U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 05:59 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,505,073 times

Advertisements

We close on the "new house" in Leesburg in about 2 weeks. I have a kind of big orange tree in the property.
I need to learn when you pick them, how long they last, etc. I noticed last week when we were there, they looked like they were turning bad, and a few were on the ground. The home has been vacant for months.

There is A LOT of cutting back that has to be done all around the house.....limbs hanging over the house in spots, overgrown plants touching the house everywhere....

I'm told everything should be at least 12" away, to fight any termites, etc.

Pruning saws, loppers, etc will be going with me when we close.....

Frank D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 06:47 AM

14,602 posts, read 29,438,913 times
faithfulfrank - those oranges need to be picked if you have any good ones left. It's about time for citrus to start blooming. Be sure all the grass and weeds are pulled away from the trunk at the bottom. I'm not an expert on fertilizing, but you can check your local nursery for citrus fertilizer if you want to rejuvenate that tree. Nothing like growing your own!

Old 01-22-2007, 08:50 AM

Thank you.
I was thinking that, but really could not do anything until I OWNED it, even though I probably could have since it was vacant.
We will be there about 2/6, and stay until everything is bought. It is totally empty now, and we have to buy EVERYTHING.......I have two weeks off to do it, and might take every day of that, just to enjoy the living there.....

Frank D.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:24 AM

177 posts, read 618,346 times
Lancaster, Pa- Temperatures in the 20s with a dusting of snow with a slight ice crust from freezing drizzle. Local weatherman said that it may not get to the 20s Friday.
We will be in Fla. next month to buy a place and our home here is on the market. Can't wait to move.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:44 PM

WatsonT3,
Good luck on the move......we visited Lancaster Pa this last summer and loved it. We went antique and quilt hunting, etc.

Frank D.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:13 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,683,222 times
Checked out your photo, Frank. The house looks beautiful.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,033 times
Default I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNYer View Post
Being spoiled by the unseasonably warm winter until recently, the 23 degrees today, with no wind, just slaps you in the face. So all the negative comments, even Floridians complaining about unbearable summers, aren't cutting when it's 80 and beautiful in South Florida today.
I hear everyone that wants to open their windows during the winter in Florida. Go for it! We can't even have the kids play outside, let alone go swimming. So Florida, you beautiful state, I don't want to rush my life but, see ya in seven years!
new to site . We want to go to but can't for 2-5 years. With elderly parents and kids still in high school it seems unrealistic that we could build and go now
but you know if you really want it you will find a way not to wait .

Old 01-22-2007, 02:02 PM

Kimba,
A month ago I'd never think I'd be buying a house now.........
BTW nomore snow, Thanks!

A friend of mine convinced me to take the money out of the equity of my existing house now, and buy now where we wanted to be. Great tax advantages, we can visit a few times a year and write it off, etc.
homes in the zipcode I bought in went up 135% in the past 5 years......

If I wait until then, I may not be able to afford it. I'm usually real skiddish about this type of thing, but so far, I feel very "right" about it. My last son is a senior in H.S., so he will be off to college next fall, making us empty nesters......it feels great we now have a place to go.

Before now, retirement was just some "blob" I was working hard for. Now it has an address......

Frank D.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:01 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,833,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
YOU can have orange and avacado trees there???? Isn't it too cold and the soil too much clay?? I thought the freeze killed those things??

Man if we can do that we're packing.
The winter temperatures do fluctuate from day to day and at time 30 degrees. We don't get too many hard freezes and depends on the area that you plant your orange tree. Ours is on the east side of the lot, protected by the fence and house. In our lot we have sand and dirt, the house sit on clay and so far no complaints.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:26 PM

177 posts, read 618,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
WatsonT3,
Good luck on the move......we visited Lancaster Pa this last summer and loved it. We went antique and quilt hunting, etc.

Frank D.
If you rode the Strasburg Railroad, we may have even spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or