Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 14,147 times

Advertisements

I have read other posts where this has been dicussed a little bit, and it seems many people recommend the Tampa area for pit bull owners who are relocating to Florida. But I have contacted several apartment complexes in Tampa, all of which have said no. If Tampa is the place to go for pit-friendly living, where can I find a place?

I have read the threads about the laws regarding the "aggressive breeds" in FL, having dogs on beaches, etc. but as I understand it only Miami Dade county has restrictions against pit bulls.

I am looking to relocate to Florida with my pit bull / bull terrier mix. She's a little rolly-polly happy dog, only about 45 pounds.. but mention the words "pit bull" and suddenly she's a terrible dog! I won't go on and on about all the trouble we have to go through, because I'm sure that if you own any of the dogs on the dreaded "list" you know exactly what I'm talking about!

Regardless of what you think of any of the so-called "aggressive breeds", this thread is not for that debate. I am hoping that someone out there knows of any apartment building that will at least allow a pet interview or give us the chance instead of turning us away because of the breed. It seems that every single property has breed restrictions and I just can't make the 1200 mile journey and buy a home immediately. The city doesn't really make a difference to me at this point, but I'd prefer somewhere on the Gulf side.

Your input is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 04:56 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Moderator cut: edit: off-topic I would try to rent from a private owner that may allow it. Look at listings on craigslist.

Last edited by riveree; 07-26-2008 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: As the OP stated, the thread is not about personal opinions of the dog type

Old 07-26-2008, 04:59 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,893 times
I'm not in your state but hate the 'dangerous breeds' law. As the owner of rotties (who by the way are sweet as can be!) we always have trouble getting homeowners insurance because of them...And they are fenced in! Frustrating isn't it?!
Good luck to you

Old 07-26-2008, 05:08 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,584 times
The real problem is insurance. Companies classify breeds as dangerous. There's no way to classify dog owners. I've had chows for years all friendly. You might start looking to renting single-family and calling your dog a mixed-breed or mut.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:45 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
I have a Pit and it was not too hard finding a SFH to rent while I built.
I am up in Spring Hill though.
You will have trouble with apartments and condos.
As you have seen many have restrictions.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:27 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
My HOA didn't even allow a KITTEN, nevermind pit bulls. No pets restrictions is a real pain. Eliminates a whole lot of potential renters, even buyers.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:40 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Chrissy,

I have a pit and a pit mix, so I understand what you're going through . One of mine is tiny too, my APBT is only 42 lbs.

I have not heard that Tampa is any easier than anywhere else with breed discrimination .

I'm in Jacksonville, and thankfully, the city has no breed specific laws. I only know of one neighborhood - in neighboring Clay county - which has HOA laws against pits (though a Presa Canario is fine by them ).

I think you're going to find that you need to locate a specific apartment where they accept all breeds, no matter which city. The problem, as FLBob said, is the insurers, they started this problem, and the same insurers are all over Florida.

From time to time I see ads for apartments who say they accept "all breeds, all sizes", maybe you post on the Tampa forum and ask members to keep an eye out for those kinds of ads for you?

Also, you might luck out with a private renter whose has one of those rare insurers with no breed discrimination list.

We own our home and I had a tough time obtaining insurance because of my dogs - even though my dogs have never so much as growled at a person . If we were in a situation where we had to rent, we would consider living well outside the city in a less desirable area if we had to - out in the areas where the rules are more casual.

Good luck to you and I commend you for going that extra mile for your dogs .

Old 07-26-2008, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 14,147 times
Thanks everyone for your helpful advice. I never even thought of craigslist! I will definitely check that out. Looking for a private owner is a great idea too.

Thanks again!

Old 07-26-2008, 07:36 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy43 View Post
Thanks everyone for your helpful advice. I never even thought of craigslist! I will definitely check that out. Looking for a private owner is a great idea too.

Thanks again!
Glad I could help. I am sure you will find a private owner that will rent to you and your dog.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:38 PM

63 posts, read 279,575 times
Smile private owner...

I live in Vero Beach and have a 4/4 bath gorgeous new home for rent and have no problem with someone owning a dog. I have a weimaraner and she has had three litters of puppies out here. I know pits can be sweet, but I also know lots of people think differently... do I need to be concerned about my HO insurance when renting? Will they drop me if I rent to someone with a big dog??? Personally, as long as my wood floors arent' getting scratched up or things getting ruined, I dont' care what my renters have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida