Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:03 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,718,662 times

Advertisements

I was wondering about the prevalence of retirees choosing to continue to work, perhaps on a part time basis. Is this fairly common in Florida? My wife and I plan on retiring to Florida in 4 years' time and I'm not sure I'll be able to just suddenly quit working. I'm not asking about specific jobs or vocations. Just a general query.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 02:24 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,789,535 times
Very prevalent. Tons of older people working everywhere you go. I retired at 55 took a package ...but I'm definitely going to continue to work.

I met a guy at Lowes who puts 5-8 miles a day on his pedometer and is fabulous compared to the young people working there who can't articulate a clear though or even run the stupid register. He said they beg him to work more but he doesn't need to.

I'd suggest start planning a second career now like if you just want a little grocery store job, go get one now part time where you live. They will give as little a 4 hours a week if you want. Experience is always preferred even in the lower paying jobs. Actually bagging for grocery stores here is popular since everyone is slow motioned and you get to stand there and talk to people and not worry about a register, then walk the people out to their cars to help with the groceries for a nice little break from standing there talking ha ha.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:47 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,961 times
The woman downstairs from us at the condo where we used to live is a 78 year old widowed, retired teacher. She still works part time for supplemental income, but also to give her something to do. She has no family in this state. As she told us, "What am I suppposed to do?" "Sit around my condo waiting to die?" She has worked bagging groceries, a cashier in a shoe store, and now is taking care of infirm "elderly", many of whom are younger than she is. Fortunately, she does still have HER health.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:04 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,491,367 times
JimMe,

Despite the doom and gloom that is so prevalent here, I see nothing but opportunity where we bought.
I will have a good pension, but there is so many things I can do down there to keep me in some serious coffee money. The hardest thing is deciding what would be the best option for me. Can't wait!!

Frank D.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:15 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,666,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
JimMe,

Despite the doom and gloom that is so prevalent here, I see nothing but opportunity where we bought.
I will have a good pension, but there is so many things I can do down there to keep me in some serious coffee money. The hardest thing is deciding what would be the best option for me. Can't wait!!

Frank D.
Volunteering might work but if a retired person needs extra income, are there available jobs for them? Seems the unemployment rate is pretty high there right now. In fact, I thought I read recently that it is something like 8% on the Treasure/Space coast. Only so many positions available for a Walmart greeter.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:18 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,491,367 times
Perhaps I should clarify.
I enjoy handyman type work. I enjoy doing electrical, plumbing, painting and drywall work. I enjoy mowing and landscaping. I enjoy roofing, remodeling, etc.
I enjoy working on sprinkler systems. I enjoy using my gas pressure washer. I enjoy tree trimming. I enjoy concrete work.
Years ago I worked in a lumberyard, and designed kitchens and polebarns, etc.

My wife and I designed and built our own house and have owned and maintained good rental property. I am currently pursuing becoming an ASHI certified home inspector.

In Florida I am surrounded by seniors who cannot or prefer not to do this type of stuff. I see them begging for someone they can trust to not rip them off. Someone who does quality work at a fair, honest price. Someone who actually shows up when they say they will. My neighbors have told me horror stories of poor work, expensive work, stories of being ripped off. It just gets me angry.

I can stay pretty busy right in my own neighborhood, I'm sure. I cannot wait to be a full time Floridian. 1074 days to go......

Frank D.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:22 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,185,984 times
Yes, there are jobs for retired people here. I meet them all over the place. Many places prefer hiring them because they tend to be more responsible and dependable than younger people. Sorry, but that's how it is. Just off the top of my head I can mention places I frequent and see many retired people working just because they enjoy it or they need the extra income.

Home Depot/Lowes, etc. - lots of retired men - and they KNOW what they're talking about!

Walmart - the little older lady standing at the door in the garden center has been there for years. She's a real sweetheart.

Really neat older lady who works in the lingerie department of Macy's and another working in career and sportswear, both have been there for years and we know each other on a first name basis!

Most of our substitute teachers at school are retired.

My handyman is retired.

Many of the people who volunteer/work at the Science Center, theatre, etc. are retired

You'll see many retired guys driving around in the security cars at the malls.....

Many retired people also work as school crossing guards and bus drivers

I could go on but you see there are many opportunities for retired people here.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:23 AM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
I agree with both Frank and Pianogal - plenty of opportunities for retirees, and I see them all over the place even here in Lakeland. Besides, despite the current economic conditions, there are still big projects on the drawing boards, for instance here in Polk County there is the new USF campus starting to be built in Lakeland and then the big CSX facility in Winter Haven - these alone will bring thousands of new jobs to the area.

FaithfulFrank - I would say you could end up busier than you ever wanted to be with all your skills!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:13 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,200,597 times
Talking Seniors Are Preferred

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I was wondering about the prevalence of retirees choosing to continue to work, perhaps on a part time basis. Is this fairly common in Florida? My wife and I plan on retiring to Florida in 4 years' time and I'm not sure I'll be able to just suddenly quit working. I'm not asking about specific jobs or vocations. Just a general query.
Most of the larger chains - Lowes - Home Depot - Costco - Etc... all prefer to hire seniors......after all...most of us can complete a sentence without using any form of the "F" bomb or the other favorite "A-hole"...and we even show up when we are supposed to......just imagine that!! For more companies that hire seniors...bring up the AARP site...and research who is hiring seniors...you might be surprised...

If you are handy...you can work 7 days a week...every time I go down to Fort Lauderdale to visit the in-laws...I have a list of projects from the neighbors who want something small done...that they cannot find a contractor who is willing to come over and do it...I guess not enough money in it for them......

Old 07-25-2008, 08:27 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,718,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Very prevalent. Tons of older people working everywhere you go. I retired at 55 took a package ...but I'm definitely going to continue to work.

I met a guy at Lowes who puts 5-8 miles a day on his pedometer and is fabulous compared to the young people working there who can't articulate a clear though or even run the stupid register. He said they beg him to work more but he doesn't need to.

I'd suggest start planning a second career now like if you just want a little grocery store job, go get one now part time where you live. They will give as little a 4 hours a week if you want. Experience is always preferred even in the lower paying jobs. Actually bagging for grocery stores here is popular since everyone is slow motioned and you get to stand there and talk to people and not worry about a register, then walk the people out to their cars to help with the groceries for a nice little break from standing there talking ha ha.
I hadn't thought about the experience factor. Good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida