that people that don't know the area can interact with some of the people here so they can get a balanced view point. It is true that you cannot possibly be so overly protective of your children that you can't let them experience life for themselves. But, understanding how to protect yourself, and your kids is important, and a key part is being aware of your surroundings / environment, and taking reasonable measures when you're out and about. Those that come on this board, and try to learn, I think get good balanced feed back.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Just curious. If it's against the law for the SO to live near a bus stop did you alert the police about that? What was the response?

I am interested because I think there is a similar situation near me and I'd like to know how to deal with it. I don't have children but there are many who get off the bus next to where SO's live (2).
You will want to contact your township manager for the statute (to make sure you are not misreading anything). There are state laws then there are towns that have enhanced them from what I understand. For example I saw on tv that Port St Lucie is making the "safe zone" wider and don't quote me but I think they said from 1000 feet to 2000 or 2500 feet.

Sometimes these local laws can be appealed and reversed if the appellant court finds that it would virtually ensure that no sO could live anywhere there due to the radius covering the whole area. I saw that in NJ I think Cherry Hill NJ.

The township manager can refer you to the proper department and to the statute number also so you can read it yourself and see if bus stops are included. I'm going to bet not...since buses go everywhere in every town. Up in the North we have several school crossing guards and I don't know if they have that in Florida but if people complain enough I bet you'd see one magically appear lol.

NO WAY would my kid be standing there waiting for any bus every single morning. NEVER. With or without any guard. I'd be demanding a different bus route and driving him to school.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:58 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,354,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post

We didn't report it. The parents took turns in the morning and afternoon sitting with the kids to make sure they were safe.

You'd have to report it to their probation officer, not the SO / PD. And then depending on how backed up they are, how many offenders they are looking for that have absconded, etc., will determine when / if anything gets done. But he obviously reported his address to his PO because it was listed on the state website. And every single street off that road was a bus stop. So they knew.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:34 AM

10 posts, read 52,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Some areas are worse than others. I believe it is a good thing that this board is here, so that people that don't know the area can interact with some of the people here so they can get a balanced view point. It is true that you cannot possibly be so overly protective of your children that you can't let them experience life for themselves. But, understanding how to protect yourself, and your kids is important, and a key part is being aware of your surroundings / environment, and taking reasonable measures when you're out and about. Those that come on this board, and try to learn, I think get good balanced feed back.
I second this. The list is good, but understand its limitations.

The list was a good idea when it was started. But these predators stay on the list. So the list will only get bigger and bigger; therefore it is loosing its effectiveness, because eventually everybody will live close to at least one. So your snapshot today is much better than your snapshot next year (that's the snapshot a potential buyer of your property will make). With current laws, it won't get better until they devise a more realistic way to qualify these criminals.

Find a good community (trust co-workers, NOT real estate agents) and then educate, educate and educate. Yourself and your loved ones.

Jane.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
We didn't report it. The parents took turns in the morning and afternoon sitting with the kids to make sure they were safe.

You'd have to report it to their probation officer, not the SO / PD. And then depending on how backed up they are, how many offenders they are looking for that have absconded, etc., will determine when / if anything gets done. But he obviously reported his address to his PO because it was listed on the state website. And every single street off that road was a bus stop. So they knew.
It really depends on if its against the statute. Which is why I said that bus stops are probably ok, otherwise NO streets would be "safe".

948.30 says:

(b) If the victim was under the age of 18, a prohibition on living within 1,000 feet of a school, day care center, park, playground, or other place where children regularly congregate, [emphasis added] as prescribed by the court. The 1,000-foot distance shall be measured in a straight line from the offender's place of residence to the nearest boundary line of the school, day care center, park, playground, or other place where children congregate. The distance may not be measured by a pedestrian route or automobile route.

SO imo, this means a case would have to be made that a bus stop fits the criteria and I'm sure the state would fight it since that would prohibit a SO from living anywhere.....but I'm sure there is case law somewhere about this if someone wants to pay for a consult with an experienced attorney after contacting the officials.

OR....look up the flyer on the SO at that bus stop perhaps his offense was not against someone under 18...kinda unlikely though since most of them are.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:44 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,981,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I don't like areas that have lots of offendesr either. I've checked cities around the nation and found them every where. One city had a ratio of about 1 for 80 of the rest of it's citizens. Don't remember the place but is was not FL. Then one day it occurred to me does it mean that a low count is of an area that it's just not enforced. One city reviewed here on CD had complaints against it for looking the other way like it's no big deal. That to was not in FL. I was shocked when I saw the list in my city. There's never been an incident with any of them. I think we have nothing but offenders and no predators. Not sure but having there names and mug shots on the sheriff's website seems to keep them at bay once the get out of the state's hilton.
THE STATE OF VERMONT IS notorious for looking over the shoulder. Recently, a judge there gave bail to a predator!!!!!!!!AND he left the state. You have to remember that many of these predators are on public positions themselves hiding their feelings and behaviors, so it is easy for them to turn the cheek to the other side, and the judicial system is no different.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,154 times
TO GEOS from NY-
you wrote:

" Why are people so obsessed with sex offenders? How about murderers? Aren't they worse? Shouldn't there be a list? How about violent felons? How about mentally unstable? Should we tatoo an X on their foreheads?"

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/reputation.php?p=4550607"][+] Rate this post positively[/URL]
[RIGHT][URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4550607"]http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...tons/quote.gif[/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4550607"]http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...iquote_off.gif[/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4550607"]http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...quickreply.gif[/URL]

I'll be happy to tell you why we are 'so obsessed with sex offenders".
BECAUSE THEY ARE REPEAT OFFENDERS
BECAUSE THEY VIOLATE AND PREY ON THE WEAK AND DEFENSELESS
BECAUSE THEY ALSO TORTURE AND THEY KILL AND MUTILATE THEIR VICTIMS!
Put and "X" on their foreheads you say sarcastically?
You are ridiculing concerned parents of potential victims and all potential victims, as well as slapping every single victim of theirs in the face, victimizing them all over again- what's wrong with you?? What planet are you from?
If I were king of the universe, I'd put them to sleep.
Sex Offenders, violent Repeat Offenders,offenders that are a proven danger to society- to adults,children alike.
No violence, no hatred towards them.
Peacefully and lastingly putting them to sleep.
An end.[/RIGHT]
geos[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/geos-21591.html"]View Public Profile[/URL][URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=21591"]Send a direct message to geos[/URL][URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&u=21591"]Find all posts by geos[/URL][URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=buddy&u=21591"]Add geos to Your Contacts[/URL]

Old 08-31-2009, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,154 times
Default Sex Offenders living next door

I'm a single mom with a now 10yr old living in a house in SE Hollywood,FL...My landlord rented the rear cabin to a registered sex offender. Thanks to 'watchdog.us" I found out via email notification.Imprisoned 5yrs for sexual assault, sentenced by a jury of his peers. He told my landlord he's totally innocent. His public record shows that he not only assaulted a " 12yrs amnd above" (whatever that means) but, he also had a 'house of ill repute", was in for "lewd and lascivious", BURGLARY and a ' fugitive from justice ' multiple times and had to be extradicted from NY- at least,that's what he was caught at doing.
This "innocent man" now shares my backyard and my address. His name will forever be linked to mine and it's going to look as if he and I had a relationship of sorts. My little boy can't play outside without me being right there with him. This man keeps trespassing all over my (clearly visibly separated) part of the property, rapping on the windows when he does so and the Hollywood PD officer ridiculed me when I called them, to the point that I was afraid he'd arrest ME.
There MUST be a law that criminals, especially sex offenders and repeat offenders have no permission to live anywhere near children.All that whining abut their 'rights" - they gave those up when they committed their crimes, in my book.Funny how importnat 'rights' are to them when they themselves are concerend. They didn't care about their victim's rights. And those people who say they "paid their debt to society"- have them move in next door to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida