U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Out West
19,571 posts, read 14,732,762 times
Reputation: 23194

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I have a good point when I make that challenge. I use the a/c all year round, just turned it on now, its 84 in my room, opening the windows lowers it to 82, still too hot! In my opinion, I dont think the weather is good, its too hot and I can not live without a/c! To those who say they love the heat so much and the weather is world class, I challenge you to go a week in the summer without a/c! If you can not do this then you have admitted its too hot and you need a/c to cool down!
I know this OP is old but I went for four summers in Miami, FL without a/c for 10 hours a day. I worked outside.

Trust me, the weather is NOT NICE when you have to work outside and there is. no. relief because where you work has no a/c to escape to even for 5 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 PM
 
5,254 posts, read 2,983,561 times
Reputation: 6139
My final post on this which may be kinda off topic a bit, but there IS a difference in where you live in Florida, and what time of the year it is. While in the SUMMERS, there may not be much of a difference in temperatures, there is a difference in HUMIDITY levels. The Gulf Coast is far more HUMIID than the Atlantic Coast, and less breezy. In WINTER, the farther north you go in Florida the cooler it gets. There IS a major differnce in temps between South Florida and North Florida in December and January. We have driven from south to north on the same day, and it has been 20 degrees cooler, 5 hours later in Jacksonville than in Naples.

So when you say "I open my windows", WHERE do you live in Florida? Apart from individual preferences, where you LIVE in Florida can make a major difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 12,370,038 times
Reputation: 5996
And where up north do you get relief because where you work (outside) has no heat to escape the freezing temperatures for even 5 minutes?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I know this OP is old but I went for four summers in Miami, FL without a/c for 10 hours a day. I worked outside.

Trust me, the weather is NOT NICE when you have to work outside and there is. no. relief because where you work has no a/c to escape to even for 5 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 12,370,038 times
Reputation: 5996
Gee, thanks for the lesson in what we all already knew.
Perhaps you figured it out too late. The state is about 400 miles long.
Tell me what state where going 400 miles south isnt going to make a difference in the weather.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My final post on this which may be kinda off topic a bit, but there IS a difference in where you live in Florida, and what time of the year it is. While in the SUMMERS, there may not be much of a difference in temperatures, there is a difference in HUMIDITY levels. The Gulf Coast is far more HUMIID than the Atlantic Coast, and less breezy. In WINTER, the farther north you go in Florida the cooler it gets. There IS a major differnce in temps between South Florida and North Florida in December and January. We have driven from south to north on the same day, and it has been 20 degrees cooler, 5 hours later in Jacksonville than in Naples.

So when you say "I open my windows", WHERE do you live in Florida? Apart from individual preferences, where you LIVE in Florida can make a major difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:29 AM
 
Location: Tampa
2,602 posts, read 6,863,748 times
Reputation: 1514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I CAN live without heat in the 50s and 60s, even though some people would be freezing even with those temps.
I can live without air conditioning--no problem--but I can't live without heat. Tampa gets too cold in January and February.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
22,498 posts, read 45,374,146 times
Reputation: 13206
For the thousandth time, it is the dew point and not the humidity that makes it bearable or not. You can have the same temp and humidity in Naples as you do in Jersey but the dew point tells the tale every time. And yes, the dew point is often much higher in Naples than it is in say, Jacksonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 12,370,038 times
Reputation: 5996
OK, dew point. However, wouldn't the perception of what is bearable or not dependent on the person who is experiencing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
22,498 posts, read 45,374,146 times
Reputation: 13206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
OK, dew point. However, wouldn't the perception of what is bearable or not dependent on the person who is experiencing it?
Did I say it didn't?

In fact, that's my point. People need to pay attention to the dew point.

Jo was talking humidity levels a few posts back. You can have the same humidity and temperature in Naples, Jacksonville and Peoria, Illinois. It will feel different, though, depending on dew point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 08:02 PM
 
780 posts, read 1,394,089 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Did I say it didn't?

In fact, that's my point. People need to pay attention to the dew point.

Jo was talking humidity levels a few posts back. You can have the same humidity and temperature in Naples, Jacksonville and Peoria, Illinois. It will feel different, though, depending on dew point.
Did anyone notice the cold front and that dry air that came through last night? Finally get to ditch the A/C for a couple of months. If lucky this might keep up well into March. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
3,302 posts, read 5,525,867 times
Reputation: 4987
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Did anyone notice the cold front and that dry air that came through last night? Finally get to ditch the A/C for a couple of months. If lucky this might keep up well into March. .
I dunno we currently just just cranked on the A/C my daughters monitor for her room warns me if it gets too warm or too cold and it went off at a toast 79 degrees with all the windows open tonight. I found it still on the warm side today I thought this cool front would be more significant and seems as if temps will be closer to the 80's again come this weekend. Plus we've got some pretty significant red tide bloom off our coast right now I've been sporting a sore throat for at least a week talked to a few people who complained of coughing/itchy throats. ahh paradise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top