Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2007, 07:29 PM

101 posts, read 315,232 times

Advertisements

Wow. I think the sun has gone to alot of your Floridian's heads. You are SO defensive.

The next time you get a hurricane and your waiting on electricians from THE REST OF THE COUNTRY to get your A/C back on, enjoy the sweltering heat. But please, you can suffer but take care of your pets!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 07:34 PM

7 posts, read 16,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsjoe View Post
Wow. I think the sun has gone to alot of your Floridian's heads. You are SO defensive.

The next time you get a hurricane and your waiting on electricians from THE REST OF THE COUNTRY to get your A/C back on, enjoy the sweltering heat. But please, you can suffer but take care of your pets!!!!!!!
Do you live in New York, jetsjoe? I am not sure what your point is.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:23 AM

101 posts, read 315,232 times
New York, or where I live, has NOTHING to do with my point. That is why it is NOT mentioned in my post. As far as my point... just what I said. Not that complicated.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:15 AM

232 posts, read 886,695 times
I have lived in WV most of my life (Charleston area). I did live in Morgantown for a bit when I first got married (Hey ladywithafan). NAH does not know what he is talking about. Yes the past couple of winters here have not been that bad but they can be...it isnt so much the snow but the ice that you have to worry about. My heating bill last month was almost 400 dollars and I live in a new home less than 10years old with good insulated windows. Try going to work in the morning at 12 degrees and you think Hum..the roads look clear no snow only to find yourself in the neighbors yard because of black ice. (They dont clean the backroads and salt doesnt work on ice after it gets so cold). Another thing is like ladywiththefan mentioned it can get in the 90's here in the summer with 100 percent humidy, but unfortunately we have no beaches or pools to run to because most people dont have pools year around only the inflated kind you put up in the spring and take down in the summer, and yes we have bugs too!! The **** ants drove us crazy last summer along with those pesty asian beetles ( I think that is what they are called they look like ladybugs only they are orange). Once they start swarming it looks like your house is spotted and somehow no matter what you do they manage to get into your house and get everywhere..in the windowsills, walls etc. you go through your house and sweep them up only to find a ton of them the next day.(Dont squash them either because boy do they stink). I saw one just the other day in my daughters bedroom and it is Jan!! So if you think moving up north is going to be any better you may want to reconsider also. I know many people say they like the change of seasons...I do to but we have not had a change of season for a long time...yea the leaves still change but only for about a week and then you look up and the trees are bare because the past few years we have had only TWO seasons..hot and cold. Not many 70 days anymore around here it seems our spring and fall keeps getting shorter and shorter. Good luck on your move NAH.. I hope it is what you expect..

Old 01-28-2007, 04:51 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
How high did you crank the heat? All the sellers ive checked said they were paying like $150 for heat on a budget(they dont need 80 degrees lol) and the houses are older with less insulation. It doesnt get anywhere near as hot in northwest PA. The springs and falls are nice, I am supprised your location lacks them As for driving, that takes practice steering
We have a worse problem with ants/bugs than you do. I realise no location is perfect but at least your location isnt overpriced like south FL is...

Old 01-28-2007, 05:10 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Default Pay no mind, Shedav.

Give us a break, affordable. You can practice steering your whole life (what are you? 20?) and if you hit black ice, you're SOL.

As far as paying for heat, I pay $236/month 12 months/year for fuel oil, an my thermostat never goes above 70. ANd yes, that is on a budget with a discount for having signed up. Add $80-100/month for electricity to that.

If you're going to quote people, survey more than 3 and get your facts straight.

I don't know where Morgantown is, but, yes, we have 4 seasons. Summer lasts 2-3 months. Spring lasts about a month (my favorite time of the year, btw), but it lasts about a month and often includes a ton of mud from the melting snow and rain), fall also lasts about a month and if you get too much rain and any kind of wind, the beautiful leaves are gone in a heartbeat. So, give or take a couple of weeks here and there, winter lasts around 5-6 months, pretty much from November till April. And, yes, it snows here in May, about every other year.

When you've lived somewhere other than Florida, you can let us know how it is.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:18 PM

Beleive it or not we keep our thermostat at 70 and last night I actually turned it down to 67!!! Now granted, we are not on a budget because in the summer (because I rarely turn the A/C on until midday when its 90 and 100 percent humidity) then I turn it off at night my bill runs around 150 or so. Before building our house 10 years ago I lived in an older two story home that was beautiful but with poor insulation and our bill was CRAZY for 3 months it was 1200 dollars!!! even the gas company could not believe it but everything checked out when I had them inspect. I think my driving abilities are pretty standard with the rest of society contrary to my husbands beleif. LOL.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:30 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
I am not going to argue, you are entitled to your own opinion. Theres alot of reasons im unhappy with Florida and im not staying so its a moot point even if I liked the endless summers which I dont. I even made a poll and 80% voted for "temperate" so for everyone that hates a temperate climate, many others love it. I hope I enjoy the northern weather and if not, ill deal with it for the other great things living up north offers. Thanks for reading.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:33 PM

nomoresnow have you also noticed how "spring" and "fall" everyone talks about lately has been nothing but rain, rain, rain??? I get so excited about the prospect of spring coming only to wake up to rain most of the time during the spring months. Unlike florida when it rains it doesnt dry up either it just makes one gigantic mud pie!! and when the snow starts to melt it just adds to the mix and everything is so DIRTY.

need affordable home I know FL is over priced just by doing my research but the weather is a BIG plus.. we have high taxes here also but unfortunately not the luxury of the sunshine!!
I hope you do like the northern weather where are you looking to relocate?

Last edited by shedav; 01-28-2007 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: wrong name

Old 01-28-2007, 05:35 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Sorry. It just gets a little tiresome sometimes. It's not that I'm unhappy with my life; it's just that I've had enough of winters and am looking forward to my move to my new home. I come on the board to share that happiness and it bothers me to get shot down so frequently. However, I appreciate the insight of those who live in the area and realize that everyone has their own preferences. I wish you luck in finding your ideal home and hope that I've found mine in Florida.

We should compare notes in a year.

Friends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida