Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2007, 12:28 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,492,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
The USAF base is located in Satellite Beach and all the south housing had swamp coolers, maybe was less expensive for the USAF, don't know why. Our house was next to A1A, maybe 30 yards from the Atlantic Ocean...
Sunrico--I wonder if that's one of those famous gaffs my friends who were in the military told me about, like when they ship down parkas to bases in the tropics, etc. Maybe some base in Alaska got air conditioners that were supposed to have been shipped to Patrick AFB, and Patrick got swamp coolers that were supposed to go to the desert!

"Our house was next to A1A, maybe 30 yards from the Atlantic Ocean... :cool" Way cool! I'd like to own a piece of that house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 07:43 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,775,447 times
"But Florida still gets its fare share of sun. Key West sees sun an average 76% of its available daylight hours — the most in the state — followed by Miami with 70%.

Those cities still trail Yuma, which sees 90% sun; Redding, Calif., 88%; and Reno, 85%.

No need to get glum though — South Florida is consistently warmer than anywhere else in the continental United States, weather officials said.

Over the course of a year, Key West has a mean temperature of 78.1 degrees, Miami, 76.7 and West Palm Beach, 75.3."

From USA Today

You are probably refering to 100% sunny days!
I'm talking about TOTAL actual annual sunshine! We get LOTS!!!
And yeah I love FL! What's wrong with that?!

Old 02-01-2007, 10:15 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,651,377 times
The odd thing is how good I was feeling earlier in the week, but now it's hot again, I am feeling depressed and a bit angry. To have to use fans in the winter is just horrible. We're getting cheated out of the best weather of the year, and in two months the unrelenting heat will begin, to be continuous till November. Just hope this brings an exciting hurricane season.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:21 PM

381 posts, read 1,680,149 times
Quote:
elfyum

"But Florida still gets its fare share of sun. Key West sees sun an average 76% of its available daylight hours — the most in the state — followed by Miami with 70%.

Those cities still trail Yuma, which sees 90% sun; Redding, Calif., 88%; and Reno, 85%.

No need to get glum though — South Florida is consistently warmer than anywhere else in the continental United States, weather officials said.

Over the course of a year, Key West has a mean temperature of 78.1 degrees, Miami, 76.7 and West Palm Beach, 75.3."

From USA Today

You are probably refering to 100% sunny days!
I'm talking about TOTAL actual annual sunshine! We get LOTS!!!
And yeah I love FL! What's wrong with that?!
That's very interesting. I'm a little confused, though. How is it that Yuma, AZ has 90% sunshine, but averages only 300 days of annual sunshine, whereas St. Petersburg, FL has about 66% sunshine, but averages 361 days of sushine. Is it the amount of sunshine in each day or year that's being recorded?

Old 02-02-2007, 12:52 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,047,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The odd thing is how good I was feeling earlier in the week, but now it's hot again, I am feeling depressed and a bit angry. To have to use fans in the winter is just horrible. We're getting cheated out of the best weather of the year, and in two months the unrelenting heat will begin, to be continuous till November. Just hope this brings an exciting hurricane season.

The least I would do is buy a window a/c unit. Its not expensive to cool just one room. Thats what ill probably do when I relocate north and ill crank the a/c on when theres a heatwave.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:12 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,775,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBaby View Post
That's very interesting. I'm a little confused, though. How is it that Yuma, AZ has 90% sunshine, but averages only 300 days of annual sunshine, whereas St. Petersburg, FL has about 66% sunshine, but averages 361 days of sushine. Is it the amount of sunshine in each day or year that's being recorded?
Wow! St Pete has 361 days of sunshine? Where did you get this from? What does Miami have?
Seems about right! FL - the land of sunshine! (and mosquitos! And I welcome them compared to that dratted cold! I have clothes with repellent already in/on them, so I'll be fine! Now for The Everglades, that's another story... I think those clothes, netting, and Off Deep Woods which is about 96% Deet will work though...! I think!? )
But to answer your question, it's the actual percent of sunshine per year.
What I assume this means is not how many days are pure sunshine, but how many hours per day. I think...

Old 02-02-2007, 04:33 AM

669 posts, read 3,184,553 times
In any case, Florida is very sunny compared to some places! Warm too!

As I walk outside in the windy cold today, I will definetly be considering Florida for relocation. That would be mean after this winter, only 2 more in PA then I'm off! Florida cools off enough in winter (northern Florida/central) that it will be a slight "change" without having frigid winds whipping in my face.

That's the major problem here. It's not that COLD, but it's often windy, so it's disgustingly uncomfortable. Anyways, I'd give anything for the Florida heat. Walking into an AC cooled house from the heat feels a lot more good then walking into a heated house from the cold.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:56 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,492,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
But to answer your question, it's the actual percent of sunshine per year.
What I assume this means is not how many days are pure sunshine, but how many hours per day. I think...
elfum and SunshineBaby: elfyum's explanation makes sense to me. The site I used counts the "# of Sunny Days A Year" (as opposed to # of cloudy days, partly cloudy days, mostly cloudy days, etc.). I know from living there that Miami gets lots of sun, but many days the sun shares the day with clouds and/or rain. Many other days are hazy, so these wouldn't be counted as sunny either.

BTW: This morning when I got up the sun was shining brightly (one of our 95 sunny days!) and it was 4 below zero. The wind chill was 20 below. This is one of those rare days when I wish I lived in Miami again! (but the sundogs I saw this morning were really beautiful--that's one saving grace of such a brutally cold day!)

RE: St. Pete, my site doesn't include St. Pete, but it says Tampa has 101 sunny days.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:24 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,092,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Sunrico--I wonder if that's one of those famous gaffs my friends who were in the military told me about, like when they ship down parkas to bases in the tropics, etc. Maybe some base in Alaska got air conditioners that were supposed to have been shipped to Patrick AFB, and Patrick got swamp coolers that were supposed to go to the desert!

"Our house was next to A1A, maybe 30 yards from the Atlantic Ocean... :cool" Way cool! I'd like to own a piece of that house!
That is a possible explanation... The area was superb for rasing a family back on the early 1980's, now is very populated. To make this more interesting the base had a few house on the dunes next to the Atlantic Ocean.

If this works the Billeting Units are to the left of the pin:
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...ing%20Units___

Old 02-02-2007, 04:30 PM

155 posts, read 282,732 times
Thumbs down Today's weather.

Did you see how HOT and muggy it was today (Feb 2, 2007)??

It was 77 degrees, not much sunshine, but BOY, it was muggy outside.

I stepped out to get the mail and I had no idea it was that muggy. My toes were all getting moist and sweaty right after I stepped outside for not even 5 minutes. I came back inside and checked the forecast... 89% humidity. It makes it all so unbearable.

I feel bad for the tornado victims, no house, now having to stand outside in this yucky weather and wait for help....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida