U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:56 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,242,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
I was just told (3 weeks ago) that there were no more free inspections this year, that the money ran out. That means people will be put on a waiting list for 2009.

We had the inspection done anyway for $125 thru an inspector certified by the state, got their name from our State Farm agent. They came out within days to do it.

We had the (free) inspection done on our previous house and saved over $800 (Naples) so we thought it would be worth paying for it. Haven't heard yet from the insurance agency yet on what our refund will be this time.
Excellent advise, contact your insurance agent...+++
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 04:57 PM

170 posts, read 625,922 times
Quote:
I was just told (3 weeks ago) that there were no more free inspections this year, that the money ran out. That means people will be put on a waiting list for 2009.

We had the inspection done anyway for $125 thru an inspector certified by the state, got their name from our State Farm agent. They came out within days to do it.

We had the (free) inspection done on our previous house and saved over $800 (Naples) so we thought it would be worth paying for it. Haven't heard yet from the insurance agency yet on what our refund will be this time.
When we sell our home in Washington State, we plan to relocate to Florida. We have been with State Farm for 43 years. If you have a good agent, would you give me your agent's name, location, and phone number?

My husband called a State Farm agent in Orlando and was told that hurricane insurance is so high that people are moving out of Florida. However, postings here indicate from $1,000 to $1,400/yr.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

iuki

Old 08-04-2008, 05:24 PM

374 posts, read 1,494,511 times
I got the Wind Inspection right before the $$$ ran out. Got Lucky for a change!!! The inspector came out within a week. State Farm required pictures to be submitted with the paperwork...Saving $600.00

Old 08-05-2008, 10:56 AM

7,486 posts, read 19,896,737 times
I think the funding has ran out. Here's what it says up on mysafeflroidahome.com:

The My Safe Florida Home program has exceeded the Legislature’s goals of awarding 35,000 grants and providing more than 400,000 free wind inspections to eligible homeowners. Although we are no longer accepting applications, we are continuing to serve homeowners previously enrolled in the program.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I would think it would be worth it even if you had to pay out of pocket. I hear it was like $150-$200. Another thing that my insurance agent explained to me was that since my home is newer right now, as the home starts aging and the insurance goes up these credit from the wind inspection will keep the insurance low.

Just because they are no longer providing them for free doesn't mean that you can't to have one done.

Wheels1978-you just go on the website and fill out the form and then someone will call you. You could also contact one of your local home inspectors and see if they are certified to do inspections for the mysafefloridahomes.com. Good luck

Old 08-06-2008, 02:55 PM

85 posts, read 207,275 times
Thank you for the information, I totally intend to check into it. I would like to make sure that my home is as safe as possible.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:03 PM

I have the folks at the office calling insurance companies and what they are finding out: The premiums are getting more affordable. http://bestsmileys.com/happy/5.gif (broken link) One friend saved $1,200 by using Progressive.COM Here is the eye opener: no hurricane inspection They are calling around to get a certified inspector to do the inspection and maybe they get another discount....

She also did a automobile insurance quote and saved a bundle.

St John Insurance is another one that is providing very affordable insurance.

Take time and do research your options, because is your money and you don't need to give it away.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:03 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,924,521 times
I am having this done when I'm back down there in October right after the new roof gets installed......

Frank D.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:12 PM

Received a letter from MY Safe Florida Home, my house rating was a 68. They recommend a roof deck attachment, door protection and 2ndary water barrier. The cost is estimated @ $9K to increase my rating to 87.

So far everything looks good and the money paid for the windows did help. Next year I'll set some money to accomplish one of the recommendations or maybe replace the garage door for a hurricane rated one.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:23 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,344,938 times
Default follow-up with new HO insurance savings

Quote:

......Haven't heard yet from the insurance agency yet on what our refund will be this time.
We got the refund check from Citizens for $942 so EVERYBODY who has shutters should have the inspection done. We do not have the best roof (hip roof is best) so we didn't get the max refund.
That was $125 well spent because our policy is now lowered every year (until they pass an increase of course).

Old 08-28-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
We got the refund check from Citizens for $942 so EVERYBODY who has shutters should have the inspection done. We do not have the best roof (hip roof is best) so we didn't get the max refund.
That was $125 well spent because our policy is now lowered every year (until they pass an increase of course).
Congratulations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida