U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2007, 11:14 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,797,148 times

Advertisements

LOL you are going to have one massive a/c bill during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 11:15 PM

155 posts, read 211,623 times
Default True.. hehe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Remember that the cold has many associated problems too: runny noses, dry, raw throats; frostbite; being snowed in; terrible road conditions; ice; having to heat the car before going to work; having to scrape the car; having to deal with feeling FRIGID coming out of the shower...

...I'm just saying. Cold and heat both have pros and minuses. At LEAST, if nothing else, in the heat, you don't have to bundle out and can just step right outside. Just trying to be positive! Cold has a more immediate bite than heat. Heat at least takes a few minutes to really bug you, whereas cold is instantly uncomfortable.
Believe me, I know some of the cold pain in the butt issues. One of my least fav is the runny nose. But you know what, in CO, it is soooooo dry in the wintertime, it doesn't happen as often. Mostly what I do is spray saline spray and I feel fine.

Because we have garages and can afford nice nice homes for under $180k, the car issues don't usually apply. We even plan on adding insulation to our garage, so we can heat it and then keep it at a lovely 50 degrees or so, even when it's 20 outside.

You know, one of the things I hate about the FL heat is getting sweaty!! I cannot stand being sweaty even when I wear shorts at night!! Yuck!!

The other issue with heat vs cold is that in the cold, you put pants, shoes, and a nice jacket ($50 at JC Penny's) and you feel fine. In the heat, there is just so many clothes I can remove before the cops get called or someone calls "Girls Gone Wild"!!! Hehe he Plus you take all that out and your still hot!!!

I appreciate you trying to think positive. I try to as well. But the heat is a major downside in FL, I am amazed more people don't learn about it until they move down. I am glad to be moving away from Orlando, I cannot wait to freeze for a few months and enjoy the GLORIOUS weather out there the rest of the year. The weather in CO is sooooo crazy, one day can be 20 degrees and the next day be 60 and sunny. Plus, when I was there last February, it was 40 degrees and dry!! It felt like 70 degrees out in the sun (and the sun is out almost everyday, it gets old to see the sun everyday sometimes)!

Do you see the pic and the white stuff back there? It's SNOW! Do any of the gals seem cold? They have a sweat jacket one and that's it. The temp outside.... 33!! See how the sun works out west? A 40 degree in Indiana will be hell, as it's humid, but 40 in CO is like 70 degrees.

http://www.coloradorunnermag.com/images/other/EditorFern_04162005_1.JPG (broken link)

Ok, you can admit now. That winter doesn't seem so bad, does it??

Oh and the snow melts in 1 - 2 days, it's not like the Midwest or New England. Last time I shoveled snow was when I was a little kid, years ago! It mets the next day and it feels great!!

Last edited by MaryLou2007; 01-30-2007 at 11:24 PM..

Old 01-31-2007, 01:18 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,797,148 times
Wow thats neat! I would love to go outside and play in the snow in a tshirt and shorts and not be cold because it feels like 70! Maybe Kansas would be a good place(Colorado isnt exactly cheap) what kind of problems does the dry air cause? Which state has good weather and is affordable?

Old 01-31-2007, 04:11 AM

669 posts, read 2,905,027 times
I don't want to be offensive NAH but Kansas is not the best place for you IMO. You're a mobile-home type person and I don't think tornadoes are particularly mobile friendly, despite what you read (remember: people write that good stuff about mobiles to lure you in!)...

I personally would be too afraid of tornadoes to live right smack in the middle of Kansas, but if you're not afraid, it's definetly one of the less expensive states. However, just spring for Colorado. You keep settlign for less. You basically said "I really want Colorado, but Kansas is like the cheap version of Colorado".

No, Kansas does not have mountains or anything. Things are much different there. Humidity is higher. It's also very windy so I imagine winters being uncomfortable.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:41 AM

14,658 posts, read 29,721,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLou2007 View Post
Believe me, I know some of the cold pain in the butt issues. One of my least fav is the runny nose. But you know what, in CO, it is soooooo dry in the wintertime, it doesn't happen as often. Mostly what I do is spray saline spray and I feel fine.

Because we have garages and can afford nice nice homes for under $180k, the car issues don't usually apply. We even plan on adding insulation to our garage, so we can heat it and then keep it at a lovely 50 degrees or so, even when it's 20 outside.

You know, one of the things I hate about the FL heat is getting sweaty!! I cannot stand being sweaty even when I wear shorts at night!! Yuck!!

The other issue with heat vs cold is that in the cold, you put pants, shoes, and a nice jacket ($50 at JC Penny's) and you feel fine. In the heat, there is just so many clothes I can remove before the cops get called or someone calls "Girls Gone Wild"!!! Hehe he Plus you take all that out and your still hot!!!

I appreciate you trying to think positive. I try to as well. But the heat is a major downside in FL, I am amazed more people don't learn about it until they move down. I am glad to be moving away from Orlando, I cannot wait to freeze for a few months and enjoy the GLORIOUS weather out there the rest of the year. The weather in CO is sooooo crazy, one day can be 20 degrees and the next day be 60 and sunny. Plus, when I was there last February, it was 40 degrees and dry!! It felt like 70 degrees out in the sun (and the sun is out almost everyday, it gets old to see the sun everyday sometimes)!

Do you see the pic and the white stuff back there? It's SNOW! Do any of the gals seem cold? They have a sweat jacket one and that's it. The temp outside.... 33!! See how the sun works out west? A 40 degree in Indiana will be hell, as it's humid, but 40 in CO is like 70 degrees.

http://www.coloradorunnermag.com/images/other/EditorFern_04162005_1.JPG (broken link)

Ok, you can admit now. That winter doesn't seem so bad, does it??

Oh and the snow melts in 1 - 2 days, it's not like the Midwest or New England. Last time I shoveled snow was when I was a little kid, years ago! It mets the next day and it feels great!!
MaryLou - I have a second home in Asheville, NC, which is also a mountain town like Denver, although not as high an altitude. The altitude also affects humidity - it is always lower. NC has humidity, but less than Florida, and a LOT less the higher you go. I, too, am more comfortable in Asheville in both summer AND winter due to the lower humidity. I always say that I never feel as cold or as hot as the weather reports say when I'm there, it is just a really comfortable climate for almost all year.

The humidity in Florida is super high because we are surrounded by water and are almost at sea level. We feel colder when it's cold and hotter when it's hot. Last year (2006) to me felt like a much milder year overall, because I think it was drier than normal. On the years when we get a lot of rain and storms it is miserable. Today is a really beautiful day in my little Florida town, dry and sunny and in the 60's - just perfect. If only this weather would last longer!

Old 01-31-2007, 12:14 PM

5,643 posts, read 13,606,229 times
Default some clarifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
No, Kansas does not have mountains or anything. Things are much different there. Humidity is higher. It's also very windy so I imagine winters being uncomfortable.
No, Kansas has no mountains, but neither does CO east of Denver (a big chunk of the state). In fact the western half of Kansas is identical to Eastern CO topographically. And humidity? KC maybe, but the area of KS beyond 100 degrees longitude (about the western 1/3 of the state) is arid.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:49 PM

669 posts, read 2,905,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
No, Kansas has no mountains, but neither does CO east of Denver (a big chunk of the state). In fact the western half of Kansas is identical to Eastern CO topographically. And humidity? KC maybe, but the area of KS beyond 100 degrees longitude (about the western 1/3 of the state) is arid.
Thanks for correcting me Ben. The point is, though, he dismissed Colorado for prices and eventually decided on Kansas in this thread simply because it's right next door. I just wanted to tell him the reality.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:54 PM

Mary Lou, you are so right about the sun and the snow in CO. My first experience with this was one winter when I visited Boulder for the first time. The last afternoon of my visit, the skies opened and about a foot of snow fell in a matter of a few hours. I thought (being used to NE and Midwest snowfalls) that I'd be stranded the next day. But I got up the next morning and the sun was shining brightly and the snow was melting quickly from the streets. It didn't affect travel at all, and people were walking around in jeans and down vests, it felt so warm.

Thos of you who are Easterners who think the only choices are "up north" and Florida should travel out West. You'll find a whole 'nother climate out there. No piles of week-old black, crusted snow lining the streets in the winter like the NE, and no smothering, humid summers, like FL.

The term "Sunshine State" is really not appropriate for Florida (in fact, it's the official nickname of South Dakota!). Sunshine is not the same as heat, and heat is not the same as humidity, as FL chambers of commerce would have you believe. Miami has an average of 74 sunny days per year, Denver has 115. Even Minneapolis/St. Paul, my current home, beats Miami at 95.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:00 PM

PS: My brother-in-law and his family live in Pueblo, CO. The first time I went to his house was in the summer. He had his "swamp cooler" turned on, which I had never even heard of, let alone seen. Basically, it's a device that actually puts humidity into the air!! Having lived my life in the NE, south FL and the midwest, I just couldn't imagine purposely putting humidity into the air in the summertime! Easterners, if you don't like the North or you don't like Florida, get out there and check all this Western stuff out! You might just like it there!

Old 01-31-2007, 02:59 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,919,574 times
Lightbulb What the heck is a swamp cooler

We had swamp coolers at Patrick AFB @ Satellite Beach back in the early 80's, they work fine for cooling a home.

A swamp cooler (more formally called an evaporative cooler) is essentially a large box-like frame containing a big fan and walled in by water-wetted pads, usually made of cedar shavings or cellulose. The fan whooshes the hot outside air through the dripping pads (which are continually soaked by a water pump), cooling the air by about 20 F as the air evaporates water molecules from the pads. The fan then blows the water-cooled air through the house and out a deliberate vent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or