Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 10:09 PM

6 posts, read 19,199 times

Advertisements

I'm a midwesterner lone retiree looking to move more to central or western FL. I've been here since 2006 moving from MI. I'm tired of the crime, political issues and high cost of living here. Not many jobs here, either and I'm finding that I need to find more opportunities to find part-time or full-time work for a few years to boost my retirement account. I'm a business major and retired from a fortune 500 company and would most likely be looking for project/admin. work

I was thinking Sarasota, Orlalndo, Tampa???. I would like to be near a lake or water where I can have a kayak and also be near bike trails. I've heard some good things about the St. Pete Area among the "posts", but don't want to have to commute a real long ways (which would probably be Tampa area). Any suggestions. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 10:52 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
If you are going to be near the best jobs I don't really believe you'll escape crime and expense altogether. Yes you might improve on things but nowhere here is perfect. I googled this and found some kayak links. This maybe of help to you. Good luck.

pinellas kayak - Google Search

Old 07-22-2008, 07:23 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Stay away from the Orlando area, you will encounter the same issues as you do in Palm Beach County.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:48 AM

34 posts, read 28,970 times
I second what Daily journalist stated. Also, not sure it will get much better in Tampa either.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:59 AM

6 posts, read 19,199 times
Thanks much for the comments...I can see I need to so some more research. Will look a little more south to smaller cities, St. Pete, Lakeland, Sarasota, Ft. Myers, etc.??

Old 08-16-2008, 12:10 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
Tallahasee

Old 08-16-2008, 05:09 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Vero Beach IF you can snag the job. It's peaceful, calm, unpretentious and there are no political issues. The city is inclusive of the citizens at meeting and the mayor is cute and always having events. We have long established 55+ condos here right now starting in the 30,000 range since the re crash. Or 450 to rent which is what I'd do. The HOAs are active and the winters are very busy with people socializing. Two of the three of them have golf including the carts you can bop around in. The only issue is hurricane displacement since they are not far from the beach. The city on the barrier island has a beautiful 50 acre park with an art museum, theater etc. Bike trails, AND the beautiful biking along the ocean drive which is safe and nice.

I've seen admin jobs especially in the many medical places around here but all bets are off in this economy. My podiatrist told me he floated a clerical job for 4 days and received over 300 replies. His office is REALLY busy between the seniors and the athletes (me, from walking 4 miles at a time...) as is all medical it seems.

The condos are only two miles or so from the beach and one is right on the Intracoastal. So even if the job isn't the higher salary that you might get elsewhere, the costs can make up for it in the lower rents. That's a big IF though....

We are next to Sebastian with the first Wildlife Refuge in the country and state park with boat access. You can kayak here I'm sure. It's beautiful here and worth going to extra trouble to try and find a job here if you can. For a small city of 17,000 there it has just about everything. There's also boat access from the city park to the ICW but I dont know about kayaking.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:05 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times
I'm pretty sure most of Central Florida to down south has all the same problems. Northern Fla. is probably the best place for you, but I generally hate Fla. anyways.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:11 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndraves View Post
Thanks much for the comments...I can see I need to so some more research. Will look a little more south to smaller cities, St. Pete, Lakeland, Sarasota, Ft. Myers, etc.??
Try Jacksonville, it should be more to your liking.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:04 PM

159 posts, read 456,132 times
Try St. Augustine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida