Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
What do you think dogs will do if they are protective? If he was being attacked by a mugger, would the do sit idly by? How do you know a Collie wouldn't have done the same thing?
Agreed. I have a greyhound--on the bottom of the ten LEAST likely to bite breeds, and I can tell you from experience that he WILL bite to protect his home and his pack. He snapped at a friend of my son's when he came into the house without being invited in by someone who lives there, and fortunately did obey the command to "go lay down" before he actually did any damage.

Dogs brains are wired to protect their pack. The family and other household pets are part of that pack. A dog is wired to lay down it's life to protect and defend.

The problem is that some dogs aren't well trained to stop when commanded by a higher ranking pack member (humans) and/or become overly aggressive in protecting--like a dog that will go charging through a window to attack the mailman delivering mail to the box at the end of the street.

Training a dog takes time and a lot of patience. Dogs aren't as smart as humans. The don't have as much reasoning ability, and a lot of what they do is done because their natural instincts tell them to do so. The majority of people do not properly train their dogs. Just because the dog sits or does a trick on command, the dog is not trained.

The other part of the problem is that some dogs have incredible jaw strength. Coupled with the pack mentality and poor training, it can make for a very dangerous dog.

I would not rent to someone with a dog of any breed unless they could prove successful completion of one of a very small handful of intensive training programs (the puppy training at PetSmart is not one of them ), an extra pet security deposit of $1000 or more, and the addition of myself as an additional named insured on the dec page of the liability policy ($1 million for large dangerous breeds). Anyone who is willing to comply with all three of those conditions is both confident of their animals behavior and has also taken the time needed to have a very well trained animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 10:07 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
What do you think dogs will do if they are protective? If he was being attacked by a mugger, would the do sit idly by? How do you know a Collie wouldn't have done the same thing?
How can I tell that you are a member of the legal profession? You answer one question with two questions of your own, and never get back to the question that was asked of you!!!

OK, Counselor, I am not always the most trustful of souls, but here goes....
Would you rent your Florida home to me if I brought my 2 pit bulls as pets? Would you represent me pro bono if I became your tenant and my pit hurt someone (only fair since I will rely on your advice!)

Old 10-01-2009, 01:26 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
How can I tell that you are a member of the legal profession? You answer one question with two questions of your own, and never get back to the question that was asked of you!!!

OK, Counselor, I am not always the most trustful of souls, but here goes....
Would you rent your Florida home to me if I brought my 2 pit bulls as pets?
Sure. If I was a landlord.
Quote:
Would you represent me pro bono if I became your tenant and my pit hurt someone (only fair since I will rely on your advice!)
Are you out of your mind?

Old 10-01-2009, 01:31 PM

261 posts, read 705,050 times
I always find it hilarious that Bull Terriers are included on the lists. It just shows how little people know about these breeds. BTs are fat couch potatoes by nature and just funny, great dogs. The only thing mine ever did to anyone was step on their toes on the way to the refrigerator.

By the way, my sister and I were both bitten in the face by dogs as children. I was bitten by a Dachshund and she was bitten by a Yellow Lab.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,928 times
Me and my girlfriend need help as well we have a pit mix and hes soooo nice and this is sooo stressful i cant understand how they can judge a breed and not the dog it self i have met more nice pits than nice regular dogs so i just dont know what to do

Old 04-28-2015, 03:21 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Yeah, it is tough for pit bull owners....especially when one of them eats a baby.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:49 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I can understand a landlords reluctance to rent to some one with a dog that has a reputation for going psycho and the potential for causing great bodily harm. the landlord has no way of knowing your Pitbull is friendly and wouldnt hurt a fly,all he sees is a Pitbull.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:09 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Yeah, it is tough for pit bull owners....especially when one of them eats a baby.
they can be mean dogs - wouldn't want my neighbors owning one...

Old 04-28-2015, 05:29 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,837,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptsearch523 View Post
Me and my girlfriend need help as well we have a pit mix and hes soooo nice and this is sooo stressful i cant understand how they can judge a breed and not the dog it self i have met more nice pits than nice regular dogs so i just dont know what to do

Don't blame landlords. Insurance companies have put strict limits on their homeowners policies. A landlord is a risk of losing his policy if a dog from the "dangerous breed" list is on the property.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:10 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I'm not in your state but hate the 'dangerous breeds' law. As the owner of rotties (who by the way are sweet as can be!) we always have trouble getting homeowners insurance because of them...And they are fenced in! Frustrating isn't it?!
Good luck to you
I agree, the sweetest dog I ever met was a Rottie, and my grandparents has a Rottie/black lab mix that was very sweet too. They are lumped in with Pitt Bulls because they can be dangerous, but it depends on the owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida