U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 06:43 PM

8 posts, read 28,657 times

Advertisements

HI!
I have been wanting to go to Florida for a while, just to live there. Really don't know how it is but it's one of those things you want to do before you die. I have a CNC degree which is a pretty active job add all across the country so I would be able to find work easy (I hope....)
Anyways, I have a lot of questions, like how much is average 1 bedroom rent, how hard is it to get a loan, a car, and what would be the best place for a single guy to move too, that's not too expencive, close to a beach, night life, stuff like that... Not too much criminal activity, and what's the racial profile in Florida... Any help is much appreciated.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:06 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,232,767 times
I'd recommend starting with the statistics section of City-Data:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Florida.html

Select a few cities, and start to look at their profiles. Then see what questions remain and start to ask Q's on the subforums to help narrow down your selection to just a couple of cities.

Once you have 2 or 3 cities to consider, fly down and take a closer look.

2 cities that I'd recommend considering are Jacksonville and Tampa. These 2 are still affordable, and have a young population (at least Jax does).

If you have a preference of Gulf or Ocean might help in your city selection process too.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:31 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,217,570 times
As a mom, I'd say find out where those types of jobs are, I'm not sure exactly what that is but it's pretty specific, right? Like some kind of manufacturing? For example in Vero Beach, a great small city, there is a Piper Aircraft facility that just agreed on a new project here. I'm not saying they have CNC, just using that as an example.

THEN you can research the towns around the job places.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:28 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,816,082 times
I would suggest doing some research on Tampa, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, and Jacksonville. Once you figure out what part of the state you want to move to, then we can give you a better answer. I can say this that Tampa and Jacksonville will overall be cheaper than South Florida (Palm Beach south to Miami).

Old 07-25-2008, 05:33 PM

8 posts, read 28,657 times
Well that sure helps! I did not have a clue about the pricing (even though it is common sence that Miami and the southern Florida would be more expencive) and that sure did broaden my approach. I was doing some research of Jacksonville FL, I see it is not exactly located on the ocean, but near by, but there is also some kind of a canal or something that is connected by bridges in downtown Jacksonville.

And yes runswithscissors, I guess it is a pretty specific occupation to a preoccupied mom Just kidding!!!
Either way I went to Monster.com and only found one local job listing, but then again I only found 5 for Cleveland and this is a big industrial town. So I am not even sure if that's something to go by, but as you say, finding a job is a must expecially at start, so that is something I will have to look into a little deeper...
But hey, at least now I have some vision as to where in Florida I want to go.....
And by the way, how far is downtown Jacksonville from the ocean?
Thank you for you answers...

Old 07-25-2008, 08:27 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,232,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmilenium87 View Post
Well that sure helps! I did not have a clue about the pricing (even though it is common sence that Miami and the southern Florida would be more expencive) and that sure did broaden my approach. I was doing some research of Jacksonville FL, I see it is not exactly located on the ocean, but near by, but there is also some kind of a canal or something that is connected by bridges in downtown Jacksonville.

And yes runswithscissors, I guess it is a pretty specific occupation to a preoccupied mom Just kidding!!!
Either way I went to Monster.com and only found one local job listing, but then again I only found 5 for Cleveland and this is a big industrial town. So I am not even sure if that's something to go by, but as you say, finding a job is a must expecially at start, so that is something I will have to look into a little deeper...
But hey, at least now I have some vision as to where in Florida I want to go.....
And by the way, how far is downtown Jacksonville from the ocean?
Thank you for you answers...
The Saint John's River divides Jacksonville into 3 major regions: Northside, Southside and Westside (there is no "Eastside").

The vast majority of Jacksonville's residents live in the Southside region - this is the densest area.

The Southside region is huge with a ton of neighborhoods to choose from and it also houses a good chunk of Jacksonville's job locations.

Even in the most western far reaches of the Southside, you'd be no more than 25-30 minutes to the beach. There are many popular areas of the Southside, such as an area called "Intracoastal West", where you can be 10-15 minutes to the beach and still be in a very affordable area and still have a great commute to work.

Remember, Jacksonville is 840 square miles - it is enormous - so the downtown section of Jacksonville is set in a bit from the ocean, but Jacksonville runs all the way to the water .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or