U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 07:06 AM

14,656 posts, read 29,708,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post
Check out the Gainesville area.

4 hospitals there. lots of job opps.

It does get cold in the winter but almost always cold in the morning and sunny in the day, in the 60s even on a cold day. Cold overcast rainy days are rare. Snow is not a factor either.

It is a university town so crime is high due to the demographics but if you live in some of the small towns outside Gainesville like Alachua or Archer or Micanopy or even in the burbs or rural countryside you avoid almost all of that.
Micanopy is really gorgeous - so many trees, and it has a real cute little downtown to it, too! I love to rewatch the movie "Doc Hollywood" since part of the movie was filmed in Micanopy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 AM

2,945 posts, read 11,939,494 times
Default moving to Fl ....

wacahootaman and other posts are all on the mark. The area around Gainesville is really lovely (Gainesville is in Alachua county). For Florida, it is hilly and the weather, etc. is also very pleasant.

Alachua county does tend to have high property taxes and therefore, I would recommend living in one of the surrounding counties. Remember that Florida does not have a state tax. Prices tend to be much lower than south Florida.

I live in in Broward County (Fort Lauderdale) and have been looking at farmland in other counties and have learned quite a lot about the various counties vis a vis taxes, etc.

Since you are a nurse, employment will be no problem. Jacksonville has Mayo Clinic (among other hospitas), Gainesville - see wacahootaman's post. We have loads of hospitals along the east coast - where I live in Weston, we have Cleveland Clinic. Weston is very kid friendly, good schools, etc., but housings, insurance, and property taxes can leave one gasping.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:01 PM

232 posts, read 800,822 times
gypsychic is tampa area high crime? what areas on the north side around daytona is nice?? family oriented? It seems from here it is a little less pricey on the other side. I Have considered Brandon. A friend of mine's grandmother lived in clearwater and when I was there it was very beautiful but arent many of the residence elderly/retired?? I havent looked at St Pete hum... is that above or below tampa?? I am gonna MLS the area!! LOL

Old 01-23-2007, 03:16 PM

14,656 posts, read 29,708,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedav View Post
gypsychic is tampa area high crime? what areas on the north side around daytona is nice?? family oriented? It seems from here it is a little less pricey on the other side. I Have considered Brandon. A friend of mine's grandmother lived in clearwater and when I was there it was very beautiful but arent many of the residence elderly/retired?? I havent looked at St Pete hum... is that above or below tampa?? I am gonna MLS the area!! LOL
shedav - Tampa has a lot of great things going for it but it is a large city, so does have its share of crime. For safe areas you probably want to be outside the city limits a bit in one of the nice developments, check out "New" Tampa area to the north, Brandon OK but lots of traffic and congestion. NW is nice some folks here can give you better recommendations for actual developments.

St. Pete was once strictly a retirement mecca but has reinvented itself as a nice "hip" city on the water. Lots of BEAUTIFUL beaches here, and a greally great vibrant downtown. I can't recommend specific areas, but there are people on these forums who live there lwho can recommend some nice areas. The nice thing about the Tampa Bay Area is that there is something for everyone, and is definitely more "family-friendly" and geared toward folks who have to work for a living, unlike the wealthy coastal cities south of here.

Re: Daytona - I hear Daytona itself is nice but I DESPISE Daytona Beach - very, very rough vibe there - scary. I do love St. Augustine to the north, but that is a very small town, you would probably have to go towards Jacksonville for job opportunities, etc. I still recommend overall the Tampa Bay area - just more opportunities for jobs and housing and finding your "niche" so to speak.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or