Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times

Advertisements

To OP: move back...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 08:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
To OP: move back...
OP was written almost five years ago. Poster hasn't been on the forum in almost as long. More importantly, the poster is a Florida native.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:03 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
I see a few posts back "I" was called a liar..or would have been had I posted the truth.
We came down the 1st of October
There were 2 days last month we turned the AC on for 3 midday hours (yes, of course, the humidity)It was only 81 according to the thermostat.
Two days later it read 85 and we were perfectly comfortable with a nice breeze coming in the doors/windows.
A friend here has a next door neighbor that closely watches her house.
She leaves a couple of windows open for a cross breeze and hasn't left the AC on when she leaves for the summer in 5 years. No mold.
There are few absolutes in the world.
Your mileage may vary

Old 08-03-2013, 06:06 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,820,528 times
Florida summers feel REALLY good. It is winter in the North, that is horrible. Think about all the challenges:
Ice on windshields
Snow tires
Snow driving
Winter clothing
No biking, jogging, etc
Feeling SO cold
Giant heating bills
No color outside, everything is white/gray/brown (I like BRIGHT colors)
Icy sidewalks

But as I like to say, the punishment of winter is only temporary!

I think I could live a Florida summer with no A/C! It'd be EASY!!!!!

Old 08-03-2013, 08:53 AM

652 posts, read 1,652,440 times
I keep my AC at 77. I don't get a lot of direct sunlight where I am right now, so it doesn't get too hot. On the hottest days I have to lower it a degree or two. My AC has a thermostat so it turns itself off when the room reaches the right temperature and then turns back on when needed.

Having a ceiling fan helps a lot too. The one in my bedroom runs 24/7.

You can't be without AC anywhere that it's 90 or above. Even in the northeast they use AC in the summer.

AC is a lot cheaper to run than the heating people need in the cold areas. Heating a home can easily cost $400 or more a month. And while you don't need AC you do need heat or the water pipes can freeze and burst.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:59 AM

652 posts, read 1,652,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetan View Post
Florida summers feel REALLY good. It is winter in the North, that is horrible. Think about all the challenges:
Ice on windshields
Snow tires
Snow driving
Winter clothing
No biking, jogging, etc
Feeling SO cold
Giant heating bills
No color outside, everything is white/gray/brown (I like BRIGHT colors)
Icy sidewalks

But as I like to say, the punishment of winter is only temporary!

I think I could live a Florida summer with no A/C! It'd be EASY!!!!!
I agree, I hate an area with a cold winter and I lived in one most of my life. If you get a huge snow storm you may be stranded at home for days. It the city plows can't get thru neither can you. It's a lot of backbreaking work to dig thousands of pounds of snow off and around a car and then the plow comes by and fills it back up.

Driving with icy roads is dangerous too. Many people don't know that if you are stuck in the snow that the harder you press on the gas the more spinning it will do, you have to press lightly and turn the wheels to get out.

I also hate when the tree lose their leaves, everything looks dead.

I'll take the heat over the cold and snow anytime. I'd rather take out the trash in shorts in January than live in an area where I have to put on pants, boots, a jacket and a coat to do it.

I also hate sitting in a cold car waiting for it to warm up more than getting into a hot one. Then you are all bundled and turn the heat on and it gets too hot, turn it off and it gets too cold.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:07 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,466 times
your challenge is my routine. my grandfather is 93 and wears at least 3 sweaters wherever we go regardless of how hot it is.so as you can imagine staying at his house the a/c doesn't get used much. the average temp inside our house during the day in summer is 82f(27-28c) however at night for safety reasons we do turn on the air but it's set at 77f(25c). but to be honest i've gotten used to it so 80-82f inside is okay.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:44 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
your challenge is my routine. my grandfather is 93 and wears at least 3 sweaters wherever we go regardless of how hot it is.so as you can imagine staying at his house the a/c doesn't get used much. the average temp inside our house during the day in summer is 82f(27-28c) however at night for safety reasons we do turn on the air but it's set at 77f(25c). but to be honest i've gotten used to it so 80-82f inside is okay.
Yep, 82 is fine for me, it's what I keep my AC set at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida