U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2008, 02:00 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 7,948,378 times
Reputation: 1661

Advertisements

I read about these online and love the big orange flowers. It said they grow best in hot dry climates of zones 9-11, so I bought a package of seeds and planted them. Nothing happened. I planted the beginning of May before the rainy season so as to not "over water" them as the package said. I don't know if birds ate the seeds or what happened.

I then tried to buy the live plants, but in two months of searching I cannot find them anywhere locally or online.

Is this the wrong time of year to find these plants? Should I keep trying the seeds instead? If so, is the rainy season a bad time to plant them?

Help! I have no flowers at all in front of my house and it looks dreary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2008, 02:01 PM
 
17,297 posts, read 25,657,528 times
Reputation: 8567
Is it possible ants might have eaten the seeds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2008, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Marion, IN
8,191 posts, read 28,067,763 times
Reputation: 7114
We grew them from seeds year after year when we lived in North Port. We always started them in the little starter pots that you can plant right in the ground. Kept them on the porch until they were a couple of inches before we planted them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2008, 04:16 PM
 
Location: O-Town
1,781 posts, read 6,339,448 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I read about these online and love the big orange flowers. It said they grow best in hot dry climates of zones 9-11, so I bought a package of seeds and planted them. Nothing happened. I planted the beginning of May before the rainy season so as to not "over water" them as the package said. I don't know if birds ate the seeds or what happened.

I then tried to buy the live plants, but in two months of searching I cannot find them anywhere locally or online.

Is this the wrong time of year to find these plants? Should I keep trying the seeds instead? If so, is the rainy season a bad time to plant them?

Help! I have no flowers at all in front of my house and it looks dreary.

You have to get them well before the summer season, you could try planting blackeyed susans a bunch sprang up on the side of my home.

Last edited by Alphaman; 07-18-2008 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2008, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Jax
8,204 posts, read 32,174,576 times
Reputation: 3392
You could try germinating a few of the seeds and then planting those ones if you have some seeds left.

I germinate by either soaking in water overnight or folding the seeds into a damp paper towel inside a plastic bag kept in a warm place for 24 hours (no more or it will go moldy).

Also, how deep did you plant them? The rule of thumb is to plant a seed at a depth equal to twice the thickness of the seed (not very deep), is is possible you planted them too deep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2008, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Jax
8,204 posts, read 32,174,576 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
you have to get them well before the summer season, you could try planting blackeyed susans a bunch srang up on the side of my home.
We simulposted .

Black-eyed susans are a great choice, I'd add blanket flower too - another hardy flower (and native to Florida).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2008, 04:21 PM
 
Location: O-Town
1,781 posts, read 6,339,448 times
Reputation: 489
or you could start them in pots then plant when large and strong enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2008, 06:42 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 7,948,378 times
Reputation: 1661
TRIMT7 was right. I did a little experiment. I planted some seeds in a small pot and put it outside. Within a few hours there were ants crawling up the sides of the pot and into the soil. UGH!

I think I might try planting the seeds in pots indoors and see if they grow. If they do, when they get a few inches maybe then I will try planting outdoors. I have noticed that most of the young flowering plants at the nurseries are not doing too well right now, few flowers and droopy. Perhaps it is not the time of year either for young immature plants. All my neighbors hibiscus are doing just fine, but they are mature plants several years old. I love black eye susans! Didn't think of those. That would be nice also.

Anyway, thank you all for the help.

Just thought of something. The kids at summer school planted grass seeds in little pots two weeks ago. Our class just left them unattended (no water) on the inside window ledge in the sun. The other class put them on the outside window ledge. Our little pots are full of grass. The other class has very few blades of grass and a number of them are brown.

Yes, indoors might the the right choice for this time of season!

Last edited by TANaples; 07-18-2008 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2008, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Niota, TN
851 posts, read 2,134,048 times
Reputation: 471
If they are the same thing I have. YOU DON'T WANT THEM!!!!!!!!! tHEY GROW very FAST and get to be about 15 ft tall. It is very dificult to keep them trimmed unless you want to do it every couple of weeks. They are very fragile. If the wind blows them down, they just start sprouting out of the one laying on the ground. I am digging all of mine up. I thought they were sooo pretty and would make a pretty hedge (NOT) So I had clippings about 2ft long and I stuck about 1ft of it in the ground and watered a couple of times and they took off. Not I have monsters that are taking over my yard. I can't keep up with them. I hope what you are talking about is not the same thing. But I beleive that is what I was told they were. They have big yellowish orange flowers. Kind of looks like a cross between a sunflower and a daisy, whole flower is yellowish orange. Good luck.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I read about these online and love the big orange flowers. It said they grow best in hot dry climates of zones 9-11, so I bought a package of seeds and planted them. Nothing happened. I planted the beginning of May before the rainy season so as to not "over water" them as the package said. I don't know if birds ate the seeds or what happened.

I then tried to buy the live plants, but in two months of searching I cannot find them anywhere locally or online.

Is this the wrong time of year to find these plants? Should I keep trying the seeds instead? If so, is the rainy season a bad time to plant them?

Help! I have no flowers at all in front of my house and it looks dreary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2008, 08:58 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 7,948,378 times
Reputation: 1661
Default Sounds like them

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
If they are the same thing I have. YOU DON'T WANT THEM!!!!!!!!! tHEY GROW very FAST and get to be about 15 ft tall. It is very dificult to keep them trimmed unless you want to do it every couple of weeks. They are very fragile. If the wind blows them down, they just start sprouting out of the one laying on the ground. I am digging all of mine up. I thought they were sooo pretty and would make a pretty hedge (NOT) So I had clippings about 2ft long and I stuck about 1ft of it in the ground and watered a couple of times and they took off. Not I have monsters that are taking over my yard. I can't keep up with them. I hope what you are talking about is not the same thing. But I beleive that is what I was told they were. They have big yellowish orange flowers. Kind of looks like a cross between a sunflower and a daisy, whole flower is yellowish orange. Good luck.
I didn't think they got that big! Well, right I am growing NOTHING. lol

Maybe I might be better off with the Black Eye Susans or even Daisies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:21 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top